Comparison of Chinese and American Aerial Assets

PershingOfLSU

First American fighters. This information is from the United States Air Force website as well as Wikipedia for F-18s and Global Security for F-14

F-16C/D: 1280
F-15: 522
F-15E: 217
F-18 (Both Models): 1048 received
The Marine Corp has at least 87 Harriers, possibly more.
F-14: At least 168 over 12 squadrons with a maximum of 14 per squadron.

Lastly the Air Force has one squadron of Raptors, with delivery to be finished by 2008 for a total of almost 200.

Currently, not counting Raptors, fighters number: 3322

As for bombers and attack aircraft the United States Air Force has:

B-1B: 63
B-2: 21
B-52: 94
A-10 (All Variants): 367
F-117: 55
AC-130: 21

For a total of 621 bombers and attack aircraft. The Air Force also has some 589 tankers.

Now for China's Fighters from GlobalSecurity.org. The second name is the name of the air craft it's based upon or an alternative name.

J-11/Su-17: 180
J-10/Lavi: 10
J-9/Mig-33: 6
J-8/Finback: 200
J-7/Mig-21 Fishbed: 500
J-6/Mig-19 Farmer: 350

For a total of 1,250 fighters. The age of The J-7's and J-6's being readily apparently. Next is bombers:

H-6/Badger: 80
H-5/Beagle: 40?

For a total of 120 with the Beagles possibly having been phased out of service. Lastly China has roughly 14 tankers.

queens_ranger said:
sure, why not. if it keeps you feeling superior to dwindle them in number on paper
Come on Queen, post a source that refudiates this standard bearer of economic imperialism and military hegemony. Show the dirty so and so he's wrong... jai yo jai yo jai yo. ;)
In all seriousness I cannot find one source in either Chinese, English or Russian that contradicts the claims made by our esteemed CONUS rifleman. Even sinodefence which is a very even handed non-political source with its own intel methods is relatively in line with these posted numbers. In person I have not seen anything that even closely resembles the claims Queen's Ranger (BTW I am still waiting for clarification on your name, hehe) on another post that there are tens of thousands of aircraft in the PLA Air Force.

and even if they did outnumber our planes, each fighter carries 8 missiles at max right? even with fuel tanks, thats at least 4 missiles per plane, many of them Phoenixes which have a 100-plus mile range, so, i still cant see us losing. but, lets assume that they decimate our air units, then what? we still have quite a few (ill try to find real numbers in the morning) cruisers, destroyers, battleships, patriot missiles, etc, etc to deal with the remainder. also, with 120 bombers, what are they going to bomb? the white house? all the way across the world, with 14 refuelling planes to keep them all up? hawaii? maybe. a nuclear missile site or something of that nature? hardly. we have what may be called defense in depth, theres nothing they can do that can seriously hurt us.

bulldogg said:
queens_ranger said:
sure, why not. if it keeps you feeling superior to dwindle them in number on paper
Come on Queen, post a source that refudiates this standard bearer of economic imperialism and military hegemony. Show the dirty so and so he's wrong... jai yo jai yo jai yo. ;)
In all seriousness I cannot find one source in either Chinese, English or Russian that contradicts the claims made by our esteemed CONUS rifleman. Even sinodefence which is a very even handed non-political source with its own intel methods is relatively in line with these posted numbers. In person I have not seen anything that even closely resembles the claims Queen's Ranger (BTW I am still waiting for clarification on your name, hehe) on another post that there are tens of thousands of aircraft in the PLA Air Force.

hey you dont have to believe me. im just saying, somebody claimed the USAF has numeric superiority over the PLAAF, i'd have to disagree. this is similar to your claims about the chinese navy. in person nobody has seen anything that even closely resembles the claims you made on another post about the chinese navy, or about Shantou being the closest airforce base to Taiwan. im not like you i cant invite people to visit the places i've visited, so you can either take my word for it or you can just take it as a second, unsubstantiated opinion. it doesnt affect me i dont have anything to prove. if our american allies are unhappy about opinions that contradict their sense of superiority and are willing to argue for it, go for it. US is the most superior, there it is

It is irrelevent of one side has 500 planes more or less. You have to be mad to compare J6 and J8 to a fleet of F-16 and F-15....Anyone here who says he would to be in a Q-5 and run into a flight of F14s either really insane or really stupid. The only decent fighter aircraft in chinese service are the J9 and the J10, which are a small fraction of chinese airpower. Into that you must add the USAF and USN superiority in electronic warfare and aerial controll....And really, you see that this is not a fare match.

