Could a M-3 Stuart defeat a Tiger Tank? - Page 2

--

January 17th, 2009  
SHERMAN

seriously how cool is that Stuart with a 90mm?
January 18th, 2009  
mmarsh

Mark Conley and USMC03

Correct, you are talking about D.C Comic G.I COMBAT, "The Haunted Tank" was one of the mini-stories in it. His name is 2LT. Jeb Stuart and he is regularly visited by his ancestor in CSA Uniform and horseback who gives him combat tactical advice in each story.

As to the question, a 37mm gun could disable a tank if it knocked out the treads. The Soviets used the 13mm BOYS AT-Rifle to do this. A 37mm could also disable or jam the gun if it could hit the barrel or breach. Could the round have penetrated the breach? Maybe. It would have to be one hell of a good shot though even to hit it. Then again, the first Tiger ever captured (North Africa) was because a round from a British Crusader landed right in the narrow space where the hull meets the turret, jamming the turret. A second shell blew out a track, and the crew abandoned it. So lucky hits do happen...

The Tiger like all tanks did have one area that was weak besides the rear. The underneath. If you remember in Band of Brothers, a 101st is able to destroy a Tiger with a Bazooka as it reached the Apex of a large hill (its underbelly is exposed for a few seconds), the rocket hits underneath the tank and penetrates. That scene was a true story, and I suspect a 37mm has better penetration than a 57mm rocket due to the increased velocity.

Other than that...I just don't see how.
January 18th, 2009  
SHERMAN

all tanks have thin bellys.
--
January 18th, 2009  
Mark Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
seriously how cool is that Stuart with a 90mm?
i bet it could run fast if it had to! its way too cool!

thanks sherman. where did you find that picture?
January 18th, 2009  
Balkan-MiG

I doubt it could take a tiger down..

But it usually comes down to the conditions of engagement.

If you got the Tiger in the middle of a large mudpile, a hailstorm and freezing fuel, and you have the Stuart sitting in a bush, damp conditions, perfect view of the Panzers rear..

Different story.
January 18th, 2009  
LeEnfield

The M3 Stuart Tank

http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACT...miya35042.html
January 18th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

There's an old Stuart outside the local MOTH (Members Of Tin Hat which is a vets club) hall, I must remember to take a picture and post. Its in pretty grim condition.
January 21st, 2009  
arminius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Mark Conley and USMC03

Correct, you are talking about D.C Comic G.I COMBAT, "The Haunted Tank" was one of the mini-stories in it. His name is 2LT. Jeb Stuart and he is regularly visited by his ancestor in CSA Uniform and horseback who gives him combat tactical advice in each story.

As to the question, a 37mm gun could disable a tank if it knocked out the treads. The Soviets used the 13mm BOYS AT-Rifle to do this. A 37mm could also disable or jam the gun if it could hit the barrel or breach. Could the round have penetrated the breach? Maybe. It would have to be one hell of a good shot though even to hit it. Then again, the first Tiger ever captured (North Africa) was because a round from a British Crusader landed right in the narrow space where the hull meets the turret, jamming the turret. A second shell blew out a track, and the crew abandoned it. So lucky hits do happen...

The Tiger like all tanks did have one area that was weak besides the rear. The underneath. If you remember in Band of Brothers, a 101st is able to destroy a Tiger with a Bazooka as it reached the Apex of a large hill (its underbelly is exposed for a few seconds), the rocket hits underneath the tank and penetrates. That scene was a true story, and I suspect a 37mm has better penetration than a 57mm rocket due to the increased velocity.

Other than that...I just don't see how.
I loved that comic, along with Enemy Ace and Sgt. Rock. The ghost of J.E.B. Stuart helped out his namesakes by effecting the trajectory of enemy shells off a little and by directing the Stuarts 37mm to be a little more accurate. I remember the writers of the comic talking about that in one issue. The art in them was very good also.
January 21st, 2009  
Ted

I once read an anecdote about British tank crew that stated that the only way they could beat a Tiger was by trying to shoot through the driver's periscope. The shot had to bounce via the underside of the turret.... But this had never been done before. I don't know if it ever happened after, and this story was in August '44.
January 23rd, 2009  
SHERMAN

Quote:
i bet it could run fast if it had to! its way too cool!

thanks sherman. where did you find that picture?
Its a Brazilian upgrade of the M3 made in the 70s or 80s...Called X1A2. Its preetey wild considering what humble origins it has...