Combat vest and body armor development.

gladius

Those any one know what is the state armor development right for personal indiviual use?

Is there any vest or body armor right now that can stop a 7.62 round.

If so, it widely available? Or when will it be available?

Is there plans to develope full body armor, kinda like the storm troopers in Starwars?

Is such a thing feasable or will it be too heavy?

I'm wondering if any type of full body armor are planed to come into use any time soon.

I would be surprised if a 7.62mm round hitting the current US Interceptor body armor would penetrate, but I'm not an expert, sorry.

I've never seen it, but I've talked to a few follow Infantryman that said they were in fact hit with a 7.62mm in the chest with the Interceptor Body Armor and after they got knocked over at first, they got right back up and kept fighting.

How true it is, I'm not sure. But take it as you will.

Hmmmm....

Even if it can only stop one or two bullets before falling apart that at least increases your survivability by 100 to 200%. Getting knocked down is better than dying.

I'm wondering if they will come up with full body armor (like a Knight or Star Wars Stormtrooper) for this type of stuff, thats light enough of course.

gladius said:
Hmmmm....

Even if it can only stop one or two bullets before falling apart that at least increases your survivability by 100 to 200%. Getting knocked down is better than dying.

I'm wondering if they will come up with full body armor (like a Knight or Star Wars Stormtrooper) for this type of stuff, thats light enough of course.

It's in early development for a tentative 2020 incept date (of course by army parlance that REALLY means 2030-2040).

I think the bean counters have finally been figuring out that it's the infantry that takes 25% of all casualites in modern wars, so maybe it's time to give them some technological spending too. $200 million spent on a single F-22 and we're still sending the boys that do all the dying out there with 50 year old guns and nothing but some painted cloth between them and a bullet.

Now that you put it that way, its absolutely true. The infantry needs more consideration since they take most of the casualties.

2030 is a long time to wait though.

There are five different levels of armor I,II,III,IV,and V. I will stop fragments, II will stop fragements, III will stop fragments and SMG 9mm rounds, IV will stop 9mm SMG and low power rifle rounds, V will stop a 7.62mm 155 grain Boattail Sierra round. Interseptor is level V. It will stop a 7.62mm round. Levels IV and V have steel and ceramic plates inserted also the flexable Kevlar filler.

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
There are five different levels of armor I,II,III,IV,and V. I will stop fragments, II will stop fragements, III will stop fragments and SMG 9mm rounds, IV will stop 9mm SMG and low power rifle rounds, V will stop a 7.62mm 155 grain Boattail Sierra round. Interseptor is level V. It will stop a 7.62mm round. Levels IV and V have steel and ceramic plates inserted also the flexable Kevlar filler.

What jobs have what vests?

Desert_Eagle said:

I think right now the highest risk jobs have the most advanced vets.

But I'm pretty sure almost all deploying Infantry units have the IBA, and I'm sure eventually everybody would have it.

The money for it is coming.... just slowly.

Desert_Eagle said:
Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:

Usually level I&II are used by vehicle crewman, level III and IV by rear and middle line troops, and IV and V used by front line troops.

hicks said:
Desert_Eagle said:

I think right now the highest risk jobs have the most advanced vets.

But I'm pretty sure almost all deploying Infantry units have the IBA, and I'm sure eventually everybody would have it.

The money for it is coming.... just slowly.

Ya. Each vest cost $1200 brand new, compared to the older PASGT that cost $350 new.

Thanks for the info Cadet Airman Adam Seaman.

I hope they come up with more armor such as face and neck shield. Might be a little heavy but hopefully composite materials will make the stuff lighter. Anyways knights fought with full body armor anf they still managed so its not something that can't be done.

Mohmar 'Deathstrike' said:
gladius said:
I'm wondering if any type of full body armor are planed to come into use any time soon.

You mean armor that lets the wearer be knocked out by a slingshot (The Empire Strikes Back)? :lol:

Lol. You're right, makes you wonder why they wore it other than to look threatening. I guess the Empire has to look mean, even if their soldiers are wearing thin plastic suits.

By the way wasn't it the Ewoks who used the slingshots weren't they in another StarWars movie. (I think?)

No No No, the Ewoks went on to have their own movies, and it is only now, that I;m a parent, that I understand what pure hell I put my parents through by forcing them to wtch the old Beta Tapes of Ewoks with me!

On the Armor - Does it say whether it will stop 7.62 NATO or 7.62x39?

We are very close to a situation where rifles (like the 5.56) will become useless. My best vest is avoidance....when the bullets start flying, hit the deck and return fire. I don't think rifles cause that many fatalities on the battle field anymore - mostly because of the armor, but also because our modern enemies are highly motivated, but excepotionally badly trained. Look at Sgt. Kassal - he got shot 6 times? None of the wounds fatal! I'm willing to bet that the grenade did more damage than the bullets.

Anyways, the more armor the better. Ok, I need to go do something...all this coffee is not gooooood!!!!!

gladius said:
Thanks for the info Cadet Airman Adam Seaman.

I hope they come up with more armor such as face and neck shield. Might be a little heavy but hopefully composite materials will make the stuff lighter. Anyways knights fought with full body armor anf they still managed so its not something that can't be done.

Mohmar 'Deathstrike' said:
gladius said:

You mean armor that lets the wearer be knocked out by a slingshot (The Empire Strikes Back)? :lol:

Lol. You're right, makes you wonder why they wore it other than to look threatening. I guess the Empire has to look mean, even if their soldiers are wearing thin plastic suits.

By the way wasn't it the Ewoks who used the slingshots weren't they in another StarWars movie. (I think?)

Ewoks were in Return of the Jedi.

On the Armor, thanks for the info Cadet Airman Adam Seaman.

Back