Could model airplanes become a terrorist weapon? (AP)

--
Boots

September 30th, 2011  
News Manager

Topic: Could model airplanes become a terrorist weapon? (AP)

AP - Model airplanes are suddenly on the public's radar as potential terrorist weapons.

Read more...
September 30th, 2011  
eTe

In my very unprofessional opinion, it's very unlikely.

Remote control aircraft don't tend to have a large range until they lose reception.
Unless it was a decent sized aircraft too, it couldn't carry enough explosive either to do much damage unless someone managed to fly it through a window and detonate it, as the article said.
They are pretty difficult to fly with the amount of control needed too. Especially when you are guiding it from the ground.
September 30th, 2011  
42RM

How large should an attack be before it can be defined as teorist attack.

A radio controlled model aircraft packed with explosives being flown into a group of children in a kindergarten with a greeting from a known terrorist organization!

The only limit is your imagination.
--
Boots
September 30th, 2011  
mmarsh

Something doesn't smell right with this one.

Model aircraft packed with C4? First of all as someone whose brother-in-law is an avid model airplane flyer I can tell you that there isn't very much space inside to pack enough explosives , a detonator, and a receiver. Weight would also be a problem as pre-built model kit aircraft are pretty well balanced, and not designed for extra cargo so if you are adding that type of stuff its going to throw a monkey wrench into its flight characteristics. The only way around it is to build you own from scratch and that takes considerably more time and expertise. Yes it could be done, but its a lot of extra trouble.

Second of all C4 is a military explosive, unless someone gave him some, its not the type of explosive one can easily make or buy off the shelf.

And as someone pointed out the range on such aircraft is very limited, the pilot would have to be close (read: too close) to the target for it to work. There are much easily ways to stage an attack, if this guy was a jihadist I am sure he would know a few better methods.

I might be wrong, but it sounds like someone is trying to scare us again. And a scared public is a compliant public.
September 30th, 2011  
A Can of Man

Yeah seriously. For any determined guy, the sky is the limit.
September 30th, 2011  
42RM

Here we see the difference between a civilian and military person.
We take nothing for granted - all is possible. That's how we survive.
September 30th, 2011  
eTe

For sure it's possible. Plan for the worst, hope the best.

Just very improbable.