Combat boot tread designs

PatientZero

Does it matter?
What kind of tread designs to avoid?

I'm trying to design a new tread design for a combat boot, a rough terrain environment.

Latest combat boot soles have changed quite a bit, with flatter sole design.. I'd think a flat sole bottom would be quite problematic to wear on rocky/jungle environment.

Are bigger teeth & gaps better? i.e. Panama sole
Or smaller teeth & gaps? i.e. fishbone sole

Any input is greatly appreciated ;)

I seriously doubt that you be able to tell any difference?

It's hardly like the change over from the old hob nailed leather boot soles to the newer synthetic soles, that was a huge difference. Tread pattern is more a matter of whatever happens to be on the bottom of the most suitable (comfortable) boots you can get.

I seriously doubt that you be able to tell any difference?

True, it is quite difficult to tell the difference between good sole treads..

I think we can agree it's quite easy to tell when we are wearing a boot w/ mismatched sole tread (trac-shun anyone?) :smile:

I prefer Panama soles myself .

Personally I do too.

But can we improve the Panama tread?
The only drawback of the Panama tread that I can think of, is due to the deep ridges, making the design impossible to be made as a dual density sole, not without alterations on the ridges

Then again, alterations on the ridges, making them shallower might break the formula.

Seeing the trend of all the newer combat boots w/ flat sole, I wonder if those soles are as effective as the panama sole in outdoor environment.

My experience wearing flat sole boots is limited to the Oak's firststrike boots, which IMHO a very comfortable shoe to wear.. casually... but I wouldn't dare to wear them if I'm going to do a lot of climbing or running on uneven terrain.. the traction on the tread was pretty terrible as well.

Any thoughts on the flat soles?

Back