Could Germany have defeated Russia? - Page 9

--

September 30th, 2019  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I view that more as a conspiracy theory to somewhat explain and maybe to justify why the Germans attacked Russia.

I am also unconvinced the Red Army of 1943 would have been able to match an intact German Army of 1943.
October 1st, 2019  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I am also unconvinced the Red Army of 1943 would have been able to match an intact German Army of 1943.
Its a pity the western allies didn't stop all aid to the Soviets, engineer a ceasefire to allow the German Army to beat the Soviets, then find a separate peace with Germany. Perhaps then the cold war would never have happened.

Stalin accused Churchill of being afraid to fight before D Day, Stalin sent Hitler a telegram congratulating him on reaching Dunkirk, then began bleating when Germany attacked.
October 1st, 2019  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Its a pity the western allies didn't stop all aid to the Soviets, engineer a ceasefire to allow the German Army to beat the Soviets, then find a separate peace with Germany. Perhaps then the cold war would never have happened.

Stalin accused Churchill of being afraid to fight before D Day, Stalin sent Hitler a telegram congratulating him on reaching Dunkirk, then began bleating when Germany attacked.
Technically the Germans could have achieved that had they convinced Russia to attack Poland first as
I don't think the British and French commitment to Poland specified a German invasion.

I recall reading somewhere that Ribbentrop proposed Russia move first but Stalin wasn't keen.
--