Comblain Carbine

Chukpike

Banned
I have this Brazilian Comblain Carbine manufactured around 1890. It is one of the earliest rifles to have a concealed hammer. It fires a 11x42mm cartridge. While I will be selling it soon it has been fun learning some of its history.
This is one of six or seven Belgium manufactured military versions sold to the Brazilian Army.

View attachment 601

More pictures are available at my Flickr photo site:

http://flickr.com/photos/chukpike/sets/72157603381364559/

Click on the above link for larger pictures including ammunition.

Last edited:
Strange..... I have the front end of one of those rifles siting in my shop right now....

bloody hell, an 11mm? Dose it kick hard?

.45 Caliber Black Powder load..... not that bad in recoil. Remember folks, the standard load back in the day before smokeless powder was a .45 - .50 caliber projectile with a powder charge between 60 grains to 100 grains of black powder. Average velocity was around 1,000-1,200 feet per second from the muzzle.

So recoil is around a 7.62x51mm NATO or your average 12 Gauge Shotgun self defense load (ie 00 Buck / 1oz Slug).

2812041306_c2999b26ff.jpg

.45 Caliber projectile.... looks like it's between a 305gr - 405gr paper patch lead round.

I believe the correct bullet for this carbine is a .435" or 11.2mm diameter. A .45 caliber bore brush is to tight for proper cleaning. I do need to verify with calipers.

View attachment 604

It kicks similar to a 12 gauge shotgun although sharper. If you don't hold a tight shoulder, it will let you know why you should.

It is a weapon that should only be used with black powder. For this reason, and although my family has had it since at least the 1920's is why, I will sell it. I expect to be able to use the proceeds to buy either an M1 or M1903.

Last edited:
buy a M1 through CMP instead of your local gun shop/gun show and you'll save some money. then keep the rifle as a family heirloom. I have a winchester model 1873 that has been in the family since it was originally purchased way back when (serial number range puts its manufacture date at 1879) and i would live in my car and sell the shirt off my back before i would give that gun up.

Back