cool quotes.

mrcool011

alot of these arent military quotes but cool one.

and i got lots of them, a few might repeat, sorry about that.

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
George S. Patton

A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end.
George S. Patton

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood.
George S. Patton

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton

All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated.
George S. Patton

Always do everything you ask of those you command.
George S. Patton

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.
George S. Patton

Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war.
George S. Patton

Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
George S. Patton

Better to fight for something than live for nothing.
George S. Patton

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
George S. Patton

Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
George S. Patton

Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.
George S. Patton

I do not fear failure. I only fear the "slowing up" of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, "Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?"
George S. Patton

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.
George S. Patton

If a man does his best, what else is there?
George S. Patton

If a man has done his best, what else is there?
George S. Patton

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

If we take the generally accepted definition of bravery as a quality which knows no fear, I have never seen a brave man. All men are frightened. The more intelligent they are, the more they are frightened.
George S. Patton

If you tell people where to go, but not how to get there, you'll be amazed at the results.
George S. Patton

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
George S. Patton

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
George S. Patton

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton

Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.
George S. Patton

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton

The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That's the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead!
George S. Patton

There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear.
George S. Patton

There is only one sort of discipline, perfect discipline.
George S. Patton

Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets.
George S. Patton

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
George S. Patton

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.
George S. Patton

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.
George S. Patton

You need to overcome the tug of people against you as you reach for high goals.
George S. Patton

the safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.
Voltaire

A witty saying proves nothing.
Voltaire
- More quotations on: [Quotations]

All sects are different, because they come from men; morality is everywhere the same, because it comes from God.
Voltaire

Anything too stupid to be said is sung.
Voltaire

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
Voltaire

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
Voltaire
- More quotations on: [Doubt] [Uncertainty]

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one.
Voltaire
- More quotations on: [Doubt]

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do.
Voltaire

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
Voltaire
- More quotations on: [God]

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
Voltaire
- More quotations on: [Enemies] [Prayer]
A company of tyrants is inaccessible to all seductions.
Voltaire

A witty saying proves nothing.
Voltaire

All men are born with a nose and ten fingers, but no one was born with a knowledge of God.
Voltaire

All styles are good except the tiresome kind.
Voltaire

All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women.
Voltaire

An ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination.
Voltaire

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung.
Voltaire

Anything too stupid to be said is sung.
Voltaire

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
Voltaire

As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities.
Voltaire

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law.
Voltaire

Better is the enemy of good.
Voltaire

Business is the salt of life.
Voltaire

But nothing is more estimable than a physician who, having studied nature from his youth, knows the properties of the human body, the diseases which assail it, the remedies which will benefit it, exercises his art with caution, and pays equal attention to the rich and the poor.
Voltaire

By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property.
Voltaire

Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause.
Voltaire

Clever tyrants are never punished.
Voltaire

Common sense is not so common.
Voltaire

Divorce is probably of nearly the same date as marriage. I believe, however, that marriage is some weeks the more ancient.
Voltaire

Do well and you will have no need for ancestors.
Voltaire

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
Voltaire

Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.
Voltaire

Every one goes astray, but the least imprudent are they who repent the soonest.
Voltaire

Everything is for the best in this best of possible worlds.
Voltaire

Everything's fine today, that is our illusion.
Voltaire

Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.
Voltaire

Fear follows crime and is its punishment.
Voltaire

For take thy balance if thou be so wise And weigh the wind that under heaven doth blow; Or weigh the light that in the east doth rise; Or weigh the thought that from man's mind doth flow.
Voltaire

Friendship is the marriage of the soul, and this marriage is liable to divorce.
Voltaire

Froth at the top, dregs at bottom, but the middle excellent.
Voltaire

God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.
Voltaire

God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
Voltaire

He is a hard man who is only just, and a sad one who is only wise.
Voltaire

He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked.
Voltaire

He shines in the second rank, who is eclipsed in the first.
Voltaire

He was a great patriot, a humanitarian, a loyal friend; provided, of course, he really is dead.
Voltaire

