Correcting Errors

muscogeemike

I’m guessing that most of us have encountered times when people speak un-truths and/or myths about history.

Some lasting WWII examples: The US Air Corps in WWII; the Flying Fortress was named due to its defensive firepower; the Flying Tigers were fighting the Japanese before Pearl Harbor; etc.

I have, as I learn the truths, on many occasions corrected people and this is often not well received. I was ask to leave the March AFB Museum once because I corrected a volunteer guide - at a P-59 exhibit - when he told the kids of a school class (one was my son) that the Airacomet was entirely the result of German Technology US forces had captured during the war.

Am I just an A-hole and should keep quiet? Or should I continue to try to “educate the masses”?

I’m guessing that most of us have encountered times when people speak un-truths and/or myths about history.

Some lasting WWII examples: The US Air Corps in WWII; the Flying Fortress was named due to its defensive firepower; the Flying Tigers were fighting the Japanese before Pearl Harbor; etc.

I have, as I learn the truths, on many occasions corrected people and this is often not well received. I was ask to leave the March AFB Museum once because I corrected a volunteer guide - at a P-59 exhibit - when he told the kids of a school class (one was my son) that the Airacomet was entirely the result of German Technology US forces had captured during the war.

Am I just an A-hole and should keep quiet? Or should I continue to try to “educate the masses”?

I would suggest a different approach; you don't need to be silent, but you can begin a discussion. So if we take this P-59 and the guide said it was based on German technology. You can ask the guide; I have heard/read the P-59......and even tell the guide your source.

I agree with I3BrigPvSk. Most people are not even aware that they are telling untruths especially "guides" and don't like to be "corrected" in public. I would tell him in private.

I agree with you gentlemen - I realized after the incident with the guide that I should not have questioned him in public. Tact has never been one of my strengths and bluntness has far too often gotten my in trouble. Thanks for responding.

Back