COMMAND PRESENCE

jballenger

I'm an instructor at a police academy and I'm attempting to use military examples to demonstrate COMMAND PRESENCE. Can anyone recommend any good quotes by military leaders past or present regarding COMMAND PRESENCE. Any quotes about related topics such as fitness or appearance woulds also be appreciated.

“Look, act and be sharp—and that’s how others will perceive you.”

"Some times the only reason to follow a man is out of sheer morbid curiousity of what he will do next."

I heard this from RSM Russ Ells, won't say it's original to him, but it works. Also from Russ

"Leading is easy, if you are finding it hard, your doin it wrong."

"How do you expect people to respect you if you don't respect yourself?"

And on the humourous side

"Fail you did! Lead your men you did not. The force is weak in you!"

Command Presence as a leader in the Military and Command Presence as an LEO are two totally different things.

In the Military you have an expectation that you will be obeyed as per the culture.

As an LEO command presence is more how you intially present yourself, the way you carry yourself and your appearance. Military bearing helps in this aspect, but coming off like a pissed off Top is detrimental.

My old RSM would scream at you " You are a useless sh^t I ought to stick my pr^ck in your ear and f**k some sense into you" Which these day would be political incorrect

The most effective NCOs were the ones who maintained their cool while controlling and managing the situation.
That comic book screaming and flapping about was mostly for the movies.
It has about the same effect as trying to get a hog to look at a wristwatch..

The most effective NCOs were the ones who maintained their cool while controlling and managing the situation.
That comic book screaming and flapping about was mostly for the movies.
It has about the same effect as trying to get a hog to look at a wristwatch..

Screaming and flapping about is for cadre.
Noone does that in the real world.. Well except for this one german guy...but that´s another story..

Calm, collected and in control are all important leadership attributes.

KJ sends..

Back