He who has not the spirit of this age, has all the misery of it.
Voltaire

He who is not just is severe, he who is not wise is sad.
Voltaire

He who thinks himself wise, O heavens! is a great fool.
Voltaire

History is only the register of crimes and misfortunes.
Voltaire

How inexpressible is the meanness of being a hypocrite! how horrible is it to be a mischievous and malignant hypocrite.
Voltaire

How pleasant it is for a father to sit at his child's board. It is like an aged man reclining under the shadow of an oak which he has planted.
Voltaire

I advice you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying you annuities.
Voltaire

I am very fond of truth, but not at all of martyrdom.
Voltaire

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

I hate women because they always know where things are.
Voltaire

I have always made one prayer to God, a very short one. Here it is: "My God, make our enemies very ridiculous!" God has granted it to me.
Voltaire

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
Voltaire

I know many books which have bored their readers, but I know of none which has done real evil.
Voltaire

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it.
Voltaire

I may not believe in what you say, but I will die for your right to do so.
Voltaire

I Thy God am the Light and the Mind which were before substance was divided from Spirit and darkness from Light.
Voltaire

Ice-cream is exquisite - what a pity it isn't illegal.
Voltaire

If God created us in his own image, we have more than reciprocated.
Voltaire

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him.
Voltaire

If the bookseller happens to desire a privilege for his merchandise, whether he is selling Rabelais or the Fathers of the Church, the magistrate grants the privilege without answering for the contents of the book.
Voltaire

If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.
Voltaire

If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.
Voltaire

Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
Voltaire

In every author let us distinguish the man from his works.
Voltaire

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to another.
Voltaire

In the country of Westphalia, in the castle of the most noble Baron of Thunder-ten-tronckh, lived a youth whom nature had endowed with a most sweet disposition.
Voltaire

In this country it is found necessary now and then to put an admiral to death in order to encourage the others.
Voltaire

In this country we find it pays to shoot an admiral from time to time to encourage the others
Voltaire

Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.
Voltaire

Injustice in the end produces independence.
Voltaire

Is there anyone so wise as to learn by the experience of others?
Voltaire

It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge.
Voltaire

It is better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one.
Voltaire

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
Voltaire

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
Voltaire

It is new fancy rathert than taste which produces so many new fashions.
Voltaire

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.
Voltaire

It is not sufficient to see and to know the beauty of a work. We must feel and be affected by it.
Voltaire

It is one of the superstitions of the human mind to have imagined that virginity could be a virtue.
Voltaire

It is said that the present is pregnant with the future.
Voltaire

It is the flash which appears, the thunderbolt will follow.
Voltaire

It is today, my dear, that I take a perilous leap.
Voltaire

It is vain for the coward to flee; death follows close behind; it is only by defying it that the brave escape.
Voltaire

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
Voltaire

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
Voltaire

Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
Voltaire

Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.
Voltaire

Love has features which pierce all hearts, he wears a bandage which conceals the faults of those beloved. He has wings, he comes quickly and flies away the same.
Voltaire

Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.
Voltaire

Man is free at the moment he wishes to be.
Voltaire

Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.
Voltaire

Men use thought only as authority for their injustice, and employ speech only to conceal their thoughts.
Voltaire

Men use thought only to justify their wrong doings, and employ speech only to conceal their thoughts.
Voltaire

My life is a struggle.
Voltaire

Nature has always had more force than education.
Voltaire

Neither holy, nor Roman, nor Empire.
Voltaire

Never argue at the dinner table, for the one who is not hungry always gets the best of the argument.
Voltaire

No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.
Voltaire

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Voltaire

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense.
Voltaire

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
Voltaire

Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies.
Voltaire

One great use of words is to hide our thoughts.
Voltaire

One merit of poetry few persons will deny: it says more and in fewer words than prose.
Voltaire

Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
Voltaire

Originality is nothing by judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.
Voltaire

Our country is that spot to which our heart is bound.
Voltaire

Paradise was made for tender hearts; hell, for loveless hearts.
Voltaire

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time.
Voltaire

Prejudice, friend, govern the vulgar crowd.
Voltaire

Satire lies about literary men while they live and eulogy lies about them when they die.
Voltaire

Slavery is also as ancient as war, and was as human nature.
Voltaire

Society therefore is an ancient as the world.
Voltaire

Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare.
Voltaire

Tears are the silent language of grief.
Voltaire

'That is indisputable,' was the answer, 'but in this country it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others.'
Voltaire

The ancient Romans built their greatest masterpieces of architecture, their amphitheaters, for wild beasts to fight in.
Voltaire

The ancients recommended us to sacrifice to the Graces, but Milton sacrificed to the Devil.
Voltaire

The art of government is to make two-thirds of a nation pay all it possibly can pay for the benefit of the other third.
Voltaire

The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
Voltaire

The best is the enemy of the good.
Voltaire

The best way to be boring is to leave nothing out.
Voltaire

The ear is the avenue to the heart.
Voltaire

The first step, my son, which one makes in the world, is the one on which depends the rest of our days.
Voltaire

The flowery style is not unsuitable to public speeches or addresses, which amount only to compliment. The lighter beauties are in their place when there is nothing more solid to say; but the flowery style ought to be banished from a pleading, a sermon, or a didactic work.
Voltaire

The Holy Roman Empire is neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire.
Voltaire

The ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination.
Voltaire

The infinitely little have a pride infinitely great
Voltaire

The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all.
Voltaire

The little may contrast with the great, in painting, but cannot be said to be contrary to it. Oppositions of colors contrast; but there are also colors contrary to each other, that is, which produce an ill effect because they shock the eye when brought very near it.
Voltaire

The mouth obeys poorly when the heart murmurs.
Voltaire

The multitude of books is making us ignorant.
Voltaire

The opportunity for doing mischief is found a hundred times a day, and of doing good once in a year.
Voltaire

The progress of rivers to the ocean is not so rapid as that of man to error.
Voltaire

The public is a ferocious beast; one must either chain it or flee from it.
Voltaire

The safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.
Voltaire

The secret of being a bore is to tell everything.
Voltaire

The secret of being tiresome is in telling everything.
Voltaire

The sovereign is called a tyrant who knows no laws but his caprice.
Voltaire

The superfluous, a very necessary thing.
Voltaire

The very impossibility in which I find myself to prove that God is not, discovers to me his existence.
Voltaire

The world embarrasses me, and I cannot dream that this watch exists and has no watchmaker.
Voltaire

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.
Voltaire

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.
Voltaire

This self-love is the instrument of our preservation; it resembles the provision for the perpetuity of mankind: it is necessary, it is dear to us, it gives us pleasure, and we must conceal it.
Voltaire

Thou sleepest, Brutus, and yet Rome is in chains.
Voltaire

Though one sits in meditation in a particular place, the Self in him can exercise its influence far away. Though still, it moves everywhere... The Self cannot be known by anyone who desists not from unrighteous ways, controls not his senses, stills not his mind, and practices not meditation.
Voltaire

To be at peace in crime! ah, who can thus flatter himself.
Voltaire

To believe in God is impossible not to believe in Him is absurd.
Voltaire

To hold a pen is to be at war.
Voltaire

To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
Voltaire

To them it seemed that the gifts of an enemy were to be dreaded.
Voltaire

Tyrants have always some slight shade of virtue; they support the laws before destroying them.
Voltaire

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Very learned women are to be found, in the same manner as female warriors; but they are seldom or ever inventors.
Voltaire

Very often, say what you will, a knave is only a fool.
Voltaire

We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies - it is the first law of nature.
Voltaire

