Counterinsurgeny Field Manual

istealfreefood

The Counterinsurgency Field Manual (FM 3-24, Marine Corps Warfighting Publication 3-33.5) has recently been released. It is a very popular book, among the civilian world as well as the military. Has anybody here read it yet? I have just started to read it. The major point that it makes is that in counterinsurgency, the love of the local people must be won. Instead of past wars where the safety of ones own troops and the destruction of the enemies were the main objective, this is about keeping the civilians safe. One must balance the safety of his own troops with winning the support of th locals. This is a great manual, and should be read by all, even those not going to Iraq.

Check out the Small War Fighting Manuel also. It was written in the 20's-30's in realtion to the Banana Wars but still relevent.

I saw it on the shelf from Barnes & Nobles in Austin. I almost bought it when I look inside of it, however, it looks interest.

Didn't know that you have to secure the perimeter first then search the enemy. :S

yeah, I've read the Small Wars Manual. That was definitely worth it. I think that will always apply and is certainly a classic for manuals.

Back