This could be a Deer Rifle

SFC

Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 win)
Operation: Bolt Action
Feed: 5-Round internal magazine
Weight: 12.1 lb (5.49 kg) empty without telescope
Length: 43in (1092mm)
Sights: 10x42 Leupold Ultra M3A telescope sight (Mil-Dots), plus detachable emergency iron sights. (Redfield Palma International)
Barrel: 24" length, 1 twist in 11.2", 5 lands & grooves.
Stock: HS Precision - adjustable length.
Max Effective Range: 800 meters (875 yards)
Expected Accuracy: 1 MOA with M118 (Ammo is limiting factor)

The M24 Sniper's Weapon System (SWS) represents a return to bolt action sniper rifles by the US Army. As in the USMC M40A1, the M24 uses the Remington 700 action, although the receiver has been made for adaptation to take the .300 Winchester Magnum round. The stock (HS Precision) is made of a composite of Kevlar, graphite and fiberglass bound together with epoxy resins, and features aluminum bedding block and adjustable butt plate. A detachable bipod (Harris) can be attached to the stock's fore-end.

It is a deer rifle, just a very, very expensive one. I have used a .308 700 REM for years, but looks like I a going to grab a 300 WSM Browning.....

BTW: the 10X scope is a little much for deer hunting, I love the leupolds though....

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know, but Kalifornia, under their interpretation this would be either an "Assault Weapon" or "Sniper Rifle" which in fact these specs are for the M24 Sniper's Weapon System (SWS) and for a Deer Rifle. I have the Remington Model 700 ADL Synthetic .308 Winchester with a Burris Black Diamond 3X–12X–50mm, this will reach out and touch a target at 600 yards

SFC

I just got a Rem 700VS and was planning on getting a McMillan stock for it soon. Currently is has a Leupold VXIII 10x40 scope on there but I'm looking for another one with mil-dot sites, just for target ranging practice. I don't hunt, I'm a target shooter, but I'm sure I could tag a deer or something with that.

I don’t know how the People’s Republik of Kalifornia defines “Sniper Rifle” and what their laws on that are, but a M1A with a fixed muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor was CA legal last time I checked. A lot of people who want an auto-loading .308 rifle such as a FAL or AR-10 opt to get a M1A w/ muzzle break because the two aforementioned rifles need a fixed (welded) magazine to be CA legal.

Of course, bolt actions can be accurized to a much better degree if that’s your poison. Bedding the action and free-floating the barrel are much easier to do. You can work out reloads better also. In this regard, fire-forming the brass to fit your chamber and seating the bullet so that it barely touches the rifling when chambered are both productive.

ADDED:

Here is one of my favorite rifles: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/intruder13/Firearms/6mmRem.jpg It's your basic Model 700 Remington chambered in 6mm but the highlight is the Douglas Airguaged Premium lightweight barrel, a honed trigger group, and the little eagle wooden inlay. Working on this rifle was both fun and productive. Oh, and I haven’t killed any deer with it yet (not a big hunter), but I did get a few coyotes. Other than that, I have since added a Burris 6X-24X Ballistic Mil-Dot that I will be using for competition – the 300 yard coke can shoot and 100-600 yard balloon shoot.

Back