Comparison of Chinese and American Aerial Assets

I really don't know how long Globel security has not updated...
its data is really really old, just check other nations' equipment numbers, (ie. india's )

China's airforce strength is about like this:
100 Su-30s (76 Su-30Mkk in three deals, 24 Mkk2 in one deal for the navy airforce)

176-200 Su-27 (76 Su-27 bought in three deals, and over 100 assembled in Shenyang, China, more upgraded J-11 or Su-27 will be produced in near future, as there are still about 100 assemble kits waiting to be made in to fighters in China, and they may use the made-in-china engine WS-10A)

30-40 J-10s (one regiment at least in Chengdu military region, it is still being produced at a rate of at least 24 each year, maybe 48 next year as a new production liine in Chengdu aircraft company has been built)

20? JH-7A (one regiment in navy airforce, it is a fairly modern naval airforce bomber, i think it can be called third-generation, just check sinodefence.com)

unknown number of JF-17 cooproduced with Pakistan

4 new KJ-2000 AWACS in service within 2005

over 300 of J-8 B/D/H

the above planes are fairly modern fighters , which in theory should be able to inflict some damage to U.S airforce, however, the outcome of an air battle depends on many factors like training of pilots.

The training of Chinese pilots has always been a serious problem in PLAA. A simple comparison of flying hours of a Chinese pilot and U.S pilot each year can show the difference of the training standard. PLAA still lacks sufficient funds and GUTS (always fear of having accident, and dares not to put risky training programs into the troop, like close dog fight moves) to achieve the training standard of western nation airforce. HOwever, the situation is improving. PLAA has been said to train more fiercely each year, and the situation seems to be much better each single day as China's fast growing economy helps to pump more funds into PLAA.

Would you care to give a source?

Not related to the most recent posts but to the entire topic.

Even if China attacked the United States, it's probable that the United States' retaliation would leave China's air bases almost entirely destroyed. Bombardment using various types of cruise missiles would make sure of that. Without a place to land or take off from, it wouldn't matter how many planes China had.

PershingOfLSU said:

Even if China attacked the United States, it's probable that the United States' retaliation would leave China's air bases almost entirely destroyed. Bombardment using various types of cruise missiles would make sure of that. Without a place to land or take off from, it wouldn't matter how many planes China had.

i was under the impression that US cruise missle stocks were left dangerously low after the latest set of conflicts?
i certianly remember and article about how the conflict in kosovo almost cleared the stocks of cruise missles

PershingOfLSU said:

sorry my friend, I thought everybody would bother to check www.sinodefence.com to see the numbers there

you can also check some old Jane's defence weekly to see the specific deals of Su-30s and Su-27s (all notified arm deals under UN watch).

the J-10 and JH-7A parts can also be found on Kanwa defence

Pinkov (the editor) also said J-11B (Su-27 improved Chinese variant made in China) is now in service armed with new fire-control radar and Chinese made engine WS-10A (that pretty much means CHina can 100% produce Su-27 now).

oh and one more thing, don't you think China is too big to be crippled by cruise missile attacks? like how many airfields China have? and how many more they can build?

Coke, I am IN China, I do not need to check a friggin website mate. :roll: So, how long you been in the states? You sound like a friend of mine from Canada. ;)

Anyways... discussion of hypothetical battles are really an exercise in mental masturbation if ever there was. Rock on guys and let me know who wins. Jai yo Jai yo Jai yo... :lol:

First off, Bulldog is correct, although it isn't a waste of time to evaluate the probobilities of success for one side or another.

cokeisthebest said:
and one more thing, don't you think China is too big to be crippled by cruise missile attacks? like how many airfields China have? and how many more they can build?

