Considering Joining the National Guard...

AB_Shorts_Momma

Milforum Otaku
I will be 39 next week, and am out of shape. I know that being out of shape can be fixed. The National Guard has offered a package I am seriously considering, but I want to do this smart. I'm not a kid out of high school, I am a mother of two teenagers (one is my Air Force Girl!). I enrolled at a local gym, and picked out a personal trainer. She enlisted in the Marines when she was 19 and served 6 years. I chose her in hopes that she can help me get physically fit enough to breeze (I know that is only a dream, but it is a nice one) through basic training on the physical fitness aspect. I would love to be able to make my daughter proud.

Do you have suggestions of other things I can do to prepare? I will not join until I know that I will not fail... those are my tax dollars at work too, and I don't want to waste them!

I joined this forum today, and have seen many helpful suggestions for the Marines. My husband served in the Marine Corps, and I have great respect for them, but I have heard from him that all other branches have... not as hard (yes, I cleaned up his version)... boot camps. (My laugh for the day was when my personal trainer told me he was a "Hollywood Marine"! I hadn't heard that one before. And, as she told me to expect, the first thing out of his mouth after I asked him was, "I climbed Mount Mother-F***er!" LOL)

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

In terms of fitness, if you have a former Marine training you, you probably have the best help right there. Someone who understands the military and understands fitness as a profession. Listen to what she days, do as she tells you but remember that discipline at home is also very important. Cut down on carbs. You have to eat some, but try eating less and less of it and more and more of something else like protein. That will help in losing weight. If possible, make your meal several small ones. No chips or any greasy snacks and avoid greasy food or Chinese takeout food in general.

Thank you sir! (I thought there was no such thing as a "former Marine"? We, my daughters & I are sternly told that whenever we have uttered those words! Could my dear sweet husband be mistaken? LOL)

I have 15 lbs to lose, but I am more concerned with the idea of doing well, no matter what order is given.

Remember, as we... yes we... get older, the body takes longer to heal and recover from workouts. Make sure that your diet is coupled with your workouts.

When you enlist, make sure you don't sign anything until you get what you want. I associate enlisting as like buying a new car. You aren't going to spend all that money because they don't have the options you want. Don't settle until you get what you want.

Which is why I'm not going in this time, but going to try my luck for next time.
That's good advice there. So what kind of package are you looking at?

The recruiter said:
* go in as E3
* $10,000 bonus after basic
* $10,000 bonus after 3rd year
* National Guard will pay almost $5,000 per year toward my student loan
* approx. $350.00 per month payment for being in college full time (12-credit hrs or more per quarter, I believe)
*Current college classes paid in full (if the GI Bill doesn't cover all costs, the NG will pick up the tab).
* As soon as I make E5, will be able to become a warrant officer. (I am really unsure how this works compared to anything else.)
* Retirement package
* Insurance (health @ around $250/month for my husband and myself)

Those were the highlights that made me strongly consider going ahead... but I have 3 more years to totally make up my mind, so I want to do my research & make sure that I am physically ready before I sign any paperwork.

Any suggestions? I welcome all advise!

Wait, you're almost 40 years old and you can put in your 20 years to have a full pension? Or is this some kind of partial deal?
Someone who knows the US system better is going to have to help you with that one.
Also, you should see if being able to become a Warrant Officer means it applies specifically to people like you with specialties that you offer or if it's just a general across the board kind of thing where you basically have very little chance of actually landing the gig.
E-3... do you have a college degree?

I have an Associate of Science in Computer Science, and a Technical Certificate in Accounting. I have been taking classes at a local college, and am considered a Senior.I am currently majoring in a Business Degree. They talked about me becoming an HR Warrant Officer.

I know my strengths, and I believe I still have something useful to our military. I also know that It would be out of my nature to pull the trigger on any human thing... I throw up at the sight of turtle blood...

Wait, you're almost 40 years old and you can put in your 20 years to have a full pension? Or is this some kind of partial deal?

The information I received from the recruiter was that the retirement was based on rank. I am not sure anything he said was true... that is why I am here. LOL :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure Warrant is open to NG in that field. Rember that making E5 in the Guard ain't always easy it's dependant on billets in alot of cases.

The recruiter said:
* go in as E3
* $10,000 bonus after basic
* $10,000 bonus after 3rd year
* National Guard will pay almost $5,000 per year toward my student loan
* approx. $350.00 per month payment for being in college full time (12-credit hrs or more per quarter, I believe)
*Current college classes paid in full (if the GI Bill doesn't cover all costs, the NG will pick up the tab).
* As soon as I make E5, will be able to become a warrant officer. (I am really unsure how this works compared to anything else.)
* Retirement package
* Insurance (health @ around $250/month for my husband and myself)
Why am I in the German Military again? ...

Why am I in the German Military again? ...

Pride in your country... that was the opportunity available to you?

What type of incentive packages does the German Military offer to entice citizens to enlist?

