Could a M-3 Stuart defeat a Tiger Tank?

--

January 15th, 2009  
Mark Conley

Topic: Could a M-3 Stuart defeat a Tiger Tank?

When I was young, one of my favorite Comic Books G.I. Combat had a story line called "The Haunted Tank". It starred a WW II crew in a M-3 Stuart tank that was watched over by the ghost of civil war general JEB Stuart... and really had some very interesting story lines.

One such story line involved the M-3 Stuart against a...German Tiger Tank. Which it defeated. which is kinda really weird. It wasnt an honest fight by the way. Not nose to nose...but kinda sneaky.

So the question i pose to the forum is...could a M-3 Stuart really defeat a German Tiger Tank?
January 15th, 2009  
MontyB

Only if the M3 got caught in the Tigers tracks as it was run over, it may then disable the Tiger but outside that looking at the penetration capabilities of both vehicles I am going with NO.
January 15th, 2009  
LeEnfield

A Stuart was a very light weight tank, it was made more for fast resonance than for battlefield work
--
January 16th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

A shell from a Stewart might scratch the paint of a Tiger, or possibly annoy the crew, but defeat a Tiger I very much doubt it.
January 16th, 2009  
Mark Conley

gee i liked the tank getting caught in the tread answer....lol. crunch crunch (Vos wegard thaten thingum hans?)

as a standard M-3 only had a 37 mm gun (the M-5 was a little bigger) id say the irritation aspect could come into play as well. was there any such thing as a 37 mm HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) round that could do the nasty on the Tiger?
January 16th, 2009  
03USMC

Totally off topic. But wasn't the Commander of the Haunted Tank supposed to be related to JEB Stuart? Seem to remember he was JEB also. Yeah I read that comic, and Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury.
January 16th, 2009  
SHERMAN

Hmmmm.

Well, if the Stuart had the best gunner in the world and he would shoot a round into the Tiger commanders head, maybe.

But...this stuart could do the job:
January 16th, 2009  
The Other Guy

It would make quite a clang on the side of the tiger when the shell hit.

Other than that, no.
January 16th, 2009  
tomtom22

two words...............................NO WAY
January 17th, 2009  
Mark Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Totally off topic. But wasn't the Commander of the Haunted Tank supposed to be related to JEB Stuart? Seem to remember he was JEB also. Yeah I read that comic, and Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury.
yep..except he was a northerner if i recollect. the rest of the crew was southerners...and at first resent him for having that name.

yeah..i especially liked the unknown soldier...and the DD Stevens features (about the destroyer)