Could the US and UK defeat Iran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus Excalibur

With rumours of Iranian involvement in Iraqi insurgency and the risk that Iraqi elections may result in a Shiite goverment that comes under the increasing of Tehran, then the possibility of conflict is a very real threat.

Also if Bush is elected again does this increase the stakes and with reports that the US ordered UK troops to attack Iranian revolutionary guards after they pressed over the border between the two countries then incidents like this could light the touchpaper.

Iran of course would be a totally different prospect to Iraq, larger population, an airforce, suicide regiments. WMD's?

We would win, but what is a win?

Who thinks it will happen and what is the outcome likely to be?

"We have ceased to be a nation in retreat" Margaret Thatcher 1982

I can see the break-up of Iraq into Sunni, Shiite and smaller factions. I can also see the Shiite faction coming under the influence of Tehran. Whether the US/UK would wanna do anything about it is a different matter.

I don't think we'll see any future conflict with Iran like the one we're having with Iraq. And if there was a conflict unless WMDs are confirmed it would go along similar lines to the two gulf wars. The larger population will have no impact IMO and the Iranian airforce will either refuse to fight or be shot down in the first few days of any conflict. Suicide regiments on the ground have a very limited impact in a conventional battle where one side has air supremacy.

Good question, I've been really curious on what the heck to do with Iran. Any invasion of sorts will be met with an insurgency problem probably 10x worse than Iraq, so I'm thinking that's out of the question.

Regime removal is out, but perhaps a limited war, merely to humiliate their armed forces and disrupt their nuclear facilities as much as possible? A show of force to deter Tehran from messing around?

I'm not sure, but it would certainly require more troopers. Iran is a very ugly situation...

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
Good question, I've been really curious on what the heck to do with Iran. Any invasion of sorts will be met with an insurgency problem probably 10x worse than Iraq, so I'm thinking that's out of the question.

Regime removal is out, but perhaps a limited war, merely to humiliate their armed forces and disrupt their nuclear facilities as much as possible? A show of force to deter Tehran from messing around?

I'm not sure, but it would certainly require more troopers. Iran is a very ugly situation...

Sounds good choco, but I'm not fond of sending our troops into a country where they will charge at you with 20lbs of C4 on their backs and selflessly annhilate themselves. Think if they had nukes and we invaded? They'd send swarms into occupied regions and cause mayhem... :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back