Could Germany have defeated the US? - Page 11

View Poll Results :Could Germany defeat the US?
No, the US Navy would stop any invasion fleet before they arrived. 20 34.48%
Yes, long drawn out battle. 12 20.69%
Yes, short, quick knock out victory. 6 10.34%
No, the US Army would throw any invasion back into the sea. 6 10.34%
No, the US would eventually win a long drawn out victory. 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

--

November 14th, 2004  
Kirill K

IMO the German U-boats were very strong at that time and controlled most of the Atlantic Ocean, and would probably stop the US boats, and would gradually push froward towards the coasts of US.
November 14th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Lets not forget that Canada would make a nice backdoor enterance into the US, Germay could in all likelyhood invade Canada with little resistance and then move towards the US.
That is exactly what I was thinking for invasion, or maybe go to Mexico and agree to give them back the land taken 100 years ago and then screw them over also. I think that if the US was to fight at home they would lose. Lets say that in 1941 Germany takes over England and never attacks the USSR. Now I know for a fact from the books i have read that stalin was planning to attack Germany during the Blitzkrieg on France, but since France fell so soon, Stalin could have stoped. Then the soviets would probably try to build up their forces. Maybe by 1943 Russia would feel confident Enough to attack germany, but by that time all of the German Empire probably would have massive armies build up under the swastica. Russia strikes and because of the forces and technology germany possesses they would be pushed back. (The germans would have jets, better tanks and even better guns such as the MP44) Russia would fall back and hitler would finish them off by 1945 (probably Nuclear weapons tested on Russian Cities) Then a HUGE massacre of the Russian would follow and Hitler would be ready to invade america. In 1946 Hitler Agrees with Mexico to Invade the USA thru the south-western states. The US would not think much about the war in europe, because Britain Fell and the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. The US would have trouble with Japan, because the British were not there and the battle of Guadalcanal was probably lost, the japanese control most of the East Coastline up to India and all the Islands, including Australia. When The Germans Secretly move their armies into Mexico, they prepare to strike the USA by 1947. When in 1947 the US gets attacked it does not know where to find the resources (Human power) to fight. Old Men, Women,Children fight with what ever they have, but by 1949 only pockets of resistance are left. I believe this could be the Scenario of WW2 if the war did not go the way it did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill K
IMO the German U-boats were very strong at that time and controlled most of the Atlantic Ocean, and would probably stop the US boats, and would gradually push froward towards the coasts of US.
Thats where CAP comes in and bombs the he-l out of the U-boats
November 20th, 2004  
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurry
There was also a bomber at the end of the war wich actualy flew on a mission to New York or at least a few miles from it (without any payload). All I remember is that it was a Focke Wolf.

Anyone has any links on it
It was the FockeWulf Condor, Germany's sole 4 engined plane that saw action during the war as a maritime patrol/recon aircraft. However the flight to NY you are reffering to took place before the start of WW2 (i think 1937/1938)as a Nazi propoganda stunt. It was stripped of all it's interior and extra internal fueltanks where installed so it could make the trip to NY non-stop.
--
November 21st, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Quote:
There was also a bomber at the end of the war wich actualy flew on a mission to New York or at least a few miles from it (without any payload). All I remember is that it was a Focke Wolf.

It was the FockeWulf Condor, Germany's sole 4 engined plane that saw action during the war as a maritime patrol/recon aircraft. However the flight to NY you are reffering to took place before the start of WW2 (i think 1937/1938)as a Nazi propoganda stunt. It was stripped of all it's interior and extra internal fueltanks where installed so it could make the trip to NY non-stop.
I don't think that is what he was talking about. At the end of WWII Nazi Germany had plans to build a Delta Wing (Stealth Bomber) that could fly from Peenemünde, fly east over Asia, the Pacific, and the US, drop a nuke on New York City, and then coast over the Atlantic while gradually dropping in altitude until it could land again at Peenemünde, given their knowledge on Jet Engines it was well within their abilities to build the planes that could carry the bomb, but they were never able to build the bomb so it was pointless for them to build the plane.
November 21st, 2004  
Dutchy

Ah ok didn't know about that flight Is it really a FockeWulf and not a Horten build aircraft. To my best recollection Horten was the only German aeroplane manufacturer that extensively developed, built and tested the flying wing concept?!
November 23rd, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Ah ok didn't know about that flight Is it really a FockeWulf and not a Horten build aircraft. To my best recollection Horten was the only German aeroplane manufacturer that extensively developed, built and tested the flying wing concept?!
It never flew.
November 23rd, 2004  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that is what he was talking about. At the end of WWII Nazi Germany had plans to build a Delta Wing (Stealth Bomber) that could fly from Peenemünde, fly east over Asia, the Pacific, and the US, drop a nuke on New York City, and then coast over the Atlantic while gradually dropping in altitude until it could land again at Peenemünde, given their knowledge on Jet Engines it was well within their abilities to build the planes that could carry the bomb, but they were never able to build the bomb so it was pointless for them to build the plane.
The aircraft that was supposed to have flown within a few miles of New York was the Junkers Ju 390, a six engined development of the 4 engined maritime-reconnaissance Ju 290.

However modern research has cast doubt on whether this flight actually took place.

As for the Delta wing aircraft, apart from the fact it never got beyond the drawing-board stage*, the idea for its useage is a post war fantasy, the Germans had stopped all work on building an atom bomb type weapon by 1943.

* actually that makes it sound more ready than it was. All that it was in truth was a couple of drawings of the idea. They hadn't got around to any more detailed work than that by the time Allied tanks were parked on their front lawn .
November 26th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: war

If the UK fell and germany invaded, lets face it the amopunt of times they tried and we stood tall for so many years when most countries would of fallen.............

Anyway, US would not of been ready or equipted enough to face germany. If Uk fell and US had to stand it would take longer, germany had the intelligence that the US did not have.

Its a 50/50 shot in the dark really that kind of question. US are respected for coming in on the last yr as we needed the help, money wise and that will never be forgotten but back then US did not have the source to stand on their own against germany. Uk were lucky, but guess its pot luck really
November 27th, 2004  
Dele

They could probably stop the Germans if they had gotten the Pacific Fleet in Germany's way
November 27th, 2004  
Young Winston

A straight out land battle between the Germans (at their best) in say 1941/1942 and the US. The Germans would have won!

But to win the War they could not have successfully beaten the US as a sea invasion would have been necessary.