Make sure Warrant is open to NG in that field. Rember that making E5 in the Guard ain't always easy it's dependent on billets in alot of cases.

1. How do I go about making sure warrant is open to NG in that field?
  2. Please give me more detail about the billets. I thought that since I would have my degree before I made E5, I would easily get the promotion (as long as I got good marks on my pt tests). If my interpretation of what the recruiter is incorrect, please enlighten me! I definitely want the facts before I sign anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pride in your country... that was the opportunity available to you?

What type of incentive packages does the German Military offer to entice citizens to enlist?
None, there are some (big) exceptions though if you've studied something they need- then you can enter as Captain and will become Major after basic training and officers school. I went to officers school with two captains who had studied meteorology... We have no national guard- only Reserves. In case of total war we could come up with about 8 mil. Reservists.

I will be 39 next week, and am out of shape. I know that being out of shape can be fixed. The National Guard has offered a package I am seriously considering, but I want to do this smart. I'm not a kid out of high school, I am a mother of two teenagers (one is my Air Force Girl!). I enrolled at a local gym, and picked out a personal trainer. She enlisted in the Marines when she was 19 and served 6 years. I chose her in hopes that she can help me get physically fit enough to breeze (I know that is only a dream, but it is a nice one) through basic training on the physical fitness aspect. I would love to be able to make my daughter proud.

Do you have suggestions of other things I can do to prepare? I will not join until I know that I will not fail... those are my tax dollars at work too, and I don't want to waste them!

I joined this forum today, and have seen many helpful suggestions for the Marines. My husband served in the Marine Corps, and I have great respect for them, but I have heard from him that all other branches have... not as hard (yes, I cleaned up his version)... boot camps. (My laugh for the day was when my personal trainer told me he was a "Hollywood Marine"! I hadn't heard that one before. And, as she told me to expect, the first thing out of his mouth after I asked him was, "I climbed Mount Mother-F***er!" LOL)

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Hi there.. You have some big decisions to make! I came to this forum a couple years back along with my wife. We made posts much like you are concerning me joining the National Guard!

I am a Father of 4.I joined at 36. I was out of shape even though I exercised and ran several months before I joined! If they offer a RSP program to train before you leave take it. Depending on MOS would you have to move or not?

It's gonna be tough no doubt about it. Being gone from family.The physical and mental part. Like I was told it's just as much mental as physical.

I was told you can go all out at BT and AIT or you can be the ghost. The all star or the student who sits in the back row basically LOL!

You have some help in preparing it sounds like so that is a plus.

I was gone for 4 months OSUT. It's an honor to serve this country. I will never forget that feeling marching from barracks to graduating ceremony and seeing family there.

The help from this forum was a big help and I appreciate it!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
So... do you get yelled at if you are a big baby and start bawling when you see your family? It seems that a lot will bring tears anymore (part of that lovely change of life I'm told). It is yet another concern when joining. I don't believe I have anything that will DQ me at meps, but emotions, especially pride in my family & military, seem to bring tears. I didn't even think of that until your post!

Right out of NCO school I may be looking at a roughly $1,000 dollar per month wage.
Benefits... errr....
Free healthcare (where I get to be a lab monkey for guys who haven't finished their medical degrees)
Sometimes they pay for some of your education but don't really tell you who is eligible and how much they support.
You get to start over and start your life anew (unscrew up your life... yes they actually say this on the website)
It's a real job! (YES THEY SAY THIS ON THE SITE)
Stability and healthy lifestyle (premature arthritis, stomach acid, drinking problems etc. but if you are able to re-up once as an NCO you'll be hard to fire)
Earn the respect of your countrymen and family by defending your country (Reality: Everyone thinks you're an NCO because you're incapable of doing anything productive outside. Koreans think military people are losers. This is why Korea's always gotten their butt kicked at war except Vietnam where we kicked so much ass. Things never change.)
A mentally and physically healthy environment (swear a lot, get carted off to hospital due to latest injury sustained during training)

What they don't list and this baffles me: You get to shoot guns.

So... do you get yelled at if you are a big baby and start bawling when you see your family? It seems that a lot will bring tears anymore (part of that lovely change of life I'm told). It is yet another concern when joining. I don't believe I have anything that will DQ me at meps, but emotions, especially pride in my family & military, seem to bring tears. I didn't even think of that until your post!

I first saw my Family the night before graduation 16 wks in. I was able to leave post,for several hours to visit. The next day I left Fort Leonard Wood. I got a phone call as soon as I arrived at Reception A.G. before basic then it was a while before we talked. For me phone calls depended on the Platoons actions,whether I passed APFT tests,and the Drill Sergeants mood:lol:

As far as MEPS that will depend on what doc says! I had semi flat feet,but that wasn't a issue for me.

I wrote plenty of letters home,and recieved even more along with pics,and little things that meant alot!

Last edited:
Back