Should the Chinese manage to destroy the USAF, Marines and USN, they would still have to deal with the ICBM's, destroyers, submarines, massive amounts of infantry, huge number of hi-tech tanks and other goodies. And after all that, due to the Second Amendment, they would have to deal with an exceptionally well armed and gung-ho populace - can't with a war against "crazies"

SHERMAN said:
It is irrelevent of one side has 500 planes more or less. You have to be mad to compare J6 and J8 to a fleet of F-16 and F-15....Anyone here who says he would to be in a Q-5 and run into a flight of F14s either really insane or really stupid. The only decent fighter aircraft in chinese service are the J9 and the J10, which are a small fraction of chinese airpower. Into that you must add the USAF and USN superiority in electronic warfare and aerial controll....And really, you see that this is not a fare match.

j9?

jai yo jai yo jai yo
?

You mean Jia Yo, right?

Seriously, bulldog, have you seen the "Chinese mistreatments" on new generation military equipments? I seriously doubt that with heavy investment in learning management techniques and philosophies from Japanese and Americans.

There are some equipments are just plain garbages that Chinese government does not want to pay the heavy maintainance fees.

C'mon, are you willing to spend $3000 to fix your rusted and run-down 1970 car (no sentimental value) or use it to buy a new car?

Boobies said:
jai yo jai yo jai yo
?

You mean Jia Yo, right?

Seriously, bulldog, have you seen the "Chinese mistreatments" on new generation military equipments? I seriously doubt that with heavy investment in learning management techniques and philosophies from Japanese and Americans.

There are some equipments are just plain garbages that Chinese government does not want to pay the heavy maintainance fees.

C'mon, are you willing to spend $3000 to fix your rusted and run-down 1970 car (no sentimental value) or use it to buy a new car?
No, its "jai yo" means "come on". Checked with my chinese teacher, the pinyin is j-a-i.
And if that 1970's rusted run-down car happens to have a FORD on the front hood and a MUSTANG 5.0 LT on the side I will most definitely drop the 3K for a little TLC. 8)

Well, by the time the Raptors get their numbers up the air superiority question becomes mute.

Does China have anything even remotely capable of fighting an F-22?

Never underestimate the human factor. On paper from what the intelligence community has gathered and feels fit to disseminate it would appear that no one has anything to compare with the F-22. But bear in mind that many an "obsolete" aircraft has shot down her foe in combat. P-51 Mustangs, a prop plane with limited electronics, shot down at least one MIG fighter jet. To paraphrase Sun Tzu, everyone and everything has a weakness, the smart enemy will exploit it.

it doesn't matter how many planes you have, what matters is the experience of the pilot and how many good ones you have

Well, surely you understand that mass is a principle of warfare.

America's fighting doctorine stresses the best technology backed by the best training to make the highest quality fighting unit. But let us not also forget that quantity has a quality all its own.

Also bulldog, the people that fly the F-22s are going to be the BEST the USA has to offer. These pilots are going to do three things sleep,eat,train. So highly trained pilots + state of the art fighters = air superiority.

Whispering Death said:
Well, surely you understand that mass is a principle of warfare.

America's fighting doctorine stresses the best technology backed by the best training to make the highest quality fighting unit. But let us not also forget that quantity has a quality all its own.
Ah yes, the tactics of that greath military thinker and tee-totaller Ullyses S. Grant. :roll: Chinese used it too in Korea and fought the US to a stalemate but then there are beaucoup incidences of a small group of highly motivated soldiers outfighting a numerically superior and better equipped enemy. Only a fool puts his faith in numbers.

Rabs said:
Also bulldog, the people that fly the F-22s are going to be the BEST the USA has to offer. These pilots are going to do three things sleep,eat,train. So highly trained pilots + state of the art fighters = air superiority.
Wow, really, I thought they would only use the mediocre pilots the US has to offer. :lol: C'mon mate the world over puts their best people into the best equipment they have, is this supposed to be some sort of American monopoly on fighting logic? I know lets have a simulated combat session and then we can all sleep better tonight knowing we have solved this scenario anticipating every possible human and mechanical frailty. :roll:

bulldogg said:
Boobies said:
jai yo jai yo jai yo
?

You mean Jia Yo, right?

No, its "jai yo" means "come on". Checked with my chinese teacher, the pinyin is j-a-i.
And if that 1970's rusted run-down car happens to have a FORD on the front hood and a MUSTANG 5.0 LT on the side I will most definitely drop the 3K for a little TLC. 8)

it is Jia You, bulldog
just check this forum, where they talk about cheering a game something

http://www.hotspots.com/cgi/board/thread.cgi?id=63872

Back