A couple of "why's"

AFSteliga

Token Canadian Moder'eh'tor
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I will anyway.

There are a lot of things that I've been trying to figure out since i got here and looked at some of the screen names and career fields.

1. Why are Artillerymen (and women) called "Redlegs"?
2. Why are Marines called "Jarheads"?
3. Why are AF personelle called "Zoomies"?...I think that's what they're called.

There are others, but I can't remember them right now.

1) The Arty guys used to wear red leather leggings back in the day.

2) I BELIEVE this comes from the standard Marine haircut from back when everyone had flat-tops, it kind of makes your head look cylindrical, like a jar. But this is just supposition.

3) Because they "zoom" around in their planes.

Actually Redneck it came from the leather strap they ***** someone said it looked like their heads were screwed on to their bodies.

"Jarhead" - A slang term used by sailors as early as World War II to refer to members of the Marine Corps, drawing the term from the resemblance of the Marine dress blues uniform, with its high collar, to a Mason jar which at the time was made from blue glass.

"Leatherneck" - This nickname goes back to the leather stock or neckpiece, which was part of the Marine Corps uniform from 1775 to 1875. The leather collar was designed to protect the jugular vein from saber slashes. It also insured that Marines kept their heads erect and maintained military bearing. Although no longer used, it is commemorated by the standing collar on the dress blue and dress white uniform.

Back