Commissioning Ceremony

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
For once, I get to post one of my own stories instead of borrowing it from Reader's Digest...

Back in the day when I was a still in the Guard, before I came onto full-time active duty, I went through an abbreviated version of Officer Candidate School. At the end, we had our commissioning ceremony, and it was timed so that it would be a part of the annual Basic boot camp graduation and retirement event that we held every August.

Of course, for every ceremony, there's a rehearsal, and we were no different. So the Major (who's acting as the Master of Ceremonies) trots us out on the parade field in formation, and has us practice our oath. "Repeat after me: 'I, (state your name)...'"

Somehow, we officer candidates all had the exact same thought at the exact same moment -- none of us had discussed it beforehand or planned anything. So instead of saying, "I, Andrew Chen..." or "I, David Gold..." or "I, Anthony Ruffini..." (they were both classmates of mine), all fifteen of us said (in perfect unison), "I, state your name..."

The Major just looked out at us, put his head in hand and shook his head, while onlookers started laughing their respective a$$es off. The Colonel in charge of the training regiment just glared at us, and bellowed, "Okay, Privates...!!!" :lol:

Of course, we cleaned it up for the actual ceremony. ;-)

Back