Concerns

Wolf

I'm planning on joining the USMC in the near future. I aim to be a sniper; however, I'm not a citizen yet... And I assume this will become a major obstacle if I were to join before I got my papers done.

Is that correct, or will I have another opportunity later in service to try-out for the position?

Never assume anything, its the mother of all :cen:-ups. A few of our Marine brethren will be along before too long to help you out.

Never assume anything, its the mother of all :cens:-ups.
Agreed.

Rephrasing my question:
Does anyone know whether or not you're required to be a citizen in order to get involved in sniper training?

I am no Marine, nor am I a sniper.

That said, I do not know why you could not be a citizen and perform in one area, but not in another. In other words, if you cannot be a sniper because of your immigration status, you cannot be a Marine. That is my understanding of it, but perhaps a chat with a Marine recruiter could help.

Actually, if he has a permanent residence (aka Green Card) he can join the Marines as an enlistedman. If he can become a sniper right away, I don't know. What I also know is that you can apply for citizenship right after you complete boot camp.
He will have to ask his recruiter about possibilities of becoming a scout sniper later on after he gets his citizenship (if such is required for scout sniper training and qualifications) while he is serving as a 0311 (infantryman). I think that is how it works but calling a few recruiters and other Marines would be a bit better. I know a former USMC Combat Engineer who was an excellent shot, and though not a sniper himself, trained on the M-82.
But he's got to remember that becoming a sniper is some unreal stuff and sometimes if you are unlucky, you may just never get the chance. I was in a trials team made up of the 50 best shots in our brigade of about 3000 and of course even then I wasn't any kind of sniper. Even getting to that level isn't exactly a walk in the park.
I think our friend here should focus more on physical and mental fitness and on becoming a good Marine, rather than any of the fancy stuff. If he makes scout sniper, great, if not, there are plenty of other things to play with.

Try this link below:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/8541.htm
it doesn't say whether or not you need to be a citizen... but the site actually says that for all MOS that require citizenship. So I think maybe you are alright.
Good luck shooting expert, over and over and over and over though.

Last edited:
I'm Australian Born. I used to live in K-Bay, Hawaii(USMC) with my step father back in 1994...
I moved back to Australia for a few years, and then ended up here, in The States.

I've been in America most of my life, but I'm not officially of this country.

I want to be a sniper: That's all I can really say.
Whether the road ahead is rough or rougher, as long as it will take me to my destination, I'll continue to drive forward.

Thank you guys for your help, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I would have have thought the first thing was to become a Marine, once in apply to be a sniper.
From what I've heard, that's correct.

I've also read that you have the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon after Infantry Training completion.

My problem was, I don't know when my papers will be done, and I wasn't sure if me not-being a citizen would be a problem in the future.

I guess my main concern is getting into a position where training to be sniper would not be possible.

It sounds like you are set on the Marines. Sniper, Recon, all that stuff comes after becoming a Marine. Focus on your 50m target. Talk to your recruiter, he can tell you exactly what you need to know.

Good luck and let us know when you sign the box.

Wolf, again. Get in first. Take it one at a time. Not everyone gets to be Recon or sniper. For stuff like sniper... you kind of have to be born with it. And being a good shot alone won't get you to be a scout sniper either.
Once you get in you'll know what I mean. There will be lots of guys who are several cuts above the Marine you may be who aren't Recon or Sniper. Get in and focus on being a good Marine first. Think about sniper and Recon and the other fancy stuff later.
Do you have any idea how many Privates I've seen walk in to my unit say all kinds of "hard core" stuff like that and then wuss out and end up mopping floors at the PX?
Do you have any idea how tough it is to be the top 1/60th shot? That means there are 59 other mortal souls out there, all wanting to shoot well and you still outshoot them. And even then, that may STILL not be good enough to make Scout Sniper. Don't look at this stuff lightly.
I hate repeating myself but I'll say it again, just join the Marines and focus on becoming a good Marine first. Plus, for most people, a lot of that "cool" stuff gets old real quick. It didn't for me, but I was one of the odd exceptions.

Okay once again.

1. If you are a legal resident of the United States. You may enlist in the Armed Forces. Operative word is enlist you may not be commissioned as an officer unless you a citizen.

2. Scout/Sniper is not an enlistment option.

3. Only Marines holding an MOS in the 03XX (Infantry) field may apply for the secondary MOS of scout/sniper.

So......

If your status is correct ....enlist......then.

A. Assure your enlistment gets you an 03XX MOS.

B. Graduate Boot Camp

C. Graduate SOI

D. Get to the FMF learn your primary MOS

E. Shoot High Expert

F. Apply for STA Plt.

Back