The Colombians are Coming

this could work, i see these guys have much experience in fighting terrorists. lets hope they succeed in the mission they are given :)

Gotta feeling that NATO and the world ain't ready for how Colombian SOF operates in a COIN enviroment. They are capable but their methods are focused on completing the mission and eliminating the enemy, not on good PR.

Gotta feeling that NATO and the world ain't ready for how Colombian SOF operates in a COIN enviroment. They are capable but their methods are focused on completing the mission and eliminating the enemy, not on good PR.

you mean like using torture etc?

No their ROE's. If alot of the stories I've heard from guys who've done advisory work there are to be believed....................not a whole lotta intelligence gathering done on the surviors.......

These guys have been doing COIN for a long time. Depending on the unit their very skilled, but Latin American COIN is different.

No. Not at all it's a different world, different terrian, the tali's have a different mind set (Farc tends to avoid suicide bombers) and different type of COIN. My worry would be the Colombians becoming frustrated.

Off-topic, What does COIN stands for? :?

On-topic, now, I wonder if they could deal with the desert climate and mountainous country from the heavily jungle country....

War the old fashond way!

Interesting ^^

I think that Afghanistan will turn into a huge play ground for special forces from all over the world...

We will see how it will evolve.

If your population has the stomach to accept it, yes. If not... it's not going to work. (my opinion only).
Screw the population. The people you are serving really have no authority to tell you how to fight a war that is being fought to protect them.
The soldiers themselves only follow lawful orders, and not debate policy.

Well, colombians have a lot of fighting experience and good training. Other thing as said before is the way of acting is different in Colombia than in Afghanistan (snow and desert...and of course political instructions).

Anyway a good soldier is a good soldier, they will be on the line easy for sure and will do a good deal there. They have had american colaboration for time and will have many officers trained also by USA, I think they will have no more problems that usuals in any unit.

About wheather, good equipment and good preparation can help that is not a very important deal. When 1st gulf War I read an interview fron an Iranian officer who had fought against Iraq for years (I think remember that war was for 8 years long). He was saying all time that coalition forces will find a fighting scene they could not stand, that iraquian had 8 years of continuously experence at war, bla, bla, bla...we all know what happend.

Well for the Colombians, all my support

Screw the population. The people you are serving really have no authority to tell you how to fight a war that is being fought to protect them.
The soldiers themselves only follow lawful orders, and not debate policy.
What country are you from? In the US the people elect the officials who set policy that the military enacts. If the people don't like the policy, they elect new officials so the officials only empower the military to do things the American public can stomach. That's reality.

Back