Comparison of Soviet/Afghan and American/Vietnamese casualties

After having read some of the recent threads on those two wars, the following idea came to me:
Can someone make a statistic that shows American and Soviet casualties in their respective wars, as well as Afghan and Vietnamese casualties inflicted by the respective superpowers attackng them and inflicted on each other (i.e. pro-Soviet Afghans vs Mujahedin & pro-American South Koreans vs NVA+VC)?

I'll start out by making a partial list. The source is wikipedia, which many here deem unreliable.

Soviet:Over 15,000 Soviet military personnel killed
Afghani: 1,000,000 Afghan civilians and Mujahideen killed

The number of Democratic Republic of Afghanistan troops killed is missing, as well as who was responsible for the listed Afghan deaths.

American: 58,226 American military personnel killed
Vietnamese: 1,250,000+ South Vietnamese killed, 1,100,000 North Vietnamese & NLF killed

I'm guessing South Vietnamese were killed exclusively by NVA&NLF, while it says nothing about how many North Vietnamese and NLF were killed by Americans and how many by South Vietnamese.

However, there may have been an additional 2,000,000 civilian deaths in North and South Vietnam.

Last edited:
Mohmar Deathstrike said:
After having read some of the recent threads on those two wars, the following idea came to me:
Can someone make a statistic that shows American and Soviet casualties in their respective wars, as well as Afghan and Vietnamese casualties inflicted by the respective superpowers attackng them and inflicted on each other (i.e. pro-Soviet Afghans vs Mujahedin & pro-American South Koreans vs NVA+VC)?

I'll start out by making a partial list. The source is wikipedia, which many here deem unreliable.

Soviet:Over 15,000 Soviet military personnel killed
Afghani: 1,000,000 Afghan civilians and Mujahideen killed

The number of Democratic Republic of Afghanistan troops killed is missing, as well as who was responsible for the listed Afghan deaths.

American: 58,226 American military personnel killed
Vietnamese: 1,250,000+ South Vietnamese killed, 1,100,000 North Vietnamese & NLF killed

I'm guessing South Vietnamese were killed exclusively by NVA&NLF, while it says nothing about how many North Vietnamese and NLF were killed by Americans and how many by South Vietnamese.

However, there may have been an additional 2,000,000 civilian deaths in North and South Vietnam.
You swine I've just spent an hour finding the same info only to find you've posted it already. ARRRGHHH!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Back