Controversial Question

--

February 21st, 2010  
benaakatz

Topic: Controversial Question

I know this happened somewhat. If you were an allied soldier and liberated a concentration/death camp and the s.s. were still there, do you think you would have killed them? How do you guys feel morally about this situation? Is it an okay response (after all these guys are responsible for the piles and piles of bodies on the ground) or should you/any soldier in this situation just capture the s.s. and bring them to trial?

again, i know this is a controversial q, i just wanted to know your thoughts.
February 21st, 2010  
LeEnfield

I know a group of soldiers that hanged all the Guards at a Japanese POW camp along with all the Japanese prisoners they had. They were so appalled at the condition of the Allied POW's that they dealt with it there and then. The unit that did this were sent home in disgrace.
February 21st, 2010  
MontyB

It is an impossible question to answer without being in the situation in the first place, we already know instances of guards being killed so clearly some felt killing them was a valid response.

Another of the problems with your question is it asks us to make a moral judgement and as such there can only be one answer in that killing a captured opponent is morally wrong, society accepts this as it is enshrined into both civil and military law.

However I hope you also understand that there is a great deal of difference between what is morally correct and actuality, after all wars are morally wrong yet we still fight them with the best of intentions and if you listen hard enough you find god is apparently on both sides.

As it goes in the case of the concentration camps I would hope I would follow the rules but at the same time I doubt I could condemn those that didn't.
--
February 21st, 2010  
senojekips

I would not, if I was given the choice. I would turn them over to the relevant authorities.
February 21st, 2010  
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
I know a group of soldiers that hanged all the Guards at a Japanese POW camp along with all the Japanese prisoners they had. They were so appalled at the condition of the Allied POW's that they dealt with it there and then. The unit that did this were sent home in disgrace.
Don't suppose you have sources references to this occurance?
February 21st, 2010  
imp

This is a question you cant answer unless you were there, moraly hand them over but you are aware of what they have done & if conditions are appalling that might tip you over the edge. Everybody has there breaking point someone just killed your child in front of you going to call the authorities?
February 22nd, 2010  
LeEnfield

Chuckpike yes I know the men that did it and the Regiment that they served.
February 23rd, 2010  
Supostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
I would not, if I was given the choice. I would turn them over to the relevant authorities.
Totally agree. If the good guys are ignoring the laws of war, how they can claim themselves to be better than bad guys?
February 23rd, 2010  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supostat
Totally agree. If the good guys are ignoring the laws of war, how they can claim themselves to be better than bad guys?
Hooray!!!

We have someone who understands the problem.

It seems that we are falling into a trap of our own making here in that there will soon be no difference between "them" and "us" as we are doing all those things that we would normally attribute to "the bad guys".

This then casts a shadow over out whole Raison D'Ítre.
February 24th, 2010  
Yin717

It's hard to say really The SS were ferocious warriors and would have probably fought to the death than be captured. There are even stories of the German troops assisting the Allies in were the SS were and taking them out in extreme cases! So personally, I would have fought they would have been shot either way.