Not really, you must understand that America spend 500 billion anually on its operating millitary budget compared to China's 42 billion. The number and range of cruise missiles and delivery systems for those weapons America posesses is vast. In addition to this you must remember that Modern wars between two big powers have often been proxy wars, such as Vietnam and Korea. If the theater was limmited to a proxy war then only a certain number of Chinese airfields would be involved in the fight, making America's job even easier if they chose to attack Chinese soil.

bulldogg said:
Coke, I am IN China, I do not need to check a friggin website mate. :roll: So, how long you been in the states? You sound like a friend of mine from Canada. ;)

Anyways... discussion of hypothetical battles are really an exercise in mental masturbation if ever there was. Rock on guys and let me know who wins. Jai yo Jai yo Jai yo... :lol:

It is Jia You my friend, dont force me to call you names because you have been told twice of the correct spelling of those two words. I dont know much about mental masturbation except physical masturbation feels much better in my opinion.

and Whispering Death buddy, you are totally right that U.S has no problem defeat China's airforce by any meanings (destroying airfields is one of the options), but I still believe China is a much harder enemy to fight compared to Iraq and the attitude of contempt towards Iraqi's airforce seem to not apply onto Chinese airforce.

and I hope that American leaders do not share the same contempt and make careless decisions that may end up disasters for both nations. Knowing your enemy is a huge nation with nearly ultimate manpower and other resources is the base of dealing with China.

China is a strong regional millitary force, but if you want me to be frank I think Americans in general overestimate chinese conventional millitary capability. The biggest threat posed by China is their nukes and their economy. They have absolutely no power to project their force further than their immediate region conventionally, they're pretty much a defensive force as of this day.

A strong miliary power is backed by a strong economy in today's world. A simple comparision between Chinese and American economies show the difference on nearly everything, not just military. However, Chinese will definately seek their military modernization that they think fits with their status as a world power in 21st century.

but I believe that Chinese people have shown themselves as a pretty moderate super-power in the last 5000 years (never cause much serious troubles , and thus they survive), and despite the unpleasant communist regime rules China in the past 50 years, "zhong yong zhi dao" (The way of being moderate") is deeply curved into Chinese culture and nearly every decision Chinese leaders make. It is very hard for Chinese to become really radical and start to piss off everybody and pick a fight. The age of China's expansion is pretty much over (except maybe Taiwan), CHinese may not need a U.S-style super-power military, China needs to have at least a state-of-art armed force to make 1.3 billion Chinese people's voice worth to be listened by others.

One thing I disagree with you is that China's economy is a threat. Maybe you are concerned with U.S' trade deficit, but even Greenspan says the real problem lays within U.S itself (its government deficit forcing the nation to import foreign capitals, and Americans' lavish style of consuming). Not mentioning how much Americans earn from the huge market in China and cheap clothes from China.

"A U.S. policy of protectionism, he said, would threaten the growth in worldwide living standards since the end of World War II. He noted too that moves by China toward a more market-driven economy have benefited the world, and the United States in particular.

"My basic concern," said Greenspan, "is that, if we are forced to implement a very significant unilateral tariff, the dangers to the overall international financial system, in my judgment, are very large."

Also worth noting: China has become a big buyer of U.S. Treasury securities in recent years, which in turn has helped the U.S. keep interest rates low and fund its ballooning trade and budget deficits.

While that means China has a vested interest in the overall health of the U.S. economy, it conversely gives Americans an incentive not to anger the Chinese."

jai yo means add gas, literally. again china has ICBM's and so does about 5 other countries. i do think the chinese has more than a thousand fighters. the air force base in shanghai and daichang have alot more than 500. and there r the air bases in guangzhou and other major cities. the chinese can build more figthters for a cheaper price than the like lockheed martin. its not even reasonable to compare us fighters to chinese fighters, with the F/A-22 its pointless. 4 or more squadrons of those will probably defeat the whole chinese air force. but then its equally unlikely to invade by land into china. china has a population of over 1.6 billion compared to the us of over 200 million. say 1/4 of the pop. of hte us is in armed services thats only 50 million. more than 40? million chinese r in the army. the numbers diminishing but if china was to draft, america would lose a land battle.

Back