Could Capitalism kill Democracy?

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
I've just had this thought that rampant Capitalism may be the one thing that can kill democracy.
Here's how.
Lately we've been seeing the privatization of many things, among them elite soldiers (it's been going on for a while but it's been going to a far different level lately), satellite intelligence, specialized martial arts (the really hard core stuff), etc.
What capability this gives companies is capabilities that surpasses the government. These companies will have the power and capability of controlling the government. Not foreign governments, but our government. It would render the democratic process simply as some kind of theater. Maybe this is why we give a damn so much about politics... keep the guys at the lower end of the spectrum fighting over nothing so they don't see what's really going on. The thing about these companies is that as long as they make profits, they don't have any other checks or balances. It would be in fact, a return to what people like to call a class society.
The fact that the press (who are also companies) tear apart the candidates before they even make President could very well be deliberate. It makes them weak and puts them in the lame duck position faster than the usual process.
Sometimes I think when we're looking at the political leaders as the leaders of the country, we're barking at a decoy. Sometimes I think he's just the messenger and the message is not ours.

Capitalism is a good thing but a totally deregulated free market will eat the little guy and stratify your society. You can't rely on the morals of businessmen, most have proven they don't have any. And you sure as hell can't rely on them to guide your nation down the right path. Between lobbyists and campaign donations it's hard to tell whether our officials owe more to the private interests or us.

This is why, in my personal opinion, a completely free market is a bad idea. The best solution to me is a regulated free market, much like the system we use today.

And even in today's society, the individual has grown too powerful.
The reason why we have a democratic process is because we realize too much power in the hands of one person is a very dangerous thing. The irony is that Capitalism is capable of the same thing, even though without Capitalism, a democracy will cease to be meaningless as it probably depends on a large middle class.

Back