Combat Copter

DolphinDancer

Over the weekend I happened to be channel surfing and came across this program about a new copter that was being tested. Trouble is I had missed most of it,(typical), and don't know when it was recorded. OK this copter was ugly I think, really weird looking. The back rota was kind've encased and the exhaust fumes were cooled in the tail section before being expelled, making it difficult for heat seeking missiles to find their mark. It can travel at 80 knots backwards. So has this thing a name and is it in use.

:viking:

I've seen that show too, it's about the Commanche.

The Commanche project has been cancelled.

How come? I played the game Commanche 4! It is modelled after the heli! and the Heli was great! I think The US Army may be changing the project into some secret helicopter project!

Damn, that blows -- they terminated the project almost two years ago (according to the Sikorsky site), and this is the first that I'm hearing about it. That was supposed to be a heckuva attack chopper.

AJChenMPH said:
Damn, that blows -- they terminated the project almost two years ago (according to the Sikorsky site), and this is the first that I'm hearing about it. That was supposed to be a heckuva attack chopper.

The Comanche? It was primarily a Recon chopper, not an attack chopper as we know it. Since the weapons are housed internally, it could only carry so much. It was an interesting idea and concept, but it was a Cold War left over and ended up pricing itself out.

Now if we can just get them to cancel the V-22.

Back