Conservatives Cite Defeats as Rebuke of Moderates

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Not sure about anyone else but I found this rather interesting, it makes me think that if this is the general line of thinking a GOP comeback in 2010 may be delayed.

Conservatives Cite Defeats as Rebuke of Moderates

By Michael Falcone After a stinging rebuke of their party on Election Day, a group of soul-searching conservatives who met to map out the future of their movement on Thursday suggested that their best course was to turn their back on more moderate elements of the Republican Party.
And they said that if future candidates for public office want to tap into the vast fund-raising and grassroots resources of the conservative movement, they would have to fit a “job description” holding them to a set of core principles, like fiscal restraint, opposition to abortion, tough border security and a strong national defense.
“The moderate wing of the Republican Party is dead,” L. Brent Bozell, the founder of the Media Research Center, a conservative watchdog group, told reporters on a conference call after the meeting.
The group of about 20 prominent conservative who met at Mr. Bozell’s retreat in the Virginia countryside said the election was a signal that conservatives had become too accommodating of moderate Republican views.
“Conservatives were silent when Republican Congressional leaders massively expanded government,” said Richard A. Viguerie, a longtime leader of the movement. “Going forward you are going to see conservatives look to themselves for leadership.”
The defeat of Senator John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, as well as Democratic gains in the House and Senate, was the catalyst for Thursday’s discussion. In House races, in particular, it was the view of the group that conservatives held onto many of their seats while moderate Republicans fared poorly.
Keith Appell, the senior vice president of a public relations firm active in Republican causes, said on Friday that conservatives were not lamenting the losses of moderate members of the party.
“I don’t think any of us are going to shed any tears over losing Chris Shays,” Mr. Appell, said. Mr. Shays, a Republican Congressman from Connecticut, has long drawn the ire of conservatives for his left-leaning views. He was defeated in his re-election bid on Tuesday by Democrat Jim Himes.
The members of the small group, who planned to continue their meetings, suggested the future of their movement rested on a return to fundamental conservative principles coupled with a more effective use of technologies, like social networking and text messaging, that Democrats have so successfully harnessed.
Others who attended the meeting included Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, Tony Blankley, who served as a spokesman for Newt Gingrich, Al Regnery, the publisher of the American Spectator, and Kellyanne Conway, a Republican pollster.
Tony Perkins, director of the Family Research Council and a participant in the deliberations, said in an interview that Tuesday’s election confirmed that the Republican Party is “in a ditch.” Candidates for elected officials who are “squishy on conservative principles” would not longer be tolerated, Mr. Perkins said.
And even after a bruising campaign, some said they regarded the Republican vice presidential candidate, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, as a rising conservative star.
“I can tell you that the candidacy of Sarah Palin was immensely helpful — actually essential — to making this a reasonably close race,” said Morton C. Blackwell, a conservative activist. Had Mr. McCain not selected her to be his running mate, Mr. Blackwell said, “I think the Republican ticket would have fared like Senator Dole’s did back in 1996.”
Many polls, though, suggested that while Mrs. Palin initially provided a boost to the McCain campaign, by the last weeks of the race her presence on the ticket had turned away many voters, particularly more moderate ones.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/conservatives-cite-defeats-as-reason-to-move-right/

"The group of about 20 prominent conservative who met at Mr. Bozell’s retreat in the Virginia countryside said the election was a signal that conservatives had become too accommodating of moderate Republican views".

Boy, they just don't get it do they? Talk about wearing blinders. While most people are saying the GOP has gone too far to the right, these people want to take it even further right.

They mock Chris Shays loss in CT, they are frankly silly to do so. Chris Shays was more representative of mainstream America than they are, and hes was from CT, a liberal state. Not too many GOPs in liberal states and now their is one less. Chances are they have lost that seat forever because its highly unlikely the people from CT will vote conservative.

Its because the GOP took such a hard right turn in recent years that Moderates turned their back to them. Wasn't Sarah Palin proof enough? They moment she spouting her far rightwing agenda the moderates balked, and the 3-4 pt lead Obama had became 8-11 points.

The only way that the GOP has any shot of getting back into power is by appealing to the moderates and thats not going to happen with a far right agenda.

Last edited:
Its because the GOP took such a hard right turn in recent years that Moderates turned their back to them. Wasn't Sarah Palin proof enough? They moment she spouting her far rightwing agenda the moderates balked, and the 3-4 pt lead Obama had became 8-11 points.

The only way that the GOP has any shot of getting back into power is by appealing to the moderates and thats not going to happen with a far right agenda.
Yup. I agree. I wasn't a big fan of her myself after a bit and I know that is why many of my friends ended up voting Obama.

Personally I don't think being ultra conservative OR ultra liberal is a healthy stance for a country.

Conservative extremism almost extinct ... and rightly so .....

It was the brand of conservative politics that GW Bush and the majority of the GOP party has practiced over the last eight years, that turned off most Americans. It was a policy that resulted in abject failure as far as the electorate is concerned.

Liberal or Conservative, the one way to garner support of the 'not so silent majority', is to maintains a stance which is more middle of the road ... a fact that was made apparent during this last election. Virtually every single poll (post election), has indicated that most voters look for policies that return the country to a more centrist position ... that restores the middle class to it's pre-GW Bush place in the economy ... and ... returns politics to a more moderate philosophy where spending and deficits are concerned. The voters are willing to see deficits (as long as they address the gap between the haves and the have-nots), providing it doesn't make the rich richer or the poor poorer.

Polls indicate that the 500 pound Gorilla that was always in the room during the Presidential Election cycle, were the GW Bush, Bush administration and GOP failures over the last eight years. Fair or otherwise, neither McCain, Palin nor the GOP were ever able to overcome this eight year added load.

Unless or until the GOP can come to grips with these facts, the Republican party is going to end up languishing on the sidelines.

The GOP's extreme brand of conservative politics, is almost destined for extinction.

One big danger for the Democratic Party, is the possibility that the party swings so far to the liberal extreme, that they could very well re-energize the conservative wing of the GOP.

Only time will tell ..................

This is a classic example of Ideology replacing reality, we saw this all too well during the first part of the Bush Administration:

If a situation isn't going the way you thought it would (like the Iraq War): do like Bush and pretend it is. Whatever you do, don't begin to question your beliefs or listen to criticism (like the fact we didnt have enough troops) because after all it's not like you could be mistaken right?

This is exactly the same situation, we have a bunch of conservative ideologues that are absolutely convinced that America is really as Conservative as they are. And despite the complaints about them being too radical and not listening to the concerns of mainstream America (economy, health care, the wars, the environment, etc) they stubbornly plow full steam into a minefield, without thinking about slowing down, or talking a different direction.

Well, if that's what they want to do, I can give you the prediction of the results of 2010 election, it will end the same way this one did, with the GOP being called the party of George W. Bush (whom will not yet have been forgotten by the Public) and the Dem's will cruise to another victory.

These people have to accept that Bush KILLED the GOP conservative party. If they want to get back power, they are going to have to reinvent themselves like Newt Gingrich did in 1994 and the Democrats in 2006. If they keep trying to clinging on to the memory of Bush then they had better get used to losing election, because nobody wants another W as president, and pushing someone like Palin seems to suggest that they still don't get it.

Last edited:
Back