Could Japan develop a military presence to rival the best ?

Ash

Could Japan produce weapons to rival the best in the world? do they have the capability to re-energise their military society they way they did before?

If they did, they'd be one of the world's top military powers. Right now they're not one because they just don't aim to be. Right now what they do have is a back bone to which they can add more stuff and become a real major power.

ok

I think any country that at one point had a great deal of power that doesn't now could still one day get a great power back. After all they got it some how before. Even if it takes years/decades.............its a foolish man that thinks nothing.....................

You're right it is entirely up to the Japanese how they spend their cash. I recently heard a factoid that the U.S.A. spends 25 times as much money on military expenditures as the next 4 countries in the world combined. I guess they'd have to do some serious reallocation of their capital huh?

You're right it is entirely up to the Japanese how they spend their cash. I recently heard a factoid that the U.S.A. spends 25 times as much money on military expenditures as the next 4 countries in the world combined. I guess they'd have to do some serious reallocation of their capital huh?

Actually, the USA should do some "serious reallocation of their capital". Who wants to spend 25 times more?

Apparently the U.S.A. wants to now doesn't it? What's the matter Kane? I see you claim the U.S.A. as you "country" but all I ever see from you is anti-American comments. So who are you exactly? Which is your real country? I see you go to school in NYC but where do you hail from?
Besides the actual topic here is Japan not America.

I don't think Kane is anti-American...

anyways, I think the Japanese could easily gain major power military status. But would China let it happen..?

China ... well being a major power or even a super power is one thing, but being powerful enough to stop Japan, that is another. If Japan feels genuinely threatened, it can buy extra aircraft, ships etc. and become VERY strong in even a span as short as two years. They have the money to do it.

Hi,

U.S.A. spends 25 times as much money on military expenditures as the next 4 countries in the world combined

Well Almost Correct ...............here are the Approx figure

United States $466.0 billion
China $65 billion
Russia $50 billion
France $46.5 billion
Japan $$44.7 billion
Germany $38.8 billion
United Kingdom $31.7 billion
Italy $20.2 billion
Saudi Arabia $18.3 billion
Korea, South $16.18 billion
Brazil $13.408 billion
India $12,079.7 million
Iran $9.7 billion

Source

Well there is a huge Difference between the First and secon on that List ....

And to answer the question "Could Japan produce weapons to rival the best in the world?" well they have the money ....................But the thing it's like setting your Priorities................. what you want to be the most................if they start Investing huge amount into Millitary Research .............will they be the Economic Power house that they are .................they are a Economic Super Power?

Peace
-=SF_13=-

They are an economic super power and don't fall short on high tech either. These two mix to create the recipe for a strong base to create a military with.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
I don't think Kane is anti-American...

I do, hence the question to Kane. I am still awaiting the answer. I think it'll help me understand him. Well Kane?

Japan has already proved its not somebody to screw with. I honestly think if Japan had a 10 year notice of war it could defeat China, but thats just my opinion.

U.S.A. spends 25 times as much money on military expenditures as the next 4 countries in the world combined.

Or do you actually mean 2.5 times?

As for Japan to become a big military power, yes very possible.

Everything is possible in "theory", but reality is quite different than "thinking in theory".

FlyingFrog said:
U.S.A. spends 25 times as much money on military expenditures as the next 4 countries in the world combined.

Or do you actually mean 2.5 times?

As for Japan to become a big military power, yes very possible.

Everything is possible in "theory", but reality is quite different than "thinking in theory".

Just about every topic and comment you make is in theory.

Big_Z said:
Japan has already proved its not somebody to screw with. I honestly think if Japan had a 10 year notice of war it could defeat China, but thats just my opinion.

The Japanese would beat the Chinese at sea right now I think. If a clear and present danger emerged from China in Japan's point of view, I think it would take less than 5 years for Japan to muster what's neccessary to defeat the Chinese militarily ... provided nothing goes nuclear.

DTop please check this only:

China $65 billion

USA spends about 7 times more on defence budget than PRC, how come USA spends 25 times more than all the following 5 combined?

You must have mistaken that .0 in 466.0 :D

the_13th_redneck said:
Big_Z said:

The Japanese would beat the Chinese at sea right now I think. If a clear and present danger emerged from China in Japan's point of view, I think it would take less than 5 years for Japan to muster what's neccessary to defeat the Chinese militarily ... provided nothing goes nuclear.

No doubt the Japanese navy would crush China's. They could probably inflict some nasty losses on the American navy.

It is hard to say who will win the navy war.

U gotta to bear in mind when a Navy war breaks out, it is not simply a Ship vs Ship thing, it is with many different factors combined.

A navy ships group may look pretty impressive, but with 1 single tactic nuke the whole battle group is sent to hel.

There is no RULE in war, is there?

FlyingFrog said:
DTop please check this only:

China $65 billion

USA spends about 7 times more on defence budget than PRC, how come USA spends 25 times more than all the following 5 combined?

You must have mistaken that .0 in 466.0 :D

Frog, that was not my math. If you read my post I said it was merely a factoid that I heard on Television. I made no claim to its validity. Even if your numbers are correct (I wouldn't be surprised if they are), what does that have to do with Japan? After all that's the topic here.

Back