Could we still produce military hardware today like WW2?

Red_Army

If we wanted to, are we still capable of building planes, ships, and tanks at a very fast rate, like World War 2? I mean, mass production of Aircraft Carriers, build 100,000 F-22 Raptors in 1 year? Are we still capable of doing that?

Yes and no, yes it is technically possible with our robust robotics technology but practically not really since the U.S. is an information economy instead of the thriving industiral economy it was at the time. So we don't have all the factories and such that can be quickly switched into a war footing. However, the advantage of the U.S. economy is the advantage in technology an information economy brings. So whereas it is not as easy to pump out in mass, each unit is far superior.

Problem is also that today's planes cost so much more than planes of WW2 that it would bankrupt the economy to build planes in number like in WW2....one option is the adoption of a "Mass producable fighter or patrol craft" like the Interceptor:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2002/020228-attack01.htm
Less armaments, but enough for patrol flights next to bombers - more or less same idea as the P51?

Aircraft carriers - Not sure we will need to churn those out in the numbers we used to - they are so much more powerful these days and much better protected - no kamikaze will get past a phalanx, would it?

Building the abrahms in the numbers built during WW2 would be impossible. It is too expensive and complicated - follow the same procedure as with eaircraft - go lower-tech, with same speed - maybe less armor and gizmo's.

i think you dont need as many tanks ships and planes anyways. so there is no point in building them. a platton of tanks today has the firepower of a tank company in wwII....

Sherman, I agree 100% with that statement. The questions, however was, if needed, could we do it. What do you think? The F22, Abrahms, Stryker and aircraft carriers are horrendously complex and expensive machines - can we mass produce them if needed?
Would it not serve us well to look at simplified designs? I think I will start a new thread on this....

bushpig1998 said:
Sherman, I agree 100% with that statement. The questions, however was, if needed, could we do it. What do you think? The F22, Abrahms, Stryker and aircraft carriers are horrendously complex and expensive machines - can we mass produce them if needed?
Would it not serve us well to look at simplified designs? I think I will start a new thread on this....

Overengineered military equipment was the strategy that Germany followed in WW2. It didn't work for them as it made it harder for them to replace their combat losses when their industrial capacity was being steadily eroded over a period of time. For almost all countries following a simplified equipment design strategy is the best course.

Thanks Doppleganger. I agree on the overengineered german weapons systems of ww2. About the best design they had when it came to simplicity was the panzerfaust and some of the sub MG's - oh yeah, lets not forget the MG42.

it all very well to make all of these weapons systems, but you need very highly skilled personelle to operate them too

America can make the third world rich by employing them to make weapons. A win/win situation :p

Anyway, there will be no chance for the US or any other country (Maybe russia or China) to massproduce numbers like World War 2. Now you have computers, much more rare materials and a larger maintenance cost.

If the germans had an industry like the USA in WW2, i believe they could produce a hell lot of Tiger tanks.

We need the world war 2 times back.. No more skills now when your in combat. Basically press a button a mile away and mission is complete. Same for the enemy.

Maybe you should refrain from comments about skills in combat until you've served in a combat unit, hmm?

As to whether or not we could produce weaponry in the multitudes we did in WWII, yes, we could _if_ it was the technology of WWII or something not much more advanced. Cost is the measure. The Raptor is probably the apex of costly weaponry at least until somebody figures how to bring the price tag down. It was estimated that if continued at the rate at which the cost for technology had escalated until we got to the Raptor that by 2050 we'd be able to afford to make two planes in a plane series. The Army, Navy, and Air Force would get to fly about every other day during the week and the Marines would only get to fly on weekends. That's why the Joint Force Fighter was conceived. To alieviate that ever more costly rate of production. Where that road will take us is yet to be determined.

Their not comments to direspect all of you who serve well for our country but its kinda true. WW2 was more hand to hand and up close and personal.

I don't think any country would be able to mass produce right now. The equipment everyone has right now is way too expensive to mass produce. Even the United States couldn't afford it.

Eagle, don't you think the French said that about the English longbow?

And when the gun was invented?

And when brittish officers where getting shot off at uncivilized range by American sharpshooters?

And when the first humans with sticks got mauled by another pack of rockthrowing humans?

As mod: :
WW2 was more hand to hand and up close and personal.

Eaglestrike, until you acctually carry a weapon to defend your country, I suggest you refrain from remarks like that. They are not only offensive to some users, but portray you as someone who finds war to be a cute little game. Remember: "War is delightful onl to those who have no experience in it".

Now, as a user:

What do you think? The F22, Abrahms, Stryker and aircraft carriers are horrendously complex and expensive machines - can we mass produce them if needed?

No, not in those noumbers. But probably yuo could increase your production and multiply many times over...

Anyway, there will be no chance for the US or any other country (Maybe russia or China) to massproduce numbers like World War 2.

I dont think russia has a bigger industry than the US...there only 150 million people in russia and there are almost 300 milio in the USA. Also US has much better manufacturing tech.

SHERMAN said:
I dont think russia has a bigger industry than the US...there only 150 million people in russia and there are almost 300 milio in the USA. Also US has much better manufacturing tech.

For the vast majority of its existence, Russia was an underachiever in many ways, industrial output being one of them. After the brief few decades where the Communist system allowed them to lop-side their industry to military means, Russia today is once again an underachiever in industrial terms. Until they begin to fully modernize their industry and shackle their enormous corruption problems (far from easy) they will remain so.

IMO don't bank on Russia capturing former glories for at least the next 20 years, if ever. They will also continue to have mounting problems with states wishing to cede away. I don't think Russia will ever recapture it's past glories myself.

Eaglestrike, until you acctually carry a weapon to defend your country, I suggest you refrain from remarks like that. They are not only offensive to some users, but portray you as someone who finds war to be a cute little game. Remember: "War is delightful onl to those who have no experience in it".

Affirmative :)

Back