A country's sport which is football, heaven help us.

mjahrens

I have an elderly Arabian (Egyptian) neighbor, now a US citizen, rabidly pro-marine, who said when he was in the mid-east during WWII, that a German officer was quoted as saying he had observed an American football game about 1940 and said "Any country that has (American) football as a national sport...God help their enemies".

I have heard this now more than once, and both times from someone from the Mid-East. The first time in 1970 and now in 04. Another version of it was, again from a German officer, "They play war as a sport, every schoolchild understands strategy, the country that challenges them will be in grave difficulty."

Any leads on if this was a real quote or true story? Was it by a German? What is the connection to Arabia?

Thanks, Joe

I have an elderly Arabian (Egyptian) neighbor, now a US citizen, rabidly pro-marine, who said when he was in the mid-east during WWII, that a German officer was quoted as saying he had observed an American football game about 1940 and said "Any country that has (American) football as a national sport...God help their enemies".

I have heard this now more than once, and both times from someone from the Mid-East. The first time in 1970 and now in 04. Another version of it was, again from a German officer, "They play war as a sport, every schoolchild understands strategy, the country that challenges them will be in grave difficulty."

Any leads on if this was a real quote or true story? Was it by a German? What is the connection to Arabia?

Thanks, Joe

Who was playing "American football" in the Middle east in 1940? More likely Brits playing rugby, which is far more "physical" than football (American).:smile:

I remember a quote from a German officer in charge of a POW camps.

The German officer was watching a game of rugby when he was approached by a British soldier who asked, if he would like to make up a rugby team and play against the POW's

The German officer replied, “Only if we can keep our guns.”

Back