Controversy Rages as TV Show Lists U.S. War Dead

Hey, Ironside, guess what? You just alienated a potential ally, because I'm not exactly right wing. Check yourself. Anyway, I've found mention of this quote all over the net, but no official statements by anybody.
I've tracked it down to one "Jimmy Breslin" on Newsday.com, but they want me to subscribe before I can read his article, and I'll be damned if I'll do that. Anybody a subscriber? Ironside?
I have two theories:
1. She didn't say it, and isn't denying it because she doesn't want to fan the publicity (or something :roll: )
2. She said it, and CAN'T deny it, cause she said it.
I think option 1 is pretty unlikely, soooooooo......

Oh she said, alright.

I just recently learned of the quote myself and was just as in awe as you all here are. I have always liked and respected Barbara Bush.

She said it when asked why they don't watch TV, I have just learned. It was said during an interview only days before the invasion of Iraq. I seriously believe George Bush had at that point already decided he didn;t want such scenes of our troops being seen by the American people.

I am willing to subscribe just for the quote, but I won't pay for it. The only thing I could find directly related to the quote wants to charge for it and many other quotes. No thanks.

I believe she said it. No doubt in mind what's so ever.

Until a credible source is posted on that particular quote, this discussion is no longer allowed.

Keep the topic focused on the program ABC aired, or it will be locked.

Here is The Actual Quote (in context)

DIANE SAWYER, ABC NEWS: (OC) You said that, that Mrs. Bush at one point had said to the two of you, don't watch too much TV. You may be watching too much TV.
FORMER FIRST LADY BARBARA BUSH, UNITED STATES: No question.

DIANE SAWYER, ABC NEWS: (OC) You do watch?

FORMER FIRST LADY BARBARA BUSH, UNITED STATES: I watch none. He sits and listens and I read books, because I know perfectly well that, don't take offense, that 90 percent of what I hear on television is supposition, when we're talking about the news. And he's not, not as understanding of my pettiness about that. But why should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and how many, what day it's gonna happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it's, it's not relevant. So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that. And watch him suffer.

rl> As anyone can plainly see... she is saying that the "suppositions" aren't relevant.

Thank you, but for either side of this issue we need a legitimate, mainstream/official source if there is going to be a discussion on a matter like this.

Back