Coulter Makes Much-Anticipated Visit

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Packed Jorgensen Hears Shortened Speech

By: Frances Morales

Issue date: 12/8/05 Section: News
e2x09vhf.gif

Media Credit: Erin Mizla
Political author and commentator Ann Coulter speaks during Wednesday night\'s event sponsored by the College Republicans in Jorgensen Auditorium.

More than 2,000 people streamed through the doors of the Jorgensen Center of Performing Arts Wednesday, all to see, hear, support or criticize the conservative speaker Ann Coulter.

Campus police were in attendance to maintain order as College Republicans rounded up their brothers and sisters from chapters across Connecticut and some out-of-state, to lend a hand at the event.

Supporters came to hear Coulter, others waited out in the freezing cold weather with their poster boards wisped by the wind, all to protest against Coulter.
And the wait was over.

Coulter, who came in late due to a delayed flight, strode in from Miami, with a smile, and spoke amongst the mixtures of cheers and boos.

Coulter poked fun at liberals and defended President George W. Bush, but her speech was interrupted by boos after she made several comments about gays, only to stir up snickering and boos up on the balcony.

"I think we have a long way to go with censorship when we have \'Will and Grace\' on TV," Coulter said as she laughed. "I think someone finally got the joke in the liberal section."

The event, which was sponsored by Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, lasted less than 30 minutes before her speech was cut short as groups of students seated in the balconies began protesting Coulter shouting, "You ****."

One student shouted, "I want my money back."

"That was an affecting response by the liberals," she said in response. "And it took them two months to come up with that."

A South Park song, "Kyle\'s mom is a big fat *****," broke out, and some students jeered.

Coulter continued to laugh and said that liberals were "big, fat, taunting babies."

"It didn\'t matter what the song was," Coulter said after the lecture. "I\'m giving a speech, they blast something and I can\'t speak. What does that say of how powerful what it is I have to say. They are so afraid that if someone hears me, they will change their mind. I guess they shouldn\'t be now that I think about it."
The speech went straight into a question and answer session between Coulter and students.

Coulter defended Bush in that U.S. is winning the war in Iraq, and said American troops would be out of Iraq, "sooner than Bosnia."

One student asked what would Coulter do if she had a gay son.

"Did I tell you, you were adopted, " Coulter answered.

Another student who said she was a lesbian, called Coulter hot.
She later admitted the comment she made about homosexuals was a joke and had made the comments to stir up the people who were already upset.

In response to comments made after 9/11 about converting Muslims in Iraq into Christianity, Coulter stood by her comment.
"This is what America has done to create freedom," she said. "America was founded on Christian principals, and the idea people could live in freedom."

A book signing was held after the lecture.

Craig Albert, a political science instructor at UConn, commented on the aftermath of the lecture.

"I don\'t think liberals take her too sensitively," Albert said. "I think they do it for a purpose, but I also think they are extreme with the protest that went on tonight. I think it goes against liberal cause to preach tolerance and go against hate-speech and they show so much hate toward somebody, which I think is hypocritical. Clearly she says things that makes people upset and she too should be held accountable."

Coulter commented on the reaction some students who criticized her had during her speech.

"Right-wingers are polite," she said. "You would never see that at Cindy Sheehan's speech at a college campus and she calls George Bush the greatest terrorist in the world for Israel for the Jews and America isn't worth fighting for. I promise you no right-wingers would shut down her speech."

David Brewster, a 5th-semester political science major and a Coulter-supporter said he did not find her comments to be racist, "but if you take them out of context, it can make it look hateful, but I don't think she is," he said.

Others differed in opinion, like Jorge Cruz, a 5th-semester psychology major.

"I can't believe we paid to support racism," Cruz said. "She produces hate-crime."

There was some confusion whether or not the media were allowed to take photos of Coulter's lecture.

Lisa De Pasquale, program director of Clare Booth Luce Policy Institute said that Clare Booth did not prohibit photos to be taken but College Republicans made the decision, amongst confusion and misinterpretation.

