Confused now. I think my DD214 was printed with wrong info? Help!

jbentley

Ok so I joined the Navy in Oct 2011 and served active duty for a year and a half.

Why I was discharged:

I was asked to go TAD to a different ship since they were undermanned. While on that ship and on duty, I was sexually harassed and almost raped by a superior. I filed a formal complaint and shortly after, returned to my home ship. Once I was back, I got word that the CO of that ship threw everything out for "insufficient evidence" (and I later found out that the guy was that ships #1 EP, so they didnt want him to look bad). After hearing the outcome, I flipped out and my Chief asked me to talk to mental health, so I did. In that meeting I verbally said that if I ever saw that guy again I would hurt him. The doc recommended me for administrative separation and I agreed because I was pissed at the "system". I am really no harm to anyone or myself at all, I WAS rightfully and obviously upset about the whole incident.

Why Im confused:

I did great in bootcamp and promoted to E3 upon graduation. I was ship staff too. In A school I was a duty section leader and got honors in school. Graduated the top of my division in C school. Once in the fleet, I was doing awesome - no problems. Then the TAD incident happened and afterwards was separated. Ive read about the "RE-4" code being for SUPER bad things and bad conduct, etc. But I never did anything bad or wrong, I was the victim in this instance, so why the derogatory code? And RE-4 is usually accompanied by an OTH or BCD...but I have honorable? Did someone make a mistake somewhere?

Why Im really asking for help/advice:

My cousin was killed on 9/11/2001 on the plane that hit the ground in PA and since then I always wanted to serve. That incident in the Navy and me separating has been devastating and I want to re-join, even into another branch (prefer army). I am fully capable to serve my commitments. Im not a criminal or a badass or cause any mischief...I simply want to serve.

Looking at my DD214 right now it has the following info...

Type - Discharged
Character - Honorable
Separation Code - KFX
ReEntry Code - RE-4
Narrative - Personality Disorder

Any advice, tips, information is greatly appreciated.

(American members, please feel free to correct me)

First off, I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances surrounding your release, but I'm afraid the RE code isn't a mistake.

An RE-4 code simply means "no longer fit for service", and isn't necessarily tied to the character of the discharge. While it's usually associated with a BCD, it can also be assigned for certain medical discharges, including mental health related ones (which yours is), that prevent return to service.

From my understanding, an RE-4 code can be upgraded or waived, but chances of that happening are extremely unlikely. However, there's nothing stopping you from talking to a recruiter as to the process for that. I just wouldn't get my hopes up, but best of luck to you if you do try.

I hope this has shed some light on your situation.

(American members, please feel free to correct me)

First off, I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances surrounding your release, but I'm afraid the RE code isn't a mistake.

An RE-4 code simply means "no longer fit for service", and isn't necessarily tied to the character of the discharge. While it's usually associated with a BCD, it can also be assigned for certain medical discharges, including mental health related ones (which yours is), that prevent return to service.

From my understanding, an RE-4 code can be upgraded or waived, but chances of that happening are extremely unlikely. However, there's nothing stopping you from talking to a recruiter as to the process for that. I just wouldn't get my hopes up, but best of luck to you if you do try.

I hope this has shed some light on your situation.
You would be correct although it is generally accompanied by a BCD, or OTH in some cases sucjh as this one it does not testfy to charecter of service that would depend on the type of discharge which effects re-enlistment.

Similar incident. Didnt want to create another thread. Seemes unneeded.

Okay. Let's see.

General (Honorable)
Serious offense
RE-4

I naturally get along with people, but. Man this is hard to explain. I'll start with saying I'm an Introvert.

Seemed like I was getting way to much attention, being an Introvert, that's... I can't control my personality type. Just give me time to myself to recharge.

Anyways. No matter where I went or what I did. People knew and with that in mind, it just took away a sense of security.

When I started to get in trouble and when I explained my situation. Theyd mutter things like "This is so stupid." Hinting they already know. Im like, then why am I here. Just give me space to recharge.

I got sent to mental hospital. They said I was perfectly normal and let me go (I told them its hard to function when Im constantly feeling watched, generating anxiety.) They thought I was making it up, so. They just said nope. -.-

Same with medical. Im like...... I'm pretty sure you know as Ive been sent down here for same reasons. They just shoved it aside. Im like. Ok facebook gone. Contacts gone. I just shoved friends aside after mass (which I was reduced to E1, being told by CO to stay out of trouble. Hence the withdraw from people.) I just chilled and worked. Then called into legal mans office saying "Here's your discharge." I wont lie, I got a little pissy, did exactly what CO said and then this. They just told me, he changed his mind.

