Those days,
Pilots of a Japanese communicated by hand signature,
bank, and feeling, etc.
US pilot communicated by radio.

Those days,
Pilots of a Japanese communicated by hand signature,
bank, and feeling, etc.
US pilot communicated by radio.

I think you'll find the Japanese used radio just as much as the US.

The radio systems installed in the early A6M2 and A6M3 variants of the Zero were the Type 96 ku (aviation) Model 1 voice/telegraph system and the Type 1 ku Model 3 Radio Compass or Radio Direction Finder.  The Type 1-3 was the standard RDF unit for most carrier-borne IJN aircraft.  The Type 96-1 system was previously used in the A5M4 fighter series.  The Type 96-1 system consisted of three components, all of which were installed in the cockpit.  The transmitter and receiver were separate units that were placed low on the right side of the cockpit.  They were hung in the standard shock mount that consisted of frames above and below the radio which had bungee cords secured to them.  The bungees were looped around spools mounted on the radio casing.  The suspended radio was protected from shocks by the flexibility of the cords. 

Just a quick example of information about Japanese aircraft and radio coms from WW2. http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/gregspringer/radios/radio_systems.htm

yeah smoke too.. The American Tanks used smoke to train if I am not mistaken.

So okay, planes used radio, how does it work? is it like a walkie talkie?

There were a lot of inferior at radio tech of Japan at that time.
There were a lot of noises.
There was a lot of electric consumption, and it was heavy.
In a word, it was useless.
some pilot also had the person who had thrown this away.
and once upon time,a vietran pilot shot rookie,s antenna by joke while training.

Actually if you watch some of the older movies like "Memphis Belle", you'll see the period equiptment, and the radio's of US aircraft. Just gives you kind of a view of what they had to do to communicate.

hmm.. so its quite harder than I thought..
But its quite impossible to communicate while in air, especially when in a dog fight using hand signals.. they must have used the radio, even if it is useless dont u think?

MightyMacbeth said:
hmm.. so its quite harder than I thought..
But its quite impossible to communicate while in air, especially when in a dog fight using hand signals.. they must have used the radio, even if it is useless dont u think?

I guess it depends on the answer of the following question

What would you rather have: a more maneuverable plane (because it's lighter) and less power consumption or the sight chance of rudimentary communication with your comrades?

For one thing, the German Panzers proved the benefit of constant radio contact. It was this and their traing to work together as a coordinated unit that was the greatest secret of their success. So in the air, where such communication and coordination would be even more beneficial ... well I think everyone would be able to appreciate that I'm puzzled to hear that Japanese pilots disliked their radios. I suppose that it would greatly depend on how big and bulky the things actually were.

I guess it depends on the answer of the following question

What would you rather have: a more maneuverable plane (because it's lighter) and less power consumption or the sight chance of rudimentary communication with your comrades?

No comms, No bombs mate. Having good comms means that with inferior equipment can be very succesful. Superior tactics beat superior equipment every time my man.

Sadly,range of useful was very narrow in combat manuba.
they communicated from mind to mind.
Type96 airo radio,s range was about 13~20norticalmile in best condition.
Type3 was 20~30.
But these are catalogue spec.
Japanese Radio tech was too low as you can,t imagine.
Read Sabro Sakai,s "SAMURAI"

Last edited:
Back