Correa to Bush: send us your troops or 'shut up'

rock45

* I wish the US (west coast) didn't important about 190 million barrels of oil a day from Ecuador or this Chavez puppy dog wouldn't be opening his mouth. The sad part would be if we got another place to pick up these barrels and prices, China's 'Andean Oil Company" would pick up this oil output in a heartbeat. Ecuador's only produces about 500/600 million barrels per day smallest OPEC member so one could see how important the US sale is to there economy, Chinese money would works the same.
icon9.gif

He has us over a barrel, still makes me mad.
icon8.gif
Correa to Bush: send us your troops or 'shut up'

Fri Mar 14, 5:02 PM ET

Ecuadoran President Rafael Correa told US President George W. Bush on Friday to either send US troops to the border with Colombia or "shut up," in response to criticism that Ecuador harbors Colombian rebels.
"Mr Bush, bring over your soldiers, let your soldiers be the ones who get killed at the southern border with Colombia," Correa said two weeks after Bogota raided a Colombian rebel camp inside Ecuador killing a top rebel leader.
"Lets see if American citizens will accept such a tremendous barbarity. Otherwise, shut up and try to understand what's happening in Latin America," the Ecuadoran leader added.
Correa's challenge followed implied criticism of Ecuador by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, when she said Thursday during a visit to Brazil that "responsible states" should not let their territory be used by "terrorists."
The leaders of Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela -- which backed Quito in its week-long border row that nearly degenerated into military conflict -- defused the crisis shaking hands at a Rio Group summit a week ago in Santo Domingo.
Colombia apologized for the March 1 raid, in which 25 people were killed, but Ecuador has yet to resume diplomatic relations with Bogota.
Colombia alleges that computer files found at the raided rebel camp yielded documents showing close links between Ecuador, Venezuela and the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), which the US and Europe consider a terrorist group.
Bush on Wednesday accused Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez of backing "terrorists" in neighboring Colombia.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Friday said Bush was clutching at straws in his criticism of Venezuela: "The head of the empire is getting desperate."
As to the possibility Venezuela may be included in a US list of states that sponsor terrorism, for its alleged links to the FARC, Chavez was a little more blunt: "Let them make that list and then stuff it in their ... pocket."
Correa also challenged Spain to put its troops in harm's way at the border, after Madrid newspaper El Pais printed allegations the Ecuadoran government was mixed up with FARC rebels.
"I invite Spain, the country of origin of that newspaper El Pais, to come here and deploy its soldiers at the southern border with Colombia.
"You don't know how grateful we would be, how much trouble you'd save us."
Spain also lists the FARC as a terrorist group.
Correa also reiterated his proposal that a multinational force monitor the 600 kilometer (370 miles) Ecuador-Colombia border, which the Washington-based Organization of American States has ruled out due to the rugged terrain.

link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080314/wl_afp/ecuadorusspaincolombiadiplomacy

Good god, these leaders are like children, their nations spent two hundred years kicking out foreign troops, they're finally free of foreign presence and then they turn around and say "So maybe we can't manage our own affairs after all." Correa can't play victim here, he's been trying to rake the US over the coals for too long and getting all buddy-buddy with Venezuela, China and FARC. If Correa wants to get rid of FARC he can call Colombia and they can work something out.

Ecuador

I just can't believe he says to the President of the United States "shut up" I'm shock. And nothing back from the President Bush or his staff?
icon5.gif

I think your quote of 500-600 million bbl/day is grossly over exagerated. The CIA world factbook states 375,000 bbl/d less than 1/200th of the figure you quoted.

Never the less, Correa's demands are a bit "steep". Maybe those in the Whitehouse are still rolling around the floor laughing?

Last edited:
Also, what Correa doesn't realize is that we've learned a thing or two since Vietnam, these camps aren't hidden as well as people think, just use a satellite to look for secondary growth (trees that are off in color) and there's a good chance someone is living there.

But as I said before, Correa has been trying to kick the US out for some time, it's a bit hypocritical to step backwards now.

Back