A Combatant's Oath of Allegiance

--

January 14th, 2013  
ggrandwill

Topic: A Combatant's Oath of Allegiance

Hi International Military Forums,
I'm submitting this quote from a book that I'm composing; I believe it reflects the values of a soldier very accurately and might serve someone as a real Oath of Allegiance somewhere. If the quote blows, tell me; if it sucks, tell me, too. So here:

"I will not be killed, I will not surrender and I will not betray my brethren! For as long as I know how not to be killed, not to surrender and not to betray my brethren, I will not be killed, will not surrender and will not betray my brethren!"

Now this is a collaborative atmosphere, I would welcome any ideas on how to make this quote better are welcome. Now what I would add is the dry humor of the RKKA raboche-krestyanskaja Krasnaya Armija Oath of Allegiance, where humor in the Oath of Allegiance is an inherent characteristic of it, for the mystical purposes of Russian Army mysticism, but right away I'm seeing no outlets for adding anything funny to this quote.

I'm hoping you will find this quote worthy.
January 15th, 2013  
headwards

Mate your tripping balls if that makes any sense to you.
January 15th, 2013  
hawky94

It is essentially one line repeated...
--
January 15th, 2013  
headwards

I interpret it as a mind over matter kind of mantra.
January 15th, 2013  
ggrandwill

The reasoning behind the line is simple.

You can promise in your Oath of Allegiance everything good, to be honorable, to be cultured, to be devoted, but as a matter of fact, when there's combat around, the only thing that matters is that you:
3) do not betray others
1) survive
2) do not surrender
There is no honor in combat. There is no culture in combat. All the words fail the combatant. You will not remember any other Oath when there's live rounds.

This quote forms a sort of a Categorical Imperative: what to do in the Army.
Therefore, the one line is repeated three times.
January 15th, 2013  
headwards

What is your military experience and where if you can tell me that buddy?
January 15th, 2013  
ggrandwill

Sir, I'm in fact a civilian that was found unsuitable by the Estonian Army because of a spinal deformity. However, I have developed an unhealthy, very healthy obsession with military and the army.

I write combat fiction, I have lots of old friends that have tens of years of serious Cold War Military behind them and all we talk about is the military, I read the Truppenfyhrung (godamit this text is soo complicated) and I feel as if in the real combat, I'd perform my duty even as infantry, especially as infantry.

I wanna know how not to be killed, not to surrender and not to betray my brethren; I'm here to learn.
January 15th, 2013  
headwards

I dont think you can say that until you have lived it.
I wouldnt talk to my mates who have spent time in afghan and the rest about what it is to be a soldier and what they should aspire to.
Others who have done serious service on this forum can tell you better then I can though.
January 15th, 2013  
ggrandwill

headwards,
I'm really really wondering what the very serious military veterans present will say of my quote that I very arrogantly believe to be a good summarization of a soldier's path.
January 15th, 2013  
headwards

Well lets wait and see. i am interested as well