I joined to help people. A guy that literally joined to help people. Then, I got this.

I have a lot of empathy for people,which is why I need to completely alone to recharge. Just.

I didn't go to TAPS. They ignored my medical thing, assuming, hes faking it.

I don't lie. I always avoid medical. So my first times down there and turned away....

Anyways. I just see no justice in this. -.-

Just posting this here as well. I know a majority people are extroverts, this is a community of introverts that described what it felt like. http://personalitycafe.com/intj-art...tj.html#/forumsite/20588/topics/112802?page=1

Last edited:
Okay. Let's see.

General (Honorable)
Serious offense
RE-4

I naturally get along with people, but. Man this is hard to explain. I'll start with saying I'm an Introvert.

Seemed like I was getting way to much attention, being an Introvert, that's... I can't control my personality type. Just give me time to myself to recharge.

Anyways. No matter where I went or what I did. People knew and with that in mind, it just took away a sense of security.

When I started to get in trouble and when I explained my situation. Theyd mutter things like "This is so stupid." Hinting they already know. Im like, then why am I here. Just give me space to recharge.

I got sent to mental hospital. They said I was perfectly normal and let me go (I told them its hard to function when Im constantly feeling watched, generating anxiety.) They thought I was making it up, so. They just said nope. -.-

Same with medical. Im like...... I'm pretty sure you know as Ive been sent down here for same reasons. They just shoved it aside. Im like. Ok facebook gone. Contacts gone. I just shoved friends aside after mass (which I was reduced to E1, being told by CO to stay out of trouble. Hence the withdraw from people.) I just chilled and worked. Then called into legal mans office saying "Here's your discharge." I wont lie, I got a little pissy, did exactly what CO said and then this. They just told me, he changed his mind.

I joined to help people. A guy that literally joined to help people. Then, I got this.

I have a lot of empathy for people,which is why I need to completely alone to recharge. Just.

I didn't go to TAPS. They ignored my medical thing, assuming, hes faking it.

I don't lie. I always avoid medical. So my first times down there and turned away....

Anyways. I just see no justice in this. -.-

Just posting this here as well. I know a majority people are extroverts, this is a community of introverts that described what it felt like. http://personalitycafe.com/intj-art...tj.html#/forumsite/20588/topics/112802?page=1

This is the problem with a lot of people joining the military as of late. The military doesn't have to accommodate you. YOU accommodate the military. It is not the military's job to play 20 questions with you to figure out how to make you work. It is your job to figure out how to work within the military.

I'm not sure what you expected when you joined, but you do understand that the military reserves the right to do with you as they please once you sign that contract?...YOU signed that contract...NOT THEM. YOU gave them that power...not them...YOU didn't conform...not them.

The military owes you nothing and if you joined thinking that was the case then you are in for a loooong ride.

The Army is putting me out after 15 years of service. They gave me a chance to heal and I couldn't handle their timeline so I must go. This is how it works. At this time, I am a liability to not only myself...but worse, to the soldiers I serve with because I can't do the job and I can't keep up. AND I'M A CAPTAIN...Nobody is above the system and nobody is above scrutiny. Just get out of the way and let those who can better help people do their work. This is what is best for the service, it isn't personal. So don't take it personal.

This is the problem with a lot of people joining the military as of late. The military doesn't have to accommodate you. YOU accommodate the military. It is not the military's job to play 20 questions with you to figure out how to make you work. It is your job to figure out how to work within the military.

I'm not sure what you expected when you joined, but you do understand that the military reserves the right to do with you as they please once you sign that contract?...YOU signed that contract...NOT THEM. YOU gave them that power...not them...YOU didn't conform...not them.

The military owes you nothing and if you joined thinking that was the case then you are in for a loooong ride.

The Army is putting me out after 15 years of service. They gave me a chance to heal and I couldn't handle their timeline so I must go. This is how it works. At this time, I am a liability to not only myself...but worse, to the soldiers I serve with because I can't do the job and I can't keep up. AND I'M A CAPTAIN...Nobody is above the system and nobody is above scrutiny. Just get out of the way and let those who can better help people do their work. This is what is best for the service, it isn't personal. So don't take it personal.

