Controversial Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

benaakatz

I know this happened somewhat. If you were an allied soldier and liberated a concentration/death camp and the s.s. were still there, do you think you would have killed them? How do you guys feel morally about this situation? Is it an okay response (after all these guys are responsible for the piles and piles of bodies on the ground) or should you/any soldier in this situation just capture the s.s. and bring them to trial?

again, i know this is a controversial q, i just wanted to know your thoughts.

I know a group of soldiers that hanged all the Guards at a Japanese POW camp along with all the Japanese prisoners they had. They were so appalled at the condition of the Allied POW's that they dealt with it there and then. The unit that did this were sent home in disgrace.

It is an impossible question to answer without being in the situation in the first place, we already know instances of guards being killed so clearly some felt killing them was a valid response.

Another of the problems with your question is it asks us to make a moral judgement and as such there can only be one answer in that killing a captured opponent is morally wrong, society accepts this as it is enshrined into both civil and military law.

However I hope you also understand that there is a great deal of difference between what is morally correct and actuality, after all wars are morally wrong yet we still fight them with the best of intentions and if you listen hard enough you find god is apparently on both sides.

As it goes in the case of the concentration camps I would hope I would follow the rules but at the same time I doubt I could condemn those that didn't.

Last edited:
I know a group of soldiers that hanged all the Guards at a Japanese POW camp along with all the Japanese prisoners they had. They were so appalled at the condition of the Allied POW's that they dealt with it there and then. The unit that did this were sent home in disgrace.

Don't suppose you have sources references to this occurance?

This is a question you cant answer unless you were there, moraly hand them over but you are aware of what they have done & if conditions are appalling that might tip you over the edge. Everybody has there breaking point someone just killed your child in front of you going to call the authorities?

Totally agree. If the good guys are ignoring the laws of war, how they can claim themselves to be better than bad guys? :?
Hooray!!!

We have someone who understands the problem.

It seems that we are falling into a trap of our own making here in that there will soon be no difference between "them" and "us" as we are doing all those things that we would normally attribute to "the bad guys".

This then casts a shadow over out whole Raison D'être.

It's hard to say really The SS were ferocious warriors and would have probably fought to the death than be captured. There are even stories of the German troops assisting the Allies in were the SS were and taking them out in extreme cases! So personally, I would have fought they would have been shot either way.

I wouldn't have executed them out of hand but I would have given them an almighty bashing with the butt of my rifle. The commandant, on the other hand would have bee shot dead on the spot once the "There was nothing I could do. I was only following orders" stuff came out.

Chuckpike yes I know the men that did it and the Regiment that they served.

Apparently you are not willing to share or supply sources, indictating your statement; "The unit that did this were sent home in disgrace." is inaccurate at best, but more likely not true. Along with your statement that you know the men.

Apparently you are not willing to share or supply sources, indictating your statement; "The unit that did this were sent home in disgrace." is inaccurate at best, but more likely not true. Along with your statement that you know the men.

That's quite an accusation.
You can choose not to believe it if you find the evidence lacking but to call someone a liar, you better have some good counter evidence yourself.

Not every thing is written down on the web, and some Regiments like to keep some of there more dubious deeds under wraps. I think if you dig deep enough you can find some record of it.

He isn't interested. Ever noticed what happens when you actually post a source? He just stops posting. So it's not really about learning anything new, he's just trying to sh1t on people.
Just ignore him.
Don't feed the troll.

That's quite an accusation.
You can choose not to believe it if you find the evidence lacking but to call someone a liar, you better have some good counter evidence yourself.

1. None of your business, unless you are trying to moderate.
2. I did not call him a liar. You are just trying to instigate a problem.
3. Sources have been requested and he has not reponded to the request as required under forum rules.
4. The fact that he does not supply sources indicates the probabilty that his statement is not true. Suggesting that a statement is not true is not the same as calling someone a liar.

It is time for him to put up or shutup, or he might be considered a liar.

1. None of your business, unless you are trying to moderate.

It is time for him to put up or shutup, or he might be considered a liar.

Then it is not your place to request sources or else be called a liar.
I believe the proper protocol is to press that button on the bottom of the post that has a triangle and an exclaimation mark on it. Then report "failed to provide sources when asked" and let a moderator deal with it.

2. I did not call him a liar. You are just trying to instigate a problem

"Along with your statement that you know the men."
Busted.

Also the fact that he did not provide sources means there is a possibility that the statement is not true. It does not mean the statement is PROBABLY not true. You say you served in the Navy but have not provided any evidence to the rest of us. According to your logic, I might as well just call you a liar right now.

Not every thing is written down on the web, and some Regiments like to keep some of there more dubious deeds under wraps. I think if you dig deep enough you can find some record of it.

You accuse military units of improper acts and I am supposed to find the records? Put up or shut up. You are as bad as the news media at attacking the military services.

Interesting, you are willing to make disparaging accusations of military units with out supporting with facts or sources.

Chuckpike yes I know the men that did it and the Regiment that they served.

Since you "know these men" why can't can't you supply the requested information? It would not have been a secret or how would they have been sent home in disgrace? How do you know these men. Your profile shows you as 73. Take away 65 years to go back close to when the actions you claim occurred, you were 8.

Must be nice to sit back and make accusations and get some whiner to support you.

You should be suspended for making unsupported derogatory claims and failing to supply sources when requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back