Could Germany have defeated Russia?

I am also unconvinced the Red Army of 1943 would have been able to match an intact German Army of 1943.

Its a pity the western allies didn't stop all aid to the Soviets, engineer a ceasefire to allow the German Army to beat the Soviets, then find a separate peace with Germany. Perhaps then the cold war would never have happened.

Stalin accused Churchill of being afraid to fight before D Day, Stalin sent Hitler a telegram congratulating him on reaching Dunkirk, then began bleating when Germany attacked.

Its a pity the western allies didn't stop all aid to the Soviets, engineer a ceasefire to allow the German Army to beat the Soviets, then find a separate peace with Germany. Perhaps then the cold war would never have happened.

Stalin accused Churchill of being afraid to fight before D Day, Stalin sent Hitler a telegram congratulating him on reaching Dunkirk, then began bleating when Germany attacked.

Technically the Germans could have achieved that had they convinced Russia to attack Poland first as
I don't think the British and French commitment to Poland specified a German invasion.

I recall reading somewhere that Ribbentrop proposed Russia move first but Stalin wasn't keen.

Last edited:
Back