Could Germany have defeated the US?

Could Germany defeat the US?

• Yes, long drawn out battle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, short, quick knock out victory.

• No, the US would eventually win a long drawn out victory.

• Total voters
EagleStrike said:
German navy wasn't all that powerful I think. The United States fleet had a better advantage I think.

Another "If" in this discussion. What if never an "enigma" would have been capured from a german submarine ? I think a very large quantity of german submarines would have survived much longer.

Another question is : If Norwegians would never have detected the "Bismarck" in the baltic sea..........

I think the important question is, what do you mean by defeat?
Is Germany declared a winner in this scenario if it just keeps Europe?
Or at least takes the UK?
Or must invade the US itself?

The problem for the USA is that the combined resources of all of Russia and all of Europe could match the USA in production. Probably surpass actually. German equipment was superior in virtually all categories to US equipment.

The problem is that neither Germany nor the USA would have had decent access to any invasion route. Stalemate would be inevitable until somebody made the Atomic Bomb -- then the end is assured.

the_13th_redneck said:

Let´s get the answer to that question from the person who posted this thread.

T.G.I.

I watched the program about the "New York" plane. Germany did not have an atomic weapon. The plan was to detonate a high explosive and spread a dirty bomb over a large part of New York. This would have been a terror attack but many would have died from exposure to the Uranium. It seems that every time Germany came up with a good idea, Hitler would pull funding so nothing got into production. Germany could not have won because their leader was a madman.

the_13th_redneck said:

The title is "Could Germany have defeated the US." Which means that in order for Germany to defeat them they would have to either invade or dominate so overwhelmingly that America would have been forced to become a puppet to the German Empire, the government being replaced by German appointed officials and all American power would have to been rid of. Basically it is just easier to say that Germany would have to invade the US and defeat our military.

Damien435 said:
Am I the only one here who thinks that the world would be better off if the press would be a little more responsible in their reporting? I have heard WWII vets say that if the media during WWII was the same as the media today we would have lost that war.

UH remember the Iraq reporter who gave the position of the unit on national TV which also was seen by saddam (not that it mattered)

USAFAUX2004 said:
UH remember the Iraq reporter who gave the position of the unit on national TV which also was seen by saddam (not that it mattered)

That would be one of the things I was talking about, and the other day I ran into someone who thought we were losing the war and that Saddam's forces were pushing us back, I asked him where he heard such BS and he said MSNBC.

Damien435 said:
USAFAUX2004 said:

That would be one of the things I was talking about, and the other day I ran into someone who thought we were losing the war and that Saddam's forces were pushing us back, I asked him where he heard such BS and he said MSNBC.

The biggest IRAQI Force I remember hearing about was 7000 or so strong (and they did not fight)

i don't know

this question to be honest has to be answered with thought.................seeing as the US did not really proper enter ww2 til 1941 after Pearl harbour was hit they did not come around to see the battle of britian................

This was hard and long..........pilots not getting any sleep the germans constantly trying to bomb us 24/7...............dog fights then hitler mad the mistake of redirecting his fighter planes to bomb england towns..............this is when teh RAF had time to regroup and plan.........and thats when we were able to push germany out and win the battle of britian.

That kinda thing took alot of planning to be honest USA never reall experienced on their turf what the germans were like and this is more due to fact they were too far away.

But yet america thought that 2 oceans would protect them from attack but the japanese proved them wrong.

England just got by from germany after fighting long n hard..........usa has more man power but to be honest the intel and the power of air n land was tocome from the brits. so to say could US defeat the germans in ww2 would be a very hard consept.

Back