Could Japan develop a military presence to rival the best ?

Is it just me or won't Japan have to change their consitution to become a military power? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that currently all they can have by their own costituion is a self defense force.

SwordFish_13 said:
Well there is a huge Difference between the First and secon on that List ....

There's also a huge difference in GDP between those countries. (Source:http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rs.html)

USA:$10.9 trillion
China:$6.449 trillion
Russia:$1.282 trillion
France:$1.661 trillion
Japan:$3.582 trillion
Germany:$2.271 trillion
UK:$1.666 trillion

....In other words, Japan just doesn't have the money to spend on such a military...plus they are forbidden to create more than a token force by their constitution, unless they change it.

03USMC said:
Is it just me or won't Japan have to change their consitution to become a military power? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that currently all they can have by their own costituion is a self defense force.

I don't know if it's in their constitution, but after losing WWII the world has forced Japan (well, being the clear bad guy who did the invasions) to only prepare themselves with military forces strictly for self-defense. Their military are always called the "self-defense unit", too.

Given the opportunity, the Japanese are completely capable of developing and buying superior weapons to threaten anyone in the world.

help

ok as i understand japan were not originally in ww2 til they hit pearl harbour? or were japan on a different idea of what the original ww2 was, so as i understand it japan was a different part of ww2 than germany/uk?

I can rem. parts of japan stories in history at school and the whole atomic bomb thing, but they were a different agenda to germany.

Ok who have i confused?

would it be more like this..............germany Vs England

America Vs japan.

Bugger if i know this part lol you could ask me anything about ww2 and europe and the whole big war but when it comes to japan i am stuck lol

Hi,

There's also a huge difference in GDP between those countries. (Source:http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rs.html)

Yes the GDP is poor for the Japanese and their Economy is growing at the rate of around grew 0.1 percent in the three months to the end of September..........But true picture is they are Still the worlds Strongest Economy and second only to USA.

GDP alone dosen't paint a true picture ....

Lets look at GDP / sales

Rank Country / Corporation GDP / sales ($mil)
1 United States 8,708,870.00
2 Japan 4,395,083.00
3 Germany 2,081,202.00
4 France 1,410,262.00
5 United Kingdom 1,373,612.00
6 Italy 1,149,958.00
7 China 1,149,814.00
8 Brazil 760,345.00
9 Canada 612,049.00
10 Spain 562,245.00
11 Mexico 474,951.00
12 India 459,765.00

Source

Source

Comparative economic indicators, 2003
Japan US Germany China
GDP (US$ bn) 4,305.2 10,984.0 2,374.9 1,471.8
GDP per head (US$) 33,842.3 37,831.0 28,856.7 1,136.3
Consumer price inflation (av; %) -0.3 2.3 1.1 1.2
Current-account balance (US$ bn) 136.2 -540.7 39.8 32.2
Exports of goods fob (US$ bn) 448.0 714.5 696.9 436.1
Imports of goods fob (US$ bn) 342.3 1260.4 585.0 397.4
Foreign trade(a) (% of GDP) 18.4 18.0 54.0 56.6

look at the Chart No body is even Closer to Japan and USA in that the next best Economy is Germany whic is half of Japan

Complete Profile of Japanese Economy Click here

Is it just me or won't Japan have to change their consitution to become a military power?

It's not by choice ............After World War-II sanctions were imposed upon the Axis Countries ........It is part of those sanction that Japan, Italy Can't have a Millitary ....Germany was divided into two, .....well the later two have Broken those sanctions almost.

would it be more like this..............germany Vs England

America Vs japan.

Not exactly ...........all three of them the Axis countries hadplanned it very well ............Italy was to go into Africa and Japan Run over Asia and Germany takes on Europe and whats left :D.........Don't know what got into japanese because perl harbour was something done in haste ..........they should have waited until they have conplete control of the Asia........... but thats just me.......the millitary planners in japan mush have had somethign in mind :)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

I said provided it doesn't go nuclear.
Now imagine China did nuke a Japanese fleet. The whole world would actually unite to beat the Chinese. I think the Chinese in this forum brought up the topic of uniting on several occasions... well this is how it can happen. Chinese nukes the Japanese fleet. The world actually agrees for once that China is not a country that can be allowed to become powerful because it is too trigger happy with its nuclear arsenal.
China is left with no friends.
And... who knows what will happen after that.
If you want to argue, do not bring in the nuke. Because the nuke comes into play in terms of deterrence. If you launch a nuke at the Japanese fleet, that will be the beginning of all your troubles. Also, they might actually shoot down your nuke.
Ship vs Ship, I believe the Japanese would win at this point. Include air assets? Well the Japanese very well could win anyway.

FlyingFrog said:
It is hard to say who will win the navy war.

U gotta to bear in mind when a Navy war breaks out, it is not simply a Ship vs Ship thing, it is with many different factors combined.

