Combat experiences of soldiers

mae14

Hi out there! This goes out to anyone from WW1 through current day Iraq. I am an aspiring writer and am creating a book of short stories that will be based on the real combat experiences of soldiers in wars form WW1 or WW2 through Iraq. I am looking for any stories or experiences people would like to share. My email is listed and you may send me responses if you are interested. I would like you to include your name, rank, position, background,etc. But if you feel uncomfortable doing so, it's understandable, and your experience will simply be listed as anonymous. Your privacy will be respected if you wish it, and you will simply be listed as anonymous. No real names will be used unless you specifically request it. There is no guarantee that the book will be published or that your story will be used, though I am going to try and include as many as I can from WWW1 through current day Iraq. They don't necessarily have to be your stories, just any in general.

I want to write this book because my grandfather was a WW2 veteran (on the U.S. side) and I grew up listening to his stories as an American fighter pilot. I have been interested in war stories ever since. I think there are many people out there as well who are curious about the lives and experiences of soldiers. I ask for details because I wish to have no false information and to be as accurate as possible. Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Sincerely,
Aurora Brown Van Ausdall
mae14@hotmail.com

just curious but...

which side was your grandfather on? your last name sounds German but your flag icon says American.

I am American...

My last name is Dutch. It means "of the valley."And my grandfather was an American pilot. Why curious?

Re: I am American...

mae14 said:
My last name is Dutch. It means "of the valley."And my grandfather was an American pilot. Why curious?

i dunno why i asked really. it would have been kind of ironic i guess.

Why would it be ironic behemoth? One thing if you ever wear a uniform that you will discover is that soldiers respect other soldiers even if ordered to kill them. History is full of examples, in another thread someone mentioned the British burned everything in DC but the marine corps barracks out of respect. Spend a few hours with a Vietnamese man who fought against the US in Vietnam or his counterpart in the US and you will find they respect each other. A man who does not respect his enemy is a fool.
Nor is there anything ironic about people from other countries that have fought the US whose children live there now. It is a country of immigrants. Would you find it ironic the large number of mexican people living in the US since they once fought a war against each other?

ok fine. ironic was a bad word to use. i just saw a german sounding last name with an american flag. i wanted to know which side he was flying for. nothing more.

My paternal grandfather was born in Germany at the tail end of the 19th century. He came here as a child with his parents a decade before WWI. As a recent German immigrant he wasn't allowed to fight for the US in that war. However his three sons did fight for America in WWII. His oldest son was with the "Screaming Eagles" of the 101st Airborne at Bastogne and oh so many other engagements in the European Theater. His youngest son lies somewhere on the bottom of the Pacific in a sunken US submarine and his middle son, my father, fought from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima as a US Marine in the Pacific island hopping battles. All those men had a very German last name - as do I.

Back