could u do this in the army or would u be fired or sumfin else?

ranger24

ive always woundered if you could turn down a prommotion.
cuz im one of those people who doesnt really like to be a big deal or in other words i would prefer to stay a low rank than to be promoted.
and it depends on the rank but if u get to a certain rank could u stop going into the thik of it(fights).and i would much rather prefer to keep goin in to the fight instead of doin other stuff. i was woundering if you could turn down a promation or if u get fired or (forgot the wor its like demoted or sumfin) or if u keep goin in fights no matter what your promotion is. could u help me out here?

:2guns:

It's not really something you need to be thinking about right now. That's way down the line.

You need to remember that you're not doing this for you. That's one of the first things you'll learn in ROTC - you exist for your men and women, and for the needs of the service.

13th, he's asking an honest question. No need to berate him like that.

And to answer your question, I'm pretty sure that every soldier has the right to turn down a promotion.

But I will agree with c/Commander. That's quite a ways down the line for you. Many things can change between now and the time when you'll be in that position. Right now, you need to concentrate on your duties. Worry about promotions when they come around.

Get promoted. If you're good enough, get promoted. There are far too many people with high ranks and lousy motivation and a distinct lack of brains (that goes for any organization). If you're a good soldier, you're not doing anyone any good by staying as a Private.

I'm not in the military but as a civilian I still have some thoughts I want to share with you

Promotion
Promotions now a days are hard to get, due to the fact that the period they were given out so many dead beats got the position.In the service this can happen also for the fact that so many of the leader's were either drawn away from the idea of the military due to the fact that

A) Nothing was going on in the media that needed their attention

B) Over countless amount of years the feeling of having nothing and becoming nothing made them waste their selves across a table or a string dangling

C) Who knows

Tips to you

Like everyone say's Promotion's aren't where you should be looking at right now.The only thing is protecting your comrade's, partners, family, etc (however you call them, they are the people who will have your back) do your job correctly kick ass were you need to and want to. When that day comes for you to get that promotion you will have the reputation that is need and "wanted" by the other members.

Remember keep a cool head and never give the hell up

Remember I'm not a Soldier but I knwo about having Heart and caring for what matters and that promotion means nothing if you have not put in the work for it

In Germany you may avoid promotion by rejecting dislocation, every promotion goes with a new place to stay (for officers)

My Dad turned down every promotion past E-8 in the National Guard... They're blood stripes, he said. Someone has to either die or retire.

I remember in teh Navy hopeing a ad would either retire or die of old age so I could make E6 back in 87

If you were honest on your profile, then you are a young teen. There is a lot in this world to look at, figure out, and then make a good decision.

My daughter is in the Air Force, and is an E3 now. My point is that if you want to go military, you have many options open to you. Identify your strengths, why you want to join the military, and start looking at your options. If you don't want to be a commissioned officer, then you will work your way through the enlisted ranks. Rumor has it that the officers who begin as enlisted often make excellent officers.

Worrying about turning down a promotion at this stage of the game is kind of like worrying about how to keep someone from stealing that 5 billion dollars you don't have.

Take time to look at options, and make your plans according to YOUR dreams. Be prepared for your plans to change, and always look for the positive in any situation.

Excellent advice AB_Shorts.

The most important thing, IMHO, is that before you should be promoted, you should know the job you are in. You will be responsible for training your subordinates in the job you just left.

Excellent advice AB_Shorts.

The most important thing, IMHO, is that before you should be promoted, you should know the job you are in. You will be responsible for training your subordinates in the job you just left.

Thanks Hokie!

Another thing about promotions... I would hope that a promotion offered would be one that was earned. If it was earned, then the person offered the promotion mostlikely has something to give/teach others. It would be a very good thing.

For example... GI Joe has proven that he is excellent at his job, and also at getting others to do what he needs them to do. Because of these skills, he is offered a promotion. GI Joe now has 5 people reporting to him. This means he can teach 5 others to do that job well. Therefore the military now has 6 people that can do that job well instead of just 1.

I hope this makes sense...

Back