A navy ships group may look pretty impressive, but with 1 single tactic nuke the whole battle group is sent to hel.

There is no RULE in war, is there?

Awesome

I love this forum. Half the time I am about to post a thread, someone does it for me. My novel deals heavily with China, Russia, N. Korea and Japan, not to mention the U.S. All this speculation and information is helpful beyond what I can ever express to you.

Now, my thoughts on it, given the extreme amount of technology that Japan has been forced to develope for economic purposes, I think that Japan would not have a hard time coming up with one hell of a military, if it were to choose so. The primary hurdle would be how to fund it. Japan is already a major economic force, as already proven by those before me, it would take some creative financing and plenty of drive, but it could be done. Especially if there was an imminent threat.

Keep it up guys. This stuff is fascinating!

The Japanese could build one of the world's best militaries if it wanted to. It could do it easily. It's got the money, it's got the technology, it's got the people.

In theory it sounds so rosy, in reality it is totally a different story.

Before Japan may have changed its Constituation, 30 years may have passed.

Btw, will USA allow Japan to arm up? You bet.
Of course you can say IF usa allows Japan to arm up, but how many IF's are there in real life?

Mmm, I am anyway not against any fantacy. Keep going.

i have read intensively on japn in the past year, base on my readings, japan if thye channel they money and will to the military the can defintiely compete- who cares about china or russia,- wiith the USA

right now many americans think tank belives that the japanese people are trust worthy and not war mongers of the early opasts of the 1900s, thus, americans hawks dont minds japan beefing its military, but many Americans on the other hands still wants to influnce Japan more so then if jpan had to rely on the US for protection.

japan might not have the nukes and equipment to wage war and be an aggressor, but i can assure you this, if japan was attacked the jaopanese have contigent plans to have nukes ready in like weeks, and give them a year and they can battle with any1 in the world. if japan wasn't so small, i wouldn't be suprise if they owuld have a cold war with the USA by now.

haha, u just need to nuke the tokyo bay area and ur half-way to victory

japan is very vunlerble to attacks, just look at what the us had done.

if japan wants to own in the economy fine, but dont let them beef up their precious army because i dont want to see a masscre of japanese again, tthey shouldve learned their lessons already.

Field Marshal DJ said:
haha, u just need to nuke the tokyo bay area and ur half-way to victory

japan is very vunlerble to attacks, just look at what the us had done.

if japan wants to own in the economy fine, but dont let them beef up their precious army because i dont want to see a masscre of japanese again, tthey shouldve learned their lessons already.

dude you jsut too much entangle by history, just imagine if most people in the world think like you we will never have peace always revenge.

hi,

Don't these Chinese have No-First use policy for using Nuclear Wepons like most of the others ?

India, America and Russia have a No-Fisrt Use policy.... i don't know about rest .

None of the nuclear powers have ever considered using (accept of course form one incident in hiroshima and nagasaki) them though the sparks have been on the higher side in the past..... cold war and all ...................... and i don't think someone will get away after using them against a Non-Nuclear rivel................they will have to face the warth of the world community..

Not to forget it's USA's responsibility to protect Japan form any Aggresser according to the Sanctions imposed upon Japan.?.............and last time i checked they had the biggest Stockpile of those thingies ;)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

japan will rise/...i dont think so..

in the fture. i think those who have more natural resource will rule the wrold...

japan is just a piece of island, noting more..not much potential...

it will one day provoke another war, probably with china, and got nuked a few more times again

sorry, since japan is the only natin in the world been nuked before, i just like to use this word together with "japan"

by the way, i am impressed with japanese Type 90 tanks, a beautiful tank

Japan is actually our ally so we provide them with weapons and technology,As for the constitution thing, they already changed their constitution.One part of their constitution was that "Japanese militant units can't be on the soil of a foreign sovereign nation". They changed it to help the US out by sending forces into Iraq.
On another note,Japan is currently increasing it's military strength because of threats by N.Korea and because of the consistent "accidental enterings" by
Chinese submarines into Japanese waters.As far as "nuking Japan", Japan is a step ahead by,changing the constitution yet again,which formerly disallowed arms exports(not imports) with other countries.They changed that to start exporting arms to the US so the US could build Japan anti-nuclear ballistic missiles.
Japan IS an economic power. It is part of the G8 association.(For those who don't know the G8 are 8 industrialized countries who control most of the world's trade.Those countries currently include: USA,Canada,UK,Germany,Italy,France,Russia,and Japan.)
Also China would most likely not attack Japan.China has it's eyes set on Taiwan,which would be defended by the US and Japan(and Australia and UK because the US).Sooo that's my input. :rambo:

Oh as far as Japan becoming a new military power.It can be because of it's relations with the US.What they lack in pure manpower they can make up in advanced technology.

Back