Could a Single Marine Unit Destroy the Roman Empire? - Page 2

--

October 4th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
A modern marine unit would run through them like a hot knife in butter - until they ran out fuel and ammunition.

Then the Romans are back in their familiar form of combat and it's good night Joe.
Isandlwana, 22nd January 1879.
While the British Army was able to pour fire on the Zulus, they were being resoundly beaten.
Once the rifle fire slackened, due mainly to malfunctioning rifles, not a lack of ammo, the Zulus closed in and got into hand to hand combat.
Good night Joe for the Brits and their allies, though Zulu casualties were high, they won the day.
October 6th, 2012  
Yossarian

No military unit will be fully capable without proper logistical support.

This applies to modern troops just like it did to the ancient Romans.

Sending a isolated and logistically cut off force back in time would only start the count down to their inevitable dissolution. The force would not be able to sustain any amount of operations for very long.

The same situation would happen today if deployed without said support against any modern foe. Even for a modern force such as the MEU, logistics strategies are just as important to the operational ones.

And in ancient terms the Romans on more than one ocassion, especially near the end of the Western Empire learned this harsh lesson.
October 6th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Isandlwana, 22nd January 1879.
While the British Army was able to pour fire on the Zulus, they were being resoundly beaten.
Once the rifle fire slackened, due mainly to malfunctioning rifles, not a lack of ammo, the Zulus closed in and got into hand to hand combat.
Good night Joe for the Brits and their allies, though Zulu casualties were high, they won the day.
Partly right Trooper, the Zulu's won mainly because of badly deployed and mismanaged troops along with other factors. I still maintain that if the British had formed a square with an F Group in the middle, I firmly believe the result would have been very different.
--
October 6th, 2012  
LeEnfield

Do you think that the Romans would adapt new tactics to take on a small unit, or do you think that they would be dumb enough to stand there and be slaughtered every time they met
October 6th, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Do you think that the Romans would adapt new tactics to take on a small unit, or do you think that they would be dumb enough to stand there and be slaughtered every time they met
They did have one very very tough time handling the Huns. So my observation is that they would have a very difficult time engaging any enemy who's primary method of engagement was at range.

Whether we would be talking horseback archers or Marine Rifle men.