We are rarely proud when we are alone.
Voltaire

We cannot always oblige; but we can always speak obligingly.
Voltaire

We cannot wish for that we know not.
Voltaire

We have a natural right to make use of our pens as of our tongue, at our peril, risk and hazard.
Voltaire

We must distinguish between speaking to deceive and being silent to be reserved.
Voltaire

Weakness on both sides is, as we know, the motto of all quarrels.
Voltaire

What a heavy burden is a name that has become too famous.
Voltaire

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly - that is the first law of nature.
Voltaire

What most persons consider as virtue, after the age of 40 is simply a loss of energy.
Voltaire

What then do you call your soul? What idea have you of it? You cannot of yourselves, without revelation, admit the existence within you of anything but a power unknown to you of feeling and thinking.
Voltaire

When he to whom one speaks does not understand, and he who speaks himself does not understand, that is metaphysics.
Voltaire

When it is a question of money, everybody is of the same religion.
Voltaire

Whoever serves his country well has no need of ancestors.
Voltaire

You see many stars at night in the sky but find them not when the sun rises; can you say that there are no stars in the heaven of day? So, O man! because you behold not God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Voltaire

Your destiny is that of a man, and your vows those of a god.
Voltaire

Your Majesty may think me an impatient sick man, and that the Turks are even sicker.
Voltaire

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read
books of quotations"
- Winston Churchill: My Early Life (1930) ch. 9.

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been
owed by so many to so few."
- Winston Churchill

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (about the Royal
Air Force)
(both quotations are correct, but said at different
occasions)

"In Critical and baffling situations, it is always
best to return to first principle and simple action"
- Sir Winston S. Churchill

“it so often happens that, when men are convinced that
they have to die, a desire to bear themselves well and
to leave life’s stage with dignity conquers all other
sensations.”

"I have never accepted what many people have kindly
said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the
nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had
the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to
give the roar"
- Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with
allies – And that is to fight without them"

"The power of an air force is terrific when there is
nothing to oppose it."
- Winston Churchill

"Democracy is the best form of the worst type of
government"
- Winston Churchill

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth
has a chance to get
its pants on. "
- Winston Churchill

"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human
qualities, because it is the quality that guarantees
all others"

"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and
fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952. (The Observer)

No matter how enmeshed a commander becomes in the
elaboration of his own thoughts, it is sometimes
necessary to take the enemy into account.
- Winston Churchill

"The Americans will always do the right thing... After
they've exhausted all the alternatives."
- Winston Churchill

"Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valor, and be in
readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to
perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our
nation and our altar."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and
sweat."
- Sir Winston Churchill
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing
great or small, large or petty, never give in except
to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield
to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming
might of the enemy.
-Winston Churchill
"We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be;
we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields,
in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender
and even if, which I do not for the moment believe,
this island or a large part of it were subjugated and
starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and
guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the
struggle until in God's good time the New World with
all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation
and rescue of the Old."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of
France)

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it
will eat him last."
"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word.
It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite
of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the
road may be, for without victory there is no
survival."
"To have the United States at our side was to me the
greatest joy. Now at this very moment I knew the
United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to
the death. So we had won after all!...Hitler's fate
was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the
Japanese, they would be ground to powder."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the Japanese
attack on Pearl Harbor)

"You were given the choice between war and dishonor.
You chose dishonor and you will have war."
Churchill's remark after Chamberlain returned from
signing the Munich pact with Hitler

and

"Britain and France had to choose between war and
dishonor. They chose dishonor."
"Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that
the task which has been set before us is not above our
strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our
endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause
and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be
denied us."
- Winston Churchill
"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end.
We shall fight in France. We shall fight on the seas
and oceans. We shall fight with growing strength in
the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost
may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight
on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields
and in the streets. We shall fight in the hills. We
shall never surrender."
- Winston Churchill
"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The
greater the general, the more he contributes in
maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill
Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it
be postponed.
- Winston Churchill

