To Commission or NOT to Commission?

HeatSignature

Within a year's time, I will more then likely be heading for The Island if I am permitted to join the Marines.

My uncle and old man have both told me that before joining any branch, you must think about a few things. One thing that has been a heated discussion between us is weather I will be commissioned or noncommissioned.

I said I want to be commissioned so that I can earn ranks such as Lieutenant, Captain, Major, ect.
They keep telling me that I would be more honorable to achieve the highest rank of a Noncommissioned officer and leave the Marines as an E-9.

I am hoping to get opinions from former or active military men and women who can hellp out with this.

Should I enter the Marines as a Noncommissioned Officer or should I see how far I can go as a Commissioned Officer?

Rent the film entitled " The Great Santini". The closer you are to the character portrayed by Robert Duvall the better off you will be in the Marines.

You don't know if you're going to make it a career of not at this point. Even if you try to, they may not allow you to stay in. Is being a senior NCO more of an honor for them or for you? Why isn't being a Captain or Major or Colonel even...an honor?

Also, you won't be entering the Corps as anything other than a Private...You are a loooooong way from being an NCO OR Officer.

Do what you think you can do best...

Watch Generation Kill, it will give you a good cross section of what being a modern enlisted/NCO vs Officer is in the Corps...the good and the bad. The same can be said for the Army as well.

Back