• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

• Not Bothered!!

• Total voters

zyonchaos

At the moment the RAF have gone slightly crazy in my opinion closing stations and merging them at other units.
Does this fall into the trap of placing all of your eggs in one basket?
What does everyone else think?

That fact has been happening here in the US for many years now. I would say that on balance, and just barely, it is good. In the near term the local area where the closings take place, can be impacted by the loss of jobs, but in the majority of cases (not all) the job situation rebounds within 3 to 5 years. With the downsizing of the military, and the need to save money, the fixed costs of maintaining many bases just doesn't make sense.

I think that one of things they are looking at carefully is were all services have units that are doing much the same thing. Now if they integrated these services you can at least save on administration, let alone supervising officers who just add to to the cost of these units

Here in the US, bases go through closings and reactivation so often that it seems like it costs more than if they just left them open with a maintenance cadre. Out in Mineral Wells, Ft. Wolters has been opened and closed for every war from WWII for training. They had a NIKE base there at one time. Then, during Vietnam, they trained helicopter pilots. They also have old tank trails all over the place.

1. Fort Wolters, established as Camp Wolters in 1925.
Six months after the end of the war( WWII ) the camp was deactivated.

2. The tensions of the cold war, however, resulted in the reopening of the camp in early 1951, under the authority of the United States Air Force.

3. In September 1956 the base became the Primary Helicopter Center
directed by the United States Army.

4. In June 1963 it was renamed Fort Wolters. The Vietnam War increased the need for pilots, and the base became the home for training not just army personnel, but also helicopter pilots for the Marine Corps in 1968 and for the Air Force in 1970.

5. In 1975 orders deactivating the base were issued.

Merger isnt always a bad thing, but I'm sceptical about anything the mod do, as it always seems to just be cost cutting rather than making our military more efficient.

Back