Could we still produce military hardware today like WW2?

--

March 16th, 2005  
Red_Army

Topic: Could we still produce military hardware today like WW2?

If we wanted to, are we still capable of building planes, ships, and tanks at a very fast rate, like World War 2? I mean, mass production of Aircraft Carriers, build 100,000 F-22 Raptors in 1 year? Are we still capable of doing that?
March 16th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yes and no, yes it is technically possible with our robust robotics technology but practically not really since the U.S. is an information economy instead of the thriving industiral economy it was at the time. So we don't have all the factories and such that can be quickly switched into a war footing. However, the advantage of the U.S. economy is the advantage in technology an information economy brings. So whereas it is not as easy to pump out in mass, each unit is far superior.
March 16th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Problem is also that today's planes cost so much more than planes of WW2 that it would bankrupt the economy to build planes in number like in WW2....one option is the adoption of a "Mass producable fighter or patrol craft" like the Interceptor:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/ne...8-attack01.htm
Less armaments, but enough for patrol flights next to bombers - more or less same idea as the P51?

Aircraft carriers - Not sure we will need to churn those out in the numbers we used to - they are so much more powerful these days and much better protected - no kamikaze will get past a phalanx, would it?

Building the abrahms in the numbers built during WW2 would be impossible. It is too expensive and complicated - follow the same procedure as with eaircraft - go lower-tech, with same speed - maybe less armor and gizmo's.
--
March 16th, 2005  
SHERMAN

i think you dont need as many tanks ships and planes anyways. so there is no point in building them. a platton of tanks today has the firepower of a tank company in wwII....
March 16th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Sherman, I agree 100% with that statement. The questions, however was, if needed, could we do it. What do you think? The F22, Abrahms, Stryker and aircraft carriers are horrendously complex and expensive machines - can we mass produce them if needed?
Would it not serve us well to look at simplified designs? I think I will start a new thread on this....
March 16th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpig1998
Sherman, I agree 100% with that statement. The questions, however was, if needed, could we do it. What do you think? The F22, Abrahms, Stryker and aircraft carriers are horrendously complex and expensive machines - can we mass produce them if needed?
Would it not serve us well to look at simplified designs? I think I will start a new thread on this....
Overengineered military equipment was the strategy that Germany followed in WW2. It didn't work for them as it made it harder for them to replace their combat losses when their industrial capacity was being steadily eroded over a period of time. For almost all countries following a simplified equipment design strategy is the best course.
March 16th, 2005  
bushpig1998

Thanks Doppleganger. I agree on the overengineered german weapons systems of ww2. About the best design they had when it came to simplicity was the panzerfaust and some of the sub MG's - oh yeah, lets not forget the MG42.
March 16th, 2005  
chewie_nz

it all very well to make all of these weapons systems, but you need very highly skilled personelle to operate them too
March 17th, 2005  
Kilgore

America can make the third world rich by employing them to make weapons. A win/win situation :P

Anyway, there will be no chance for the US or any other country (Maybe russia or China) to massproduce numbers like World War 2. Now you have computers, much more rare materials and a larger maintenance cost.

If the germans had an industry like the USA in WW2, i believe they could produce a hell lot of Tiger tanks.
March 17th, 2005  
EagleZtrike

We need the world war 2 times back.. No more skills now when your in combat. Basically press a button a mile away and mission is complete. Same for the enemy.