Congressman: 'Take out' holy sites If terrorists nuke U.S. - Page 6

--

August 4th, 2005  
Missileer

Actually, the Allied forces did very well avoiding hits on Mosques until the snipers started using them as firing positions and weapons caches. I do believe it was the Mullahs who had that stopped by threatening the insurgents.
August 4th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Actually, the Allied forces did very well avoiding hits on Mosques until the snipers started using them as firing positions and weapons caches. I do believe it was the Mullahs who had that stopped by threatening the insurgents.

that comment got me thinking back to the big european wars, what was the no 1 choice of position for snipers and artillery spotters? churches.

and i agree with you missileer, US forces have done well to avoid (for the most part) doing damage to holy sites in iraq.

but i think threats along the lines of this senators are going to inflame muslims around the world rather than pacify a few insurgents
August 4th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Its not so much retaliation, its more of a threat. If the islamo-nazis know were going to nuke there holy sites if they attack us, they might think twice.
More likely it would be seen as fuel for their fire. "Kill the infidels who would destroy our holy Mecca!" would be a rallying cry I'm sure they'd use. Add to that, it is never a good idea to make a threat you can't or won't backup. If we made such a threat we'd have to be 100% willing to do it and that as some of us have already stated is not a thing we should be doing under any circumstances for the reasons we've already stated as well.
--
August 5th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

Am telling ye ol lads. Commiting such an act is really bad. I mean ok, the terrorists are bloody bad and needs be dealt with, but wut about the other innocent civilians who live there ?? You cant just go ahead and bomb some place just because some other bloody bastards are nuking some place. Either, we should work together and make our goals on capturing those bloody slubidigolions. What says ye good ol chaps??? 8)
August 5th, 2005  
Pyro

yes Terrorism is bad. but taking out holy sites will make more of them appear. apparently this congressman doesnt understand that part of the logic
August 5th, 2005  
Missileer

I think Tony Blair has come up with the solution. Either become 100% British or leave. Anyone who preaches hate or threats will be deported. I hope he sends them to the Antarctic.
August 5th, 2005  
Locke

i would say "and i hope the penguins kick them out of Antarctica" but there aren't any here, i dont think (read smth somewhere that they are only at one of the poles)
August 5th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I think Tony Blair has come up with the solution. Either become 100% British or leave. Anyone who preaches hate or threats will be deported. I hope he sends them to the Antarctic.
Given that the "solution" Blair has "come up with" is a copy of laws France has been using for the last couple of months I think perhaps we should assign credit where credit is due.

However the problem for Blairs law is that it would not have helped in the case of the London attacks where the attackers and the "muslim leaders" were locals which makes deportation kind of silly.
August 22nd, 2005  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Its not so much retaliation, its more of a threat. If the islamo-nazis know were going to nuke there holy sites if they attack us, they might think twice.
What you almost surly see happen would be instead of having a few thousand muslims who hate us, you would have every single muslim in the world hate us including those in SE Asia and Africa. That would be in the ballpark of about 1 Billion new terrorists to deal with...

Not a good idea.

MontyB

Well said. Indeed, the French have the strictest anti-muslim extremist laws in the western world.
August 25th, 2005  
BennettNC_156

I completely agree with the guy. If we get attacked by islamic terrorists we should hit them where it will really hurts. what is that sacred stone that they all travel too in mecca, i advocate hitting it first,