This. Lol. Ok. So if everyone invaded your space and insulted you and you tried to figure out what their problem was, but they refused to say. Its "your" fault?

I'm not a ****in mind reader.

Example. I get everyone to constantly watch you and make you feel youve done something wrong. No one ever says what. Lol that loser watching tv. Lol that loser hanging out with friends.

It doesn't really comply. If you're upset with something, you directly tell them. That's just really dumb. -.-

The moment they started to send me to mass and shit for trying to figure wtf is going on. I cut off all of them and just did my job.

Oh he's trying to help everyone around him out. Mass him. That's so retarded.

Since trying to help people out got me in trouble. I just did my job. Then I got in trouble again.

But ya. If everyone around you just insulted you everyday in a passive aggressive manner and then say you're at fault. Anytime you try and see what their problem is. They say nothing. I fail to see how that's my fault.

I was always direct and told them exactly what my problem was and asked what theirs was with me.

Common sense, you can't fix a problem if you don't state it.

I mean. You can say what you will, but this incident. Just. Wow.

This. Lol. Ok. So if everyone invaded your space and insulted you and you tried to figure out what their problem was, but they refused to say. Its "your" fault?

Example. I get everyone to constantly watch you and make you feel youve done something wrong. No one ever says what. Lol that loser watching tv. Lol that loser hanging out with friends.

It doesn't really comply. If you're upset with something, you directly tell them. That's just really dumb. -.-

The moment they started to send me to mass and shit for trying to figure wtf is going on. I cut off all of them and just did my job.

Since trying to help people out got me in trouble. I just did my job. Then I got in trouble again.

But ya. If everyone around you just insulted you everyday in a passive aggressive manner and then say you're at fault. Anytime you try and see what their problem is. They say nothing. I fail to see how that's my fault.

I was always direct and told them exactly what my problem was and asked what theirs was with me.

I've been in the military a long time and never has a problem that resulted in someone being kicked ever been "cut and dry".

There are formal ways in every branch that gives service members ways to reach out and correct these types of problems. If what you say is true, then it sounds like you had a hostile work environment in which you should have contacted your Equal Opportunity rep and filed a formal complaint. Or, you should have utilized your commanders mandatory open door policy and stated precisely what you said here. If he/she failed to do anything about your concerns, take it to the next level, then the next, etc etc.

What about an IG complaint? They are specifically designed to deal with these problems.

I can't honestly believe that you were blind sided about getting chaptered. It takes a ton of paperwork and a lot of substantiating documentation in the forms of counselings that you SHOULD be signing for a commander to make a chapter recommendation. Barring anything other than a crime, it is also a lengthy process.

There is definitely more to this story that you're not telling...

I've been in the military a long time and never has a problem that resulted in someone being kicked ever been "cut and dry".

There are formal ways in every branch that gives service members ways to reach out and correct these types of problems. If what you say is true, then it sounds like you had a hostile work environment in which you should have contacted your Equal Opportunity rep and filed a formal complaint. Or, you should have utilized your commanders mandatory open door policy and stated precisely what you said here. If he/she failed to do anything about your concerns, take it to the next level, then the next, etc etc.

What about an IG complaint? They are specifically designed to deal with these problems.

I can't honestly believe that you were blind sided about getting chaptered. It takes a ton of paperwork and a lot of substantiating documentation in the forms of counselings that you SHOULD be signing for a commander to make a chapter recommendation. Barring anything other than a crime, it is also a lengthy process.

There is definitely more to this story that you're not telling...

Ill try to explain when I could word everything right. That last post just hit nerves and I said first thing that came to mind.

Ill try to explain when I could word everything right. That last post just hit nerves and I said first thing that came to mind.

And why is that?

Is that something you do often? When someone "hits nerves" is it characteristic of you to say the first thing that comes to mind?

What I said in that first post is nothing new and certainly isn't harsh. If you're taking offense to it...well, that is what I would call an indicator. This is sounding very much to be a you problem...

Last edited:
No, not at all.

If you possibly got your future kinda ****ed over, when you followed all the rules and someone says you didn't do something you did.

It would kinda annoy anyone.

Im normally very calm and understanding. I hate drama and dislike arguments.

That was actually one of the first little outbursts I ever had.

Re-Phrase this. Make it kid like.

A kid punches you in the face everyday. You get sent to the principles office and the principle suspends you because you got punched in the face.

If that kid outburst at the principle asking why the hell am I getting suspended, he's the one who hit me?

