Colombia wants to buy weaponry from Russia - paper

rock45

Would Russia sell arms to both sides here? I can't see Russia messing with Venezuela's Chavez on this. Venezuela's arms deals are like Russia 3rd or 4th largest in years and he could still pull part of it back. If this happen I think this would push Chavez directly into the arms of the Chinese. I think the chances are very low myself the future transports, subs, SAM's, deals are all things Colombia doesn't have the same money for. I think this has a 10% chance if happing or less. This is a ploy on Colombia's part to get advance F-16 Block-52s and other high tech weapons. Ecuador and Peru won't be far behind and it will force Brazil finally to make a fighter selection and spend the money.

Colombia wants to buy weaponry from Russia - paper

27/05/2008 12:40 MOSCOW, May 27 (RIA Novosti) - Colombia is seeking to expand military-technical ties with Russia in an apparent attempt to counter the growing military might of neighboring Venezuela, a Russian business daily said on Tuesday.
Colombian Vice President Francisco Santos will visit Russia on June 1-10. According to the Kommersant newspaper, the 46-year-old politician personally contacted the Russian leadership requesting the visit.
"It's about time our countries intensified relations," Kommersant quoted Santos as saying. "There is a lot we can do together."
During his visit, Santos will most likely attempt to convince Moscow to revise its policy in Latin America, mainly in regards to arms trade.
Colombia is worried about the Hugo Chavez regime's military buildup, boosted by Russia's arms exports.
In the last three years, Venezuela has bought 24 Su-30MK2V fighters, Tor-M1 air defense systems, 31 Mi-type helicopters and 100,000 Kalashnikov assault rifles from Russia. Caracas is also planning to conclude several contracts with Russia next month on the purchase of military equipment worth at least $2 billion, including transport planes, submarines and attack helicopters.
Relations between traditional rivals Colombia and Venezuela seriously deteriorated after the fiercely anti-American Hugo Chavez came to power in Venezuela in 1999.
Chavez has branded Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, the United States' main ally in South America, "Washington's poodle" and warned that war could break out if Colombia struck on Venezuelan soil.
Bogota has repeatedly accused Caracas of supporting rebels from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
The region was brought to the verge of armed conflict at the beginning of March when U.S.-ally Colombia bombed a FARC rebel camp in Ecuador, killing 24 rebels. Venezuela and Ecuador then sent thousands of troops to the Colombian border, but a peace deal was soon reached.
At present, Columbia is determined to maintain the balance of forces in the region even if it means buying Russian weaponry. In exchange, Bogota hopes to convince Moscow to reduce arms exports to Venezuela, Kommersant said.
According to the paper, Colombia is willing to order attack and transport helicopters, Sukhoi fighters and armored vehicles.
Francisco Santos is one of Colombia's most influential politicians and the likely successor to President Alvaro Uribe.

Link
http://en.rian.ru/world/20080527/108540364.html

The Soviet selling arms... except for profit this time. Who would've thought.

I'll stick with my AR-15s. The AK series rifle is nice and all. I do own one but that's only because I got it for a steal.

Russia

Russia could have done better if they would have produced Mig-29M built off the Indian Mig-29K or a Mig-35. Besides India who would have jumped at the much lower priced Fulcrums compared to everything else being offered but also Algeria might have been a big sale for "new" produced Fulcrums not ex-Iraqi frames from the 80s.

Smaller order that might have been missed:
Libya - still might happen
Malaysia - has (16) Mig-29N sort of like a Mig-29SE, but old
Sudan - if less attention was being paid to it (has around 12 9.12A models)
Eritrea - has some now
Ethiopia - not sure
Peru - has 16A and 3 SE models
Sri Lanke - I think ordered 5 currently
Burma -Liked there Mig-29s and didn't like the Chinese supplied fighters but wouldn't be ordering any right now that's for sure.
Syria - On and off arms purchases one never knows and why there not bombed into little pebbles is beyond me, ops slip out.

Even if these countries only ordered 10 to 20 new fighters each one could see lost sales not everybody wants large full size fighters. With India they couldn't blow it more RSG MIG management only lacks behind Rafale's sales personnel and losing Algeria was nearly as bad, they lost over $2 billion on that order. I wonder did I leave anybody out from Europe?

Back