"I didn't know that until not too long ago," she said. "We want photographers there, we just didn't want video. It is part of our policy that there is no video, so they might have misinterpreted us," De Pasquale said.

Coulter is very smart. She is an expert at playing the current trend of fanaticism for vast monatary proffit. She hasn't been as good as Michael Moore as of yet but I think she's got staying power with the right more than flavor-of-the-month Moore did with his fanatics. So I think Coulter will be able to get more cash than Moore in the long run because she'll be banking longer than he will.

The real idiots are the people on the left who take her so seriously they'll give her nation-wide publicity like this. It really is amazing the depth of depravity this nation has between its ears.

I'm not bashing Coulter, I think she's entertaining.

Last edited:
Ever heard of Thomas Sowell Whispering, hes a lot like Coulter with about double the IQ.

There's a difference between Coulter and Moore.

Whether you agree with his opinions are not, Moore usually only targets people in charge such as the Bush Administration, Big Business, the Saudi Royal Family etc. Coulter on the other hand targets those who happen to disagree with her ultra rightwing political beliefs, including half of the American population, nations that disagree with American foreign policy and even Repubicans would don't toe the GOP line. Coulter simply groups these people as 'liberals'. I also resent that she refers to as 'traitors' people who dont agree with everything she says. To me the only 'traitor' is Coulter, as she seems to want to prevent certain Americans from exercising her ability to free speech.

I do agree with Whispering Death, the liberals would be smarter if they just let Coulter run out of steam. Her (and Moore's to a degree) popularity stems from their ability to agitate the other side. Both she and Moore are windbags, neither are particularily bright or have anything interesting to say. Nor do either one of them offer any real solution to current problems. It would be best to let them run out of hot air.

Last edited:
I think Coulter is pretty bright, she's smarter than me. Money is a pretty good quantifiable way to tell how successful someone is and she's WAY more successful that I'll be for a long time at least.

As for Moore, he just flat out lies and he lies to a large audiance. He's a worse person that Coulter is. She just hits a nitche market with wit and humor really. "How to talk to a liberal... if you must" come on, even the title is satirical. I don't think you can take anything she says too seriously but Moore really wanted you to believe what he was saying. Besides, come on mmmarsh, who would you rather have on the right anyways, Coulter or that crazy Michael Savage. Now that guy is a nut. Coulter is entertaining and likeable to me but Savage just scares me.

Whispering

When I said Moore and Coulter were windbags I was referring to their political opinions, but their ability to make money is beyond debate. By the way, Mike Moore is much, much, richer than Coulter. Fehrenheit 9/11 made $320 Million in Box Office seats world wide. Then factor in the DVD, Moores's books, public apperences, tv show, other movies etc. Micheal Moore doesnt flat out lie too much, but he certainly embelishes, exaggerates and tell little white lies. For example on Bush military service Moore refered to Bush as 'a deserter'. Not true, he was AWOL but to call him a deserter is unfair and slanderous. While I do happen to agree with Moore on most issues, I cannot rely on him for facts, a shame too because the facts are out there. Also, like O'Reilly I think hes got both a huge ego and a real jerk in real life.

I dont find Coulter funny at all, I agree her audience is smaller but she is simply too nasty. Savage and Coulter preach hatred, and I simply cannot stomach that, there too much of it in the world as it is. A book review in the conservative Washington Times wrote "I tried to read Anne Coulter's 'Treason' this weekend but failed. Life is too short to be spend on xxx pages of rant".

Of all the right wing talking heads I would go with O'Reilly, as I occasionally agree with him on issues. My true favorite is Al Franken who is certainly liberal (and I dont agree with all his opinions) but is well informed and much more tolerant than any of those I mentioned above.

Last edited:
O'Reilly is the only real commentator I can stomach for any period of time. I think he actually does a pretty good job breaking down some politics and foreign issues. But his constant moralizing, picking on certain groups, and rediculous crusades "save christmas" are more than too much for me.

I perfer to just get the hard news and make my opinions myself :D

Back