A tidbit about me.
When I got pulled over by cops (Not pulled over, I was already out of car) a long time ago. I immediately told him I have two open containers, I was slightly speeding, I waited an hour before driving.

I could've ran before cops showed up, threw out the containers, something. No. I got my car out of the street, thinking about others safety before saving my own ass.

That's not someone that outbursts all the time. I went to mass for that a long time ago and blew a .08 right on the legal limit.

I told my CO exactly what happened and straight up. He was surprised by that.

Last edited:
No, not at all.

If you possibly got your future kinda ****ed over, when you followed all the rules and someone says you didn't do something you did.

It would kinda annoy anyone.

Im normally very calm and understanding. I hate drama and dislike arguments.

That was actually one of the first little outbursts I ever had.

Re-Phrase this. Make it kid like.

A kid punches you in the face everyday. You get sent to the principles office and the principle suspends you because you got punched in the face.

If that kid outburst at the principle asking why the hell am I getting suspended, he's the one who hit me?

A tidbit about me.
When I got pulled over by cops (Not pulled over, I was already out of car) a long time ago. I immediately told him I have two open containers, I was slightly speeding, I waited an hour before driving.

I could've ran before cops showed up, threw out the containers, something. No. I got my car out of the street, thinking about others safety before saving my own ass.

That's not someone that outbursts all the time. I went to mass for that a long time ago and blew a .08 right on the legal limit.

I told my CO exactly what happened and straight up. He was surprised by that.
It sounds to me like you are involved in all sorts of exceptional circumstances...from being "one of the first little outbursts you ever had" to "trying to help people and getting in trouble for it".

Your last post completely brushed over an alcohol related incident as if it was not big deal. Commanders don't deal with what you "could" have done, as if we should be grateful for it. We deal with what you did.

One of the best NCO's I ever had got mucked up because he blew within the margin of error drunk on duty,(.04) during a random 10% screening, which means he wasn't even legally drunk. I went to bat for him to try and get his NJP reduced. The Brigade commander had a Brigade policy that ANY alcohol related incident requires a Field Grade Article 15. So...even though I went to bat for him, there was nothing I could do. He still went from E-6 to E-5 and lost half his pay for 3 months with his extra duty suspended...Was it fair...no...was the policy in place...yes...did we know about the policy prior to the incident...yes(all service members are REQUIRED to know the policies of their respective commands, especially leaders)...CASE CLOSED.

You are omitting information. Your intentions mean nothing. Stop qualifying what happened with excuses and good intentions and state what you are specifically referring to. What was the reasoning that the CO stated when you were read your Article 15? They are required to specifically state what the problem is and why it is being done, on top of what your punishment is. If you were chaptered, this almost always implies more than one Article 15 for the same type of behavior, in which the command moves up one level on the NJP each time the offense occurs. UNLESS, you commit a crime and are convicted, in which, depending on the crime, you can be chaptered immediately.

I don't buy for a second that you walked into work one day and they handed you your clearing papers...that is not how it works PERIOD! What are you leaving out?

Hi,
What you do have “and you shouldn’t blame yourself or be ashamedof yourself for it” is a serious nervous illness. Of what type I don't know not knowing enough about you.

I can guarantee you that alot of this perceived behavior of others is either in your head or is being precipitatedby your own nervous actions. You are also filled with judgment and temper bothof which will follow out of the service into civilian life.

These are innerdemons that must be dealt with via therapy and medication. The VA has a lot to offer in the way of help if you prove you are in need of their services and the best part is it very well may be free (case dependent).

All the best.

Last edited:
Not at all. Im going to be talking to a veteran guy about this.

Also. I didnt go to TAPs and they threw the discharge thing out of nowhere.

You learn what happens to you at CO's mass. The CO said reduction to E1 and cleared.

Cut off people and just did my job. Then called into legalmans office.

That DUI was a character example. Not an outburst.

You guys are twisting words on me here. Assuming, instead of anything else.

With outbursts like that and such. Ill go with what my veteran guy says. In person and wont redirect and pin blame like you guys are.

I don't have any inner demons or anything. Ill have better luck speaking to a guy in person than online.

Thank you for opinions here.

It sounds to me like you are involved in all sorts of exceptional circumstances...from being "one of the first little outbursts you ever had" to "trying to help people and getting in trouble for it".

Your last post completely brushed over an alcohol related incident as if it was not big deal. Commanders don't deal with what you "could" have done, as if we should be grateful for it. We deal with what you did.

