Compulsory Military Service? - Page 12

--

January 31st, 2005  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Uh, you're confused. Read the whole post EuroSpike and the one I made before it. Those people are looonng gone. More than a quarter of a century now.
I wonder about why those people weren't just booted out to get rid of them? That is the most usual way to handle crap here. About 25% of fresh grunts quit or are booted out from military during a couple of first weeks during basic training in regular national units. They are given change to just say if they don't like to stay and they get out asap. The best for all that they won't stay.

Later some are sent home by medical reasons, mostly legs or knees broken in training.

One way to handle rest of crap remaining during later training is to transfer them to places called like "E-Planet", "Drug and crime company", "Rogue three" and other carbage cans. One army mate of mine was very good man but one time he just got tired and lost his motivation. He was transferred as B-man to clothes storage to count socks as primary task.
January 31st, 2005  
Charge 7

I was refering to the draft era at the end of and immediately following Vietnam. Being drafted they had no choice but to stay until their time was done. The volunteer force was coming but hadn't happened yet. So they were kept in to keep the numbers up. It was after all the height of the Cold War. That's why nobody got rid of them much as they would've liked to.
January 31st, 2005  
EuroSpike

"It was after all the height of the Cold War. That's why nobody got rid of them much as they would've liked to."

Oh, i forgot cold war. Now the answer for my question is clear.
--
January 31st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Well, see Charge_7 that is the thing. You realize armies have been (and still are, I know amazing) run on a conscriptionary basis and they won quite frequently. In fact, I can't really think of an army in one major war that wasn't run on conscription. So, obviously, conscripts have to do a pretty good job. So for tasks that require less specialization I am unconvinced that the military would be unable to take trained conscripts and fill those roles sufficiently.
January 31st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Basically if a war comes along, the war tends to sort them out. But of course they need proper training and equipment first.
February 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

Okay Whispering Death. Don't take the word of somebody who's _lived_ it. I really don't care. The fact remains that it doesn't work in the US except in time of grave national emergency (to the point of the country's existence being threatened). We are not other countries. Service to the state is not something we grow up with - thank God! And your arguement is moot anyway as it will never be brought back.
February 1st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Yeah, whatever I think I'll take Charge_7's word for it.
In the Korean military usually you find the losers in these places:
1) The office
2) KATUSA (a few exceptions but by in large the rule's the rule)
The other places are mixes.
I'll find out in a few months what things are really like in there.
February 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Comeon Charge_7 don't take it so personally, it's just an idea to get kicked around.
February 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

If you had had to suffer working with those retards, you'd take the very notion of having to do so again _quite_ personally yourself. I don't know any professional who shared that era with me that doesn't feel exactly the same way.
February 1st, 2005  
03USMC

I didn't serve in that era but I had a couple cousins who did. The ones with RA seriel Numbers use to flaunt in in the faces of the one who had a US seriel number.