Could USA defeat USSR before the WW2 begun??

doomshot said:
US could have won against the USSR before WW2 because the Red Army was severly depleted, and had primitive technology.

The US' technology was not a whole lot better, with the exception of our Air Corps and Navy, our armed forces were almost equal, and the T-34 was the best tank of the era, better than all but the most powerful german "super" tanks.

The main part about the fact is the Soviet tanks still have to make it over here to fight us. wich is where our navy would have hopfully come in and stopped alot of it.

eh, they both have the same problems when it comes to transporting weapons. The Americans just happen to have a little advantage.

doomshot said:
US could have won against the USSR before WW2 because the Red Army was severly depleted
The Red Army was about 20 times the size of the US Army. Personally, I don't think that puts the odds in the USA's favor.

and had primitive technology.
Well, they had better tanks and more of them. Their aircraft were definitely not inferior either. Once again, they had a lot more of them than we did. We hadn't really focused much effort on making a strong military. We weren't focussed on making quality military hardware either. The USSR was HEAVILY focussed on military buildup and technology. I've yet to see it accurately depicted unfortunately. The Red Army was enormous in 1939. They were also reasonably well equipped. The popular myth is makes the opposite statement.

Also when America's in a major war almost all our industrial capacity can be converted for war purposes. Also we had a bunch of people them who thought war would be fun and exciting. Which means our army would of had motivation while the Soviets would mainly be poor unfortunate conscripts. Though Assuming WW2 happened afterward, Well let's say you and my wouldn't be having this conversation.
The reason the USA was in no possition to take on the USSR prior to 1939 was simple. The USSR had a mostly wartime economy in peacetime. The USA had next to nothing, with the notable exception of the Pacific Fleet. I posted the sizes of the relative armies earlier BTW. You're expecting a whole lot of a 175,000 man army. By 1945, the USA had the opportunity to make up for its lack of military. It took several years to build one.

It all depends on how we went about it I think. If we tried to invade no but if we made them come to us and fight then yes. In history anyone who has fought a battle in their own climate on their own land has lost horribly.

doomshot said:
US could have won against the USSR before WW2 because the Red Army was severly depleted, and had primitive technology. Also when America's in a major war almost all our industrial capacity can be converted for war purposes. Also we had a bunch of people them who thought war would be fun and exciting. Which means our army would of had motivation while the Soviets would mainly be poor unfortunate conscripts. Though Assuming WW2 happened afterward, Well let's say you and my wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Red Army in 1939 was the largest standing army in the world, had the best tanks in the world, and had more of them than anyone else.

There's no way in hell the US Army could have taken on the Red Army at that time (even if it had been possible) and been anything other than decisively defeated, smashed even.

Size could be a factor though in trying to control the soilders and keep everything going right in order.

Ultimately, it all comes back to the same thing: Neither nation could have really attacked each other without going to A LOT of trouble. Neither one was even slightly interested in doing so anyways.

Re: Actually...

AmericanSweetheart said:
Actually Quite a few people were intrested, but they were on our side at the time so we couldnt loose their support however small it might have been. Patton thought we should have just fought them while we were at it.

You're referring to 1945 not 1939 I assume? There's another thread on that topic that you might wanna take a look at.

Back