One of the best NCO's I ever had got mucked up because he blew within the margin of error drunk on duty,(.04) during a random 10% screening, which means he wasn't even legally drunk. I went to bat for him to try and get his NJP reduced. The Brigade commander had a Brigade policy that ANY alcohol related incident requires a Field Grade Article 15. So...even though I went to bat for him, there was nothing I could do. He still went from E-6 to E-5 and lost half his pay for 3 months with his extra duty suspended...Was it fair...no...was the policy in place...yes...did we know about the policy prior to the incident...yes(all service members are REQUIRED to know the policies of their respective commands, especially leaders)...CASE CLOSED.

You are omitting information. Your intentions mean nothing. Stop qualifying what happened with excuses and good intentions and state what you are specifically referring to. What was the reasoning that the CO stated when you were read your Article 15? They are required to specifically state what the problem is and why it is being done, on top of what your punishment is. If you were chaptered, this almost always implies more than one Article 15 for the same type of behavior, in which the command moves up one level on the NJP each time the offense occurs. UNLESS, you commit a crime and are convicted, in which, depending on the crime, you can be chaptered immediately.

I don't buy for a second that you walked into work one day and they handed you your clearing papers...that is not how it works PERIOD! What are you leaving out?

Im not leaving anything out. I went to mass and reduction to E-1. Told to stay out of trouble and I did. I just slept work.

Then I got called into legalmans office, saying CO changed his mind. I asked why, they said they didnt know. I then ask why serious offense. They said they didnt know.

I didnt go to TAPS. Or anything. I just stay out of trouble.

Like anytime I ask why something this or that. I get Idk. Im hoping my veteran guy can find out why I was discharged when I talk to him. When I say Idfk. Idk. I could grasp at air and try to think of things, but id rather not have to guess why I was discharged.

Not at all. Im going to be talking to a veteran guy about this.

Also. I didnt go to TAPs and they threw the discharge thing out of nowhere.

You learn what happens to you at CO's mass. The CO said reduction to E1 and cleared.

Cut off people and just did my job. Then called into legalmans office.

That DUI was a character example. Not an outburst.

You guys are twisting words on me here. Assuming, instead of anything else.

With outbursts like that and such. Ill go with what my veteran guy says. In person and wont redirect and pin blame like you guys are.

I don't have any inner demons or anything. Ill have better luck speaking to a guy in person than online.

Thank you for opinions here.

We are making assumptions here because there are big holes in your story. You haven't said anything specific since you have been on here.

We are not twisting your words, we are using the very words you use to describe YOUR situation. YOU are NOT being clear.

Give us examples of how you were helping people.

Your CO must have said more during your mass than just "Keep your nose clean"...What was it?

So you went to legal and then was discharged the next day? Like "la da di da dum" walking and singing, and then you're told "go to legal" and you're like "ok"...Wham! discharge! Go away, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars...<<<This is how I am taking your situation as YOU describe it...correct me if I am wrong.

Build some context for us or we are going to use our own logic and experience to build the context instead.

My impression so far is that you're a bit paranoid. I think you mean well but likely stick your nose in other peoples lanes a lot and perhaps that is why when you say "I was just helping people" but got a negative response from your co-workers, it was because you were doing what YOU thought would help...not what you were ordered to do. Maybe you like to make over the shoulder corrections...maybe you simply get in the way...The point is...I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CLEAR!

One thing I do know is that a commander cannot simply arbitrarily chapter one of their subordinates. It doesn't work that way. Much more happened that you're either minimizing or omitting. I know this isn't an assumption because I KNOW what the regulations are and I also know that legal would NEVER let someone wrongly get chaptered because that is a HUGE, lawsuit having, career ending, letter of reprimand gaining, losing promotion over...offense. The picture you paint implies your CO risked all that simply to "change his mind" and chapter you...I...DON'T...BUY...IT...!

Go to your veteran friend...good luck with your RE-4...

You sound like you see the fault (blame) in others and then assume they are all zeroing in on you to cause you trouble. This type of behavior is usually precipitated by some actions on your part of which you won't or can't admit (denial) to. Your story is hard to follow.

When you are calm take a good assessment of the situation. Going to a buddy that agrees with you isn't going to solve the issue. If that's what your doing?

All I am doing is reading what you saying and giving you feedback based on my experience. I would seek console from a professional if I were in your situation.

Again best of luck

Back