It's no use saying, ''We are doing our best.'' You
have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.
- Winston Churchill
My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be
able to persuade my wife to marry me.
- Winston Churchill
I never worry about action, but only inaction.
- Winston Churchill We are happier in many ways when
we are old than when we were young. The young sow wild
oats. The old grow sage.
- Winston Churchill
No two on earth in all things can agree. All have some
daring singularity.
- Winston Churchill

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has
taken out of me.
- Winston Churchill

I have been brought up and trained to have the utmost
contempt for people who get drunk.
- Winston Churchill

Always remember, a cat looks down on man, a dog looks
up to man, but a pig will look man right in the eye
and see his equal.
- Winston Churchill

We have a lot of anxieties, and one cancels out
another very often.
- Winston Churchill

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a
shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.
- Winston Churchill

Some people regard private enterprise as a predatory
tiger to be shot. Others look on it as a cow they can
milk. Not enough people see it as a healthy horse,
pulling a sturdy wagon.
- Winston Churchill

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change
often.
- Winston Churchill

Too often the strong, silent man is silent only
because he does not know what to say, and is reputed
strong only because he has remained silent.
- Winston Churchill

It is more agreeable to have the power to give than to
receive.
- Winston Churchill

I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I
rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry
for the poor browns.
- Winston Churchill

Socialism is like a dream. Sooner or later you wake up
to reality.
- Winston Churchill

Socialists think profits are a vice; I consider losses
the real vice.
- Winston Churchill

There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that
is to try to be right.
- Winston Churchill

Courage is going from failure to failure without
losing enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time
to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill

Nothing is so exhilarating in life as to be shot at
with no result.
- Winston Churchill

I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is
prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another
matter.
- Winston Churchill

No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant
idealism.
- Winston Churchill

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles
with it.
- Winston Churchill

I was not the lion, but it fell to me to give the
lion's roar.
- Winston Churchill

"There is nothing so pleasing as to be shot at by
one’s enemy without result."
- Winston Churchill

"Give us the tools, and we will finish the job"
- Churchill, in a broadcast addressed to Roosevelt in

"It has not fallen to your lot to command great
armies. You had to create them, organize them and
inspire them."
- Churchill to General George Marshall 1945

"We have a very daring and skillful opponent against
us, and, may I say across the havoc of war, a great
general."
- Churchill about Rommel

You may have to fight when there is no hope of
victory, because it is better to perish than live as
slaves.
-Winston Churchill

In War: Resolution In Defeat: Defiance In Victory:
Magnanimity In Peace: Good Will
-Winston Churchill quotes

If, however, there is to be a war of nerves let us
make sure our nerves are strong and are fortified by
the deepest convictions of our hearts.

Little did we guess that what has been called the
century of the common man would witness as its
outstanding feature more common men killing each other
with greater facilities than any other five centuries
together in the history of the world.

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read
books of quotations. Bartlett's Familiar Quotations is
an admirable work, and I studied it intently. The
quotations when engraved upon the memory give you good
thoughts. They also make you anxious to read the
authors and look for more."
Roving Commission: My Early Life (1930) Chapter 9
"So they [the Government] go on in strange paradox,
decided only to be undecided, resolved to be
irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity,
all-powerful to be impotent."
Speech in the House of Commons (November 12, 1936)
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is
a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but
perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national
interest."
Radio speech (Octopber 1, 1939)
"I would say to the House, as I said to those who have
joined this Government: I have nothing to offer but
blood, toil, tears, and sweat. We have before us an
ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us
many, many long months of struggle and suffering. You
ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war,
by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all
the strength that God can give us: to wage war against
a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark,
lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our
policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one
word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in
spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard
the road may be; for without victory, there is no
survival."
Speech in the House of Commons upon taking office as
prime minister (May 13, 1940) This has often been
misquoted with the statement: "I have nothing to offer
but blood, sweat and tears."
"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight
with growing confidence and growing strength in the
air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may
be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on
the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and
in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall
never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a
moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were
subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the
seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would
carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the
New World, with all its power and might, steps forth
to the rescue and the liberation of the old."
Speech to the House of Commons (June 4, 1940)
"Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian
civilization. upon it depends our own British life and
the long continuity of our institutions and our
Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must
very soon be turned on us now. Hitler knows that he
will have to break us in this island or lose the war.
If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and
the life of the world may move forward into broad,
sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world,
including the United States, including all that we
have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of
a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more
protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us
therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear
ourselves that, if the British Empire and its
Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say,
This was their finest hour.
Speech in the House of Commons (June 18, 1940)
"We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it."
Speech in the House of Commons (July 14, 1940)
"Never in the field of human conflict has so much been
owed by so many, to so few".
Speech in the House of Commons (August 20, 1940)
complimenting the Royal Air Force during the Battle of
Britain.
"Here is the answer which I will give to President
Roosevelt: We shall not fail or falter; we shall not
weaken or tire... Neither the sudden shock of battle
nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion
will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will
finish the job."
BBC radio broadcast (Feb 9, 1941)
"The British nation is unique in this respect. They
are the only people who like to be told how bad things
are, who like to be told the worst."
Speech in the House of Commons (June 10, 1941)
"Never give in— never, never, never, never, in nothing
great or small, large or petty, never give in except
to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield
to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming
might of the enemy."
Speech at Harrow School (October 29, 1941)
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning
of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the
beginning."
Speech after the British defeat of the German Afrika
Korps in Egypt (November 10, 1942)
"The empires of the future are the empires of the
mind."
Speech at Harvard University (September 6, 1943)
"The power of the executive to cast a man in prison
without formulating any charge known to the law and
particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers is
in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of
all totalitarian government, whether Nazi or
Communist."
Telegram by Churchill from Cairo, Egypt to Home
Secratary Herbert Morrison (November 21, 1943)
"The object of presenting medals, stars, and ribbons
is to give pride and pleasure to those who have
deserved them."
Speech in the House of Commons (March 22, 1944)
"A love of tradition has never weakened a nation,
indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of
peril; but the new view must come, the world must roll
forward."
Speech in the House of Commons (November 29, 1944)
"From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic
an iron curtain has descended across the Continent."
Speech
(http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=429)
at Fulton, Missouri (March 5, 1946)
"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be
tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends
that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has
been said that democracy is the worst form of
government except all those other forms that have been
tried from time to time."
Speech in the House of Commons (November 11, 1947)
"One day President Roosevelt told me that he was
asking publicly for suggestions about what the war
should be called. I said at once 'The Unnecessary
War'."
The Second World War Volume I : The Gathering Storm
(1948)
"Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a
shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse."
Speech to Royal Academy of Art (1953); quoted in Time
(May 11, 1954)
"For myself, I am an optimist— it does not seem to be
much use being anything else."
Speech at the Lord Mayor's banquet, London (November
9, 1954)
"The day may dawn when fair play, love for one's
fellow men, respect for justice and freedom, will
enable tormented generations to march forth triumphant
from the hideous epoch in which we have to dwell.
Meanwhile, never flinch, never weary, never despair."
The ending of Churchill's last major speech to the
House of Commons (March 1, 1955)
"I am reminded of the professor who, in his declining
hours, was asked by his devoted pupils for his final
counsel. He replied, 'Verify your
quotations.'"�
Quoted in Rudolf Flesch, ed., The New Book of Unusual
Quotations (NY: Harper & Row, 1966), p. 311�
[edit]
Attributed:
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't
change the subject."
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth
has a chance to get its pants on."
"A modest man, who has much to be modest about"
Referring to: Clement Atlee
"A sheep in sheep's clothing"
Referring to: Clement Atlee
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it
be postponed."
America should have minded her own business and stayed
out of the World War. If you hadn't entered the war
the Allies would have made peace with Germany in the
Spring of 1917. Had we made peace then there would
have been no collapse in Russia followed by Communism,
no breakdown in Italy followed by Fascism, and Germany
would not have signed the Versailles Treaty, which has
enthroned Nazism in Germany. If America had stayed out
of the war, all these isms wouldn't today be sweeping
the continent of Europe and breaking down
parliamentary government— and if England had made
peace early in 1917, it would have saved over one
million British, French, American, and other lives.
[purportedly, interview in New York Enquirer 1936]
And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning I shall
be sober.
to a lady who accused him of being drunk
"Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and
the old words best of all."
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing
but rum, sodomy and the lash." (According to the
Falsely Attributed Quotations
(http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=112)
page at the Churchill Centre
(http://www.winstonchurchill.org), Churchill denied
having said this, but expressed the wish that he had.)

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be
fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an
ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path.
You know you will never get to the end of the journey.
But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the
joy and glory of the climb."
"This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not
put."
(Purportedly upon being accused of ending his
sentances with prepositions. Had he said "This is the
sort of pedantry I will not put up with.", he would
have committed the same offense he was accused of.)
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the
vices I admire."
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is
prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another
matter."� (on the eve of his 75th
birthday�)
"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against
uncivilised tribes. The moral effect should be so good
that the loss of life should be reduced to a minimum.
It is not necessary to use only the most deadly
gasses: gasses can be used which cause great
inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet
would leave no serious permanent effects on most of
those affected."
"I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I
rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry
for the poor browns."
"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use
of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas
against uncivilized tribes. The moral effects should
be good, and it would spread a lively terror."
"I gather, young man, that you wish to be a Member of
Parliament. The first lesson that you must learn is,
when I call for statistics about the rate of infant
mortality, what I want is proof that fewer babies died
when I was Prime Minister than when anyone else was
Prime Minister. That is a political statistic."
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged
by the animosities he excites among his opponents."
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on
us. Pigs treat us as equals."
(But WC's black cat, Nelson, is reputed to have had a
chair at Cabinet.)
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The
chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a
time."
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of
them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing
ever happened."
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ
grinder is in the room."
"Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth
and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange
voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must
realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer
the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable
and uncontrollable events."
"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened
danger and try to run away from it. If you do that,
you will double the danger. But if you meet it
promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the
danger by half."
"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do
not always like being taught."
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to
another with no loss of enthusiasm."
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute
talk with the average voter."
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal
sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism
is the equal sharing of misery."
"The price of greatness is responsibility."
"The reserve of modern assertions is sometimes pushed
to extremes, in which the fear of being contradicted
leads the writer to strip himself of almost all sense
and meaning."
"The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable,
we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned
to like it."
"There are a terrible lot of lies going around the
world, and the worst of it is half of them are true."
"To improve is to change. To be perfect is to change
often."
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by
what we give."
"When all was over, torture and cannibalism were the
only two expedients that the civilized, scientific,
Christian States had been able to deny themselves: and
these were of doubtful utility." (Observations on
World War I)
"When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to
criticize or attack the government of my own country.
I make up for lost time when I come home."
"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to
jabber."
"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be
polite."
Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd
poison your tea.
Winston Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd
drink it.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up
for something, sometime in your life."

SWEET MARY MOTHER OF GOD! I was like whoa 3 posts... then looked and thought my scroll bar was f'ed up. ROFL, kick ass quotes man.

More quotes

"Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out." (Attributed to "Chargin' Charlie" Beckwith, founder, Delta Force)

"Throw his drunk ass in the pool. If he drowns, he was right, he's too drunk to swim. Drink he may, but swim he must." Roy H. Boehm, Founder, U.S. Navy SEAL's.

"Don't EVER let me see you do that again in front of the men." L.B."Chesty" Puller, General, U.S.M.C., after a subordinate officer dived to his belly after a near hit by an artillery round whilst in chow line.

Back