Controversial Win for Vickers

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.racingone.com/print.asp?artnum=31519

Complete Results

TALLADEGA, Ala. - Brian Vickers was told he could no longer attend meetings at Hendrick Motorsports last week. He may have a hard time getting through the front door after Sunday's UAW-Ford 500 at Talladega Superspeedway.

Vickers spun out teammate Jimmie Johnson and race leader Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the final lap and went on to win his first career Cup race as the crowd erupted with boos.

As Earnhardt Jr. and Johnson sat in the backstretch infield dirt, Vickers was celebrating a bittersweet win in Victory Lane.

"Yes it has mixed emotions, but it's great to get that first win," Vickers said. "What's done is done and we just need to enjoy this victory. This win means a lot to me. This is Ricky (Hendrick) and Papa Joe’s (Hendrick) car."

Running into his current Hendrick teammate Johnson wasn't in Vickers' plans.

"When he jerked down to avoid the 8, I just got into the back of him," said Vickers. "That's the last thing I wanted to do. But when the 8 chopped him and Jimmie swerved, I got him."

Johnson, who was trying to climb back up in the point standings, was disappointed by the turn of events.

"I got a run on the No. 8 and got inside of him, got hit from behind and it turned me in to him (Dale Earnhardt, Jr.), and off we went," Johnson said. "I need to see the video, I can't believe it, here we went all day long and had a great chance to make up some points and got crashed by a teammate."

When the smoke cleared, the results showed Kasey Kahne credited with second followed by Kurt Busch, Matt Kenseth and Martin Truex Jr.

Kevin Harvick, Jeff Green, Mark Martin, Carl Edwards and Bobby Labonte completed the first ten finishers.

Even though Earnhardt fell to 23rd in the final rundown, he was able to advance one position to sixth in the championship standings surpassing Jeff Gordon.

"He didn't wreck anybody on purpose," Earnhardt, Jr. said of the last lap tangle. "I think he was just trying to push the No. 48. He didn't think, oh here's my chance and knock them both out. He just got excited trying to push the No. 48. I don't think he should lose any points or anything. He was just racing hard there."

Gordon's day started well as he led seven times for 27 laps up until lap 138 when he was involved in the "Big One." The No. 24 Chevrolet was one of three cars that had to head to the garage for repairs.

"It is pretty much done for us as far as I am concerned as far as the championship but we have a lot of great races left in this Chase that we can win and that is all we can focus on now going forward," Gordon said.

With his 27th-place finish, Jeff Burton remains the championship leader and now holds a six-point advantage over Matt Kenseth. Mark Martin (-10), Kevin Harvick (-33) and Denny Hamlin (-51) round out the top five. Johnson stays eighth, 156 points out.

The NEXTEL Cup Series now heads to Charlotte's Lowe's Motor Speedway for Saturday night's Bank of America 500.

So Vickers gets a win so what he's not the chase but what if he gets another win and it cost chaser points what a bad day for them.

he misjudged the distance between his bumper at johnson's and caused the wreck. so what, big deal. it really didn't affect which of the chasers got which points. that's what happens when you run ten chasers in a 43 car field.

No, Vickers has a history of this. He has done this before to advance himself. Don't forget the All Star race. He did it there to win. He is a punk.

yeah, this is true. NASCAR will never be like the old days... but then again, in the old days, they would have showed the fights and